Star Citizen - VR Citizen Guide & Website 2021

Hello everybody!!! Im the VR Guy for SC!!! I just found out about this place the other day and finally got a chance to read thru everything.

What @drowhunter said is correct, the best way with fewest programs for now is VorpX: Desktop Viewer App. NOT VORPX itself. HOWEVER: I cant run VorpX Desktop Viewer on my setup and have been working on this with ralf, the VorpX developer for a few days now. Once i can actually get this method to run, i’ll be able to film a tutorial for it!!

Having said that, using vorpx desktop viewer mode works those that want to try it out!! Be sure to PAUSE the vorpx watcher b4 you launch it so that it doesnt hook into itself :slight_smile:

Drop by the discord to join the VRSC Community, and with that, welcome to the VRse:

<3 o7

6 Likes

Hey @chachi_sanchez welcome! o7

Welcome, someone get this Guy a Pimax stat. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And then for some future discussion with Silvan-CIG, we should bring up the issue of canted lenses and avoiding the need for Parallel Projections. Really don’t want that performance hit on SC :+1:t4:

1 Like

@chachi_sanchez good to see more devs joining your Discord. Are you aware of the general issues around canted displays which affect the Pimax and Valve Index headsets? It’s something we are always trying to push devs into factoring in when making VR implementations.

If not I’ll try and find some relevant links for you here. I can give a rough explanation but I know plenty of others here are far better qualified to explain than me!

OK I had a much much better experience using VorpX desktop, pretty smooth at 1080p with 60FPS in headset and low latency on GPU and CPU. Just testing free flight in Arena Commander though.

Regardless I still had some stutter when looking around, this went away I believe by turning off Fast Vsync and Triple buffering in the Nvidia CP, which I had recently turned on. VorpX recommended Vsync off everywhere. I had it set off in game for a while anyway.

I have no prior experience with VorpX, don’t have an SC / Pimax profile for the headset either. Just using default profile + tweaking the VorpX settings in game so I’m sure it can be improved a lot once I figure out what I’m doing!

Thanks for the suggestion @drowhunter :+1:t4:

Edit Holy **** I just had a solid 90FPS at Everus Harbour inside and then flying outside :exploding_head: Ofc it will be a different story on surfaces and still a few things to sort out eg menus are cut off, 1080p means HUD numbers are a bit blurry etc but I really didn’t expect it to be playable in the PU

1 Like

Cool, glad it helped. Im not sure why but in alot of pancake games VD just stutters like crazy where Vorpx Desktop is full framerate. Probably down to implementation.

Maybe post a guide ?

I assume you are still using reshade for 3d, and that my assumption was correct that Vorpx Desktop has a lock to head feature?

I was having trouble getting opentrack to work, i’m tempted to dust off my actual TrackIR lol.

1 Like

Yep I will do later when I’m done tweaking it all, still early days while I figure it out.

Yes Virtual Desktop was terrible for me, not viable. So I’m just happy VorpX Desktop does the trick. VXD seemed happy after turning off every VSync option I could find - as long as the GPU was stable.

I assume you are still using reshade for 3d, and that my assumption was correct that Vorpx Desktop has a lock to head feature?

I turned Reshade off when getting VXD set up. Will go back and turn it on later. Just to note I know nothing about any of these systems, so I learnt a bit from the pinned items on Chachi’s Discord.

1. Reshade doesn’t use proper 3D depth, it uses a stereo effect. Not the same and things at different distances aren’t really taken into account.

2. It automatically turns off the feature on detection of any game process utilising network traffic to avoid being an exploit online. So will have to see if it will actually stay on. Even in solo Arena Commander the performance was too bad via Virtual Desktop for me to focus on that, so will check again via VXD.

1 Like

OK here’s a first draft. It was longer than expected so I made a new post. I’m sure it will need work. As mentioned I will generalise it for posting on SC Spectrum or elsewhere but primarily aimed at Pimax users:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/sc-vr-general-guide-with-vorpx-desktop-eac-friendly/37858

1 Like

Lol the disclaimer is as long as the guide :rofl:.

1 Like

Lol yeah well I want to spend more time helping people get set up, and less time dealing with complaints :smiley:

Especially if it ends up on other Discords or Spectrum where people may know even less than me about VR in the first place etc

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.