Space.. The Final Frontier.. These are the voyages of the Pimax 8KX!

EX62jZ5WkAYwM8s

About to go back to where it all started for me a little over 5 years ago… Can’t wait to jump back into some Elite Dangerous in VR sitting in Battle Chair but this time using the Pimax 8KX… Needless to say but space has never looked so good! []-)

Edit: Since many people seem interested in my chair here is the article I wrote on how I built it:

22 Likes

Think I also will fire up ED when i get my 8K-X :slight_smile:

7 Likes

“Space has never looked so good”

What about colors, contrast, and black levels though? I am considering 8KX, but I am getting conflicting information on how it compares to Index in these regards.

4 Likes

Colors can be abit better in Index but low ress and small FOV.

2 Likes

Me too. I bought my 8K specifically for Elite D. It’s been a few weeks since I’ve played it, partly because I needed a break after 14 months on a voyage of exploration (and also partly to do with reluctance to play with an 8K, knowing I’ll have an 8KX in a few months).

8 Likes

If conparing to oled Black will not be as inky. However as @neal_white_iii pointed out with the oled some details like a cloud like fog was being omitted? In terms of gas clouds that you would see on monitor.

Color gamut might be nice though for a technical standpoint.

3 Likes

Cool. Elite Dangerous really does look amazing in the 8kX. Please be sure to consult my spreadsheets if you haven’t already for best resolution.

Temporarily, this is my flight sim chair for Elite Dangerous and such. Notably, I find angling the stick a bit forward, like an F-16, helps a lot ergonomically.

(in case anyone is wondering about the safety of hanging the VR headset like that, there are extra paperclips making sure the velcro cannot release)
Also, I know this looks very crude. It was thrown together a few weeks ago to put some ergonomic concepts to the test.

8 Likes

I’ve been attempting to get into it, but have yet to complete the tutorial first mission, which involves binding all the controls into this VR cockpit overlay program, but it doesn’t seem to let me swap tabs so I can’t request docking on stations, which is a problem that no one seems to mention in the github for it so I hope I’m not being dumb, and I need to figure out which button if any does so.

3 Likes

By default, that is mapped to an axis. There should also be a place to map it to a button, but I think it is elsewhere, so look around.

2 Likes

Hm… Well it basically allows me to have normal VR gear run the whole game, and the dev said something about it being mapped to the touchpad or thumbstick, but both do the same thing weirdly enough. I use index controllers with my pimax.

2 Likes

What is the name/category of the axis in the controls list?

Nice, I’m on an ED break for a few months now but will return with the 8KX :+1:

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t remember.

Being in the headset, you don’t see the crudity anyway. My setup is clamped to a pair of end tables. Ugly but modular and cheap. My only criteria being that the controller positions match the internal view for max immersion.
Anyone watching that finds the system fugly soon gets over it once inside.
Or is welcome to leave :grinning:

4 Likes

Well yes, but it feels a bit crude too. Sometimes I want to punch an MFD button with a controller, instead of the excess wood framing…

Also, I really like that vrgamerdude used a chair with an adjustable headrest. Looks automotive, which I have been thinking might be an awesome source for these things.

4 Likes

They can be for sure(automotive seats).

If you want ones that can be easier to mount Mini Vans with removable captain seats can be good. Otherwise a riser booster is needed.

A friend years ago had the low seat option from front seats from a ford Topaz mounted to ply wood.

1 Like

You cannot bind that action to a single button (or combination).

Iirc, with the default bindings, press and continue holding down the “UI” command button, while pressing left, followed by tab-right, then down, right, and accept. This is from memory, I’d need to verify that sequence in-game, but it should convey the general idea. The main thing is to keep the UI button down.

2 Likes

Looking for most comfortable and adjustable actually. Things like the ability to lift/lower both front/back of the seat cushion, inflatable lumbar support, and warmers. Was thinking of taking a driver’s seat from a modern car and connecting it to 12V power.

3 Likes

UI command button? Is this on the vr motion controllers, or is it a holographic button?

On my HOTAS. I don’t think Elite D supports VR controllers, but I could be mistaken. (I don’t own any, since I only play seated games.) Even if it does, it might be problematic. ED really needs at least a dozen buttons. Even though my HOTAS has 16 buttons, I’ve had to map most actions to 2-at-once button commands.

In addition, I use VoiceAttack with an HCS Voice pack. I use voice commands for infrequent commands, like “request docking”, so that I can reserve command buttons for things I use often, like boost or initiate jump.

I highly recommend this combo for VR, because ED has a LOT of commands and you can’t see the keyboard in VR. This is in spite of the fact that I’m a touch typist. There are a lot of voices available; I use the Obsidian Ant pack.

3 Likes