Space.. The Final Frontier.. These are the voyages of the Pimax 8KX!

yeah but it’s total garbage tho - the devs don’t give a crap.

to play i have to physically remove a GPU and use a keyboard.

that is not VR friendly

OK, well that’s just weird… IDK about having to remove a GPU since I don’t do SLI because no VR games support it AFAIK but do you not have a HOTAS? Works great with my X52 and even my cheap T-Flight… hell you can even play it with an Xbone controller! Pair any of those with Voice attack and this game is still a Sci-Fi / Star Trek nerds wet dream!

4 Likes

that’s my point, the devs don’t give a crap.

as for wet dreams, i’m an adult :rofl: :rofl:

Haha… well you certainly seem to be agitated by this but I have never found Frontier to be anything like what you say as in “not giving a crap”… They were one of the first full games to support VR from the beginning and it is still working fine for me and many others 5 years later so… Anyway I am off to play Elite now and I’m sure I will still enjoy it just as much as I always did back in the day! [;]-)

3 Likes

I don’t believe that. I think the bigger problem is they would likely need to create a new game engine to really take full advantage of VR and multi gpu and multi cores.

2 Likes

this is my elite dangerous setup now…

15 Likes

Here’s mine… :slightly_smiling_face:

First edition:

And second edition (re-used the wooden side pieces):

Old pictures.

Only thing I want to change is the height of the armrests (too low). Also they could angle outwards slightly… :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: Noticed there’s no wheels on the frame in the picture of it “bare”. I forgot I added those later (fixed wheels in front and wheels that turn and brake in the back) as it’s way you heavy to move around without it… :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

@DrWilken
Very nice indeed! If you don’t mind my asking, where did you get that seat from, and is it powered/motorized?

4 Likes

It’s bought second hand from a guy who had replaced his Audi A2 seats with leather seats as far as I remember.

Not motorized. Thought about it, but thought the gains were too small compared to the effort of wiring and buying a power supply for it.

I’m the only one using it anyway so it’s kinda set and forget… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Very nice. So many seem to be strapping a HOTAS on an office or ‘gaming chair’, I have to admit, I am a bit surprised so many others here on the Pimax forums also seem enthusiastic about using car seats for simpits!

4 Likes

And I was wondering what kind of an office chair was it :smiley:.

3 Likes

I wonder if this actually represents a meaningful difference between Pimax users and other simmers. Maybe we really spend the time to care about the seats.

4 Likes

That’s an amazing setup! []-)

4 Likes

That’s freaking awesome man… This is what I wanted battle chair to look like but never took the time to finish it!

2 Likes

I simple use a plank between the armrests and over my legs were i have now keyboard and mouse and then in ED joystick and throttle.

3 Likes

Here’s mine

Work in progress
the full armrest / HOTAS setup can be detached in less than a minute

6 Likes

Are there news about RotoVR compatibility with Pimax 8K X ?

3 Likes

If it works with any modern Pimax headset, like the 5k+, then it will work with the 8kX. The PiTool software stack and such works exactly the same.

4 Likes

Where are the in game videos. Thats what i want to see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well since the head tracker for the chair is just a puck that clips to the headset itself I think it will be compatible with any headset… as for the cable management that’s gonna be a different story since this was originally produced back in the gen 1 days so AFAIK the only connections on the cable housing for the chair are HDMI and USB 3.0… I heard they were looking at updating this to support more modern headsets but TBH I’m not worried about that since I have an overhead pulley system that should work fine until Roto gets it sorted out. I was in contact with them last week and I am slated to receive one in the studio for a review and some gameplay vids but IDK how long that will be before they ship it to me so stay tuned as I will of course post any content I make with it here! []-)

3 Likes