Space.. The Final Frontier.. These are the voyages of the Pimax 8KX!

Thanks for the information. I can see how different the experience will be and I’d love that, but unfortunately I don’t have the space or the cash for it. I need a headset too - Yaw vr is cheap, small and has wider range of use, and I guess a little motion simulation is better than just sitting at a desk.

I apprecieate your comments and agree.

2 Likes

If you dont have space and cash , consider g-seat as your first montion expirence(~ 3.5k$) and you can upgrade in future and still keep this seat https://simxperience.com/en-us/products/motionsimulatorkits/gs-5g-seat.aspx
GS-5 Review - Motion Hardware and Software Discussion - InsideSimRacing Forums

3 Likes

By the look of it, I would take the YawVR over that any day. The roller coaster demo of the YawVR was vaguely similar to sim racing as well, I wouldn’t sell it too short…

4 Likes

Consider that you get 1.5 Yaw for that price i dont think so.

Sure , just saying that personaly I’m buying (if expensive ) hardware which give me possibility to upgrade in future. Yawvr have build and comfort limitation.

1 Like

I would agree. Although I do think flight, space & rollercoaster are where the yawvr really shines brightest.
Spinning in circles (using motion compensation) with large amounts of pitch & roll is something you can’t really get in most other simulators & its a really nice feeling.

I haven’t fitted my wheel yet to really comment as I’ve only had the device 2 weeks & I’m working through things with hotas first.
but others have said dirt rally 2.0 is good.
It is also capable of trying to simulate traction loss through yaw axis & can keep a constant g on yaw axis if you have the equipment to let it rotate in circles.
Also a separate heave module with possibly other dofs is something being worked on for the future of yawvr

If my only use case for yawvr was pure car racing with it having a permanent home, maybe i would look at other simulators, but I will comment when I have real experience using it with a wheel & pedals rather than speculate more (Will be soon)

4 Likes

Oh …Dont tell this to any active sim racers. Rollercoaster is closer to flight telemetry/effects than a car. Feeling of road surface ,tires grip, slip effects , bumps this what sim races require for better feel simulated car and squeeze out extra miliseconds from tracks. Gforces are less important in sim racing and in VR you dont even want it to munch. Long axis range looks always great at demonstration but most users will tell you that during longer gameplay they using only 30~50% of that range and smoothing axis .

1 Like

I thought the YawVR was very immersive and worked great. They even had a fan connected to it to give air flow at CES. I thought the only downside is this thing is waaay too close to the ground. The way it was configured you had to lay back in it and vertical seated position wasn’t as good or comfortable.

5 Likes

Granted, road surface may be another matter. The 6dof simulator I tried at CES with the XTAL did handle that very well when landing an FA18C on pavement (which perhaps unfortunately I was the only person to do… twice).

But if I had to choose between the YawVR or a seat kicking machine, it would have to be the YawVR.

Now that said, I hadn’t really thought about the need for road bump simulation. In the longer term, I think it is worth combining the mechanics of both types of motion simulators.

3 Likes

Please let us know, I’m very interested!

After you’ve had a chance to test with Dirt Rally 2.0, just how accurate is the turning sensation? As everyone knows, and is commented on in this thread, a ‘motion simulator’ “can only provide the transition of gees, not the actual gee effect”.
Does the spinning used cause any vertigo (dizziness)? 360 degrees/sec?! God help my pets! -and your child! Keep the door closed! Yikes!
How well does it handle the bumps?
Are you sensitive to VR sickness? How did this go?

And a few other questions, if you’ve got the time…
Can you address PimaxUSA’s comment about needing to be in an inclined position, rather than an upright seated position like you would be if you were actually driving/flying? Also, is it comfortable?

Does it require setup using your phone or can it just be plugged into the network? A video I watched showed the bluetooth/app setup, but there’s what appears to be an ethernet port on the base.

Will I miss my buttkickers?

How do you handle cable management for your Pimax? It looks like ‘overhead’ or bust?

Looks like you’re using the Pro version?

In one picture, it looks like you’re using both joystick mounts: how is the keyboard secured?

Thanks, that looks like fun and I can’t wait to hear more about it!
Btw, in case anyone is wondering, the order page says that they’ve got so many ‘pre-orders’ that they’re doing an ETA of 30-50 days…

4 Likes

Ok once I have done some tests with dirt rally, i will let you know. You cant get heave from it but bumps could be assigned to pitch axis.
Tbh it’s all about setup & what/how You assign forces.
So far the yawvr game-engine plugins are all new & fairly basic.
They are plug & play though so it’s a nice touch even if they still need work.
Athough I have simtools, i havent learned to use it yet. It’s very complicated.

The turning sensation feels really good in planes & rollercoasters at least but I will say most people are not using yaw or at least not much yaw due to wire limitations & no motion compensation.
This is actually still really good & is how they demo the unit.
When I’ve used full yaw, I’ve done it with usb extensions & hmd cable coming from above but you do need to be aware that your wires can & probably will start to twist.

The 360° per second will be more marketing talk & less useable. That would be using full power which would be flinging you about & not feel good.

Another limitation to using wheels & pedals is you need to be aware of adding weight. You can’t put a heavy 5kg + set of weighted pedals on the footrest. Need to be kept as light as possible.
I have thrustmaster t3pa @2.8kg & I believe these are towards the upper limit of what is recommended.
Also they have not created a proper pedal foot plate yet so solutions people have made so far are made of wood, while we wait.
It only ships with standard footholder plate.

I personally dont get any bad feeling from the spinning on what I have tested so far ie… xplane & no limits & neither have any of my family.
I am completely immune to motion sickness though.

Personally I find the position fine & I have spent 3+ hours in it in one go. But if you are quite tall, it might be different.
The 45° angle thing to me feels good & once you’re in vr, you pretty much don’t realise. At least that’s how I feel in flight & rollercoaster.
I haven’t heard any complaints about this on the discord server or from my family.
But you can calibrate its start position anyway. So you could calibrate it pitched forward a bit if you wanted & lower the forward pitch limit to compensate.
If car racing, you probably want the limits low anyway.
I made a base to raise mine 10cm & it gives much more useable pitch.

You can set it up through phone app or Windows app.
I think i had to search for it on my phone first time, but windows app is more stable so I only use that now.
It only needs a power cable & autoconnects to my router on start or could be wired to it by Ethernet instead if you wanted.

You will miss your buttkickers.
It has built in vibration but its early days & works better on some plugins than others. Some not at all.
& still hasn’t really been set up to work well for most games.
It presently can’t be used with standard sound as a buttkicker could either.
Edit today they released a test showing tests of it vibrating from standard bass so I guess that’s coming at some point.
For now i have been using my woojer vest in xplane11 for some feedback.

I’ve been using with index & cable management is from above via pulleys. But I really want to go full wireless.
I dont think you will easily be able to use full yaw with power cables etc…

I am using the pro version & I would recommend not getting standard as there is no headrest. Amongst a few other small things.

It only comes with 2 plates standard, so I made a plywood plate in the shape of my wheel base. I then drilled 2 holes for the wheel bolts.
Then I used Velcro to stick another piece of ply to the base of my keyboard which has aligning bolts.
So I just undo the nuts to take the keyboard off & can then pop the wheel on. Although I haven’t used it yet.
You can order extra plates, but I hadn’t & needed to make something up quick

Although I haven’t set up my wheel & pedals yet, i would say if driving is your no:1 use case & you have little interest in flight etc…
Maybe hold out for more driving reviews.
Because pedal weight, wheel position etc. Are probably less ideal then on a standard sim rig.
I will test myself within the next week or 2 though.

Personally, if I was asked to recommend this to someone who only sim races, i would say probably not the best thing to use but should work ok.
But maybe look at seat movers in a similar price range instead.
Or a full 6dof actuator setup if you have a permanent home & 5k - 10k upwards.

But to me it is much more than for only driving & the space & flight Sims interest me a lot.
So I would definitely not pick a seat mover over this for my use case

10 Likes

For the record Feelthree already has a plan for a ‘heave’ motion addon after the initial simulators have shipped. Which can give an even better feel for racing sims.

1 Like

I checked the website today for compatable games and there are only 13. Does this mean only 13 games will work with the YawVR?, They also state that its compatible with the Xbox controller, Im wondering if this means that a game like Wipeout or any other flying game when used with the Xbox controller can be easily made to work with the YawVR??

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thanks for the detailed answers! Now we just need you to take a bunch of time off work and do more playing so we can hear about the driving! :grin:

I’d like to do more driving but my motion rig has enough slop to make me sick as a dog even with my VR legs! Flight sims do better although dog fighting (omg , but I’m bad!) in Elite Dangerous today has me a bit woozy. That slop is a killer!
The video on the roller coaster looked promisingly accurate so I have hopes for the YawVR and driving. Keep us posted!

2 Likes

That’s a bit pricier but is it even shipping? Last bit on their “time-line” is from 2018 going into Kickstarter.
(sorry if I missed something obvious)

No theres no indication when or if it will ship but the dev does keep up with KS updates so its one of those ‘maybes’ that might bear fruit one day ¯\(ツ)

Looks like its back up- https://www.feelthree.com/

2 Likes

On their own game engine, they may only have 13 games so far. Some of them need a little work also.
But they are adding more. They are even working on 1 for gtav right now.
Their game engine is still a work in progress & didn’t even exist not that long ago.
But if you download simtools, you can have it work with all the simtools plugins (much more) If you set them up yourself.

The gamepad plugin is to make the simulator work from games with no plugin or no telemetry data.
It works straight of the joystick I believe & has other settings. I havent tried it yet though.
It won’t be as good as a proper plugin from telemetry data but is a work around

3 Likes

I’ve decided I’m going to get a friend to make a cockpit that I hope can also double as a storage unit for the joysticks etc. I’ve decided to also purchase an R-Go split ergonomic keyboard, which I figure might be better for use in a VR cockpit by physically separating the 2 halves of the keyboard.

1 Like

I am seriously considering buying one for PC Cars 2 . Did you demo any driving simulator games ? It’s the cheapest option for me in Australia by a long shot .

My pictures are a little bit older (with DK2 & HTC Vive), but I am eagerly waiting for my 8KX!

Post in the forum including parts list (in German)!

5 Likes