Space.. The Final Frontier.. These are the voyages of the Pimax 8KX!

Then Recommend a Captain style front seat out of a van/suv type deal. Good as these mount on flat surfaces without needing a lot of modding.

Ford Aerostars you should be able to find one with all those bells and whistles. If your fortunate might be able to find a whole van for cheap with scrapping the van covering the cost of the seat and might even made some money on the deal.

Especially if has decent aluminum rims. More if your into a bit of work removing aluminum drive shaft and Rad etc… Just need to check scrap value. Scrap Value vs a Autowreckers. As Autowreckers usually pay low dollar amount.

1 Like

Well even though the 8KX uses LCD screens it looks very nice in Elite with the old -2 brightness +1 contrast setting in Pitool. I don’t have an Index for comparison but I have used one and I can see that headset possibly having slightly better color representation but black levels are most likely worse since it has no ability to control the brightness and contrast… between Pitool and the in game gamma slider you can really get a nice looking image in Elite! []-)

3 Likes

Yep… And with Pitool’s ability to control the brightness and contrast you can get the 2 headsets to look very close on colors but IMHO the black levels are better in the 8KX once set to -2 brightness +1 contrast.

2 Likes

Well I am playing tonight… IDK if it will be a straight video or maybe I will truly go back to the beginning of my channel and just live stream it… either way this will be me ending an almost 2 year break from the game! [;]-)

3 Likes

Yeah I always had that issue in the Rift CV1… The clouds and rings around stars looked posterized… In the 8K X with the Pitool set to -2 brightness +1 contrast Space looks GREAT now! []-)

2 Likes

Man seeing your setup takes me back as it is similar to what “Battle Chair” started out as (Building a DIY Flight/Driving Sim Pit on a Budget – VRSpies) and who cares what it looks like when you actually feel like you are flying a star fighter! Add a cheap bass transducer to your chair and it will take things to a whole new level! I am actually going to be playing a lot more Elite soon in a special “Rotating Chair” (https://www.rotovr.com/) that should be shipping to the studio for a review soon and after 5 years Battle chair will finally be retired! Gonna be a bit sad to see it go but not gonna lie I can’t wait to play games with the 8KX in the RotoVR! []-)

2 Likes

Use Voice attack and you can map any of the controls to a voice command. I currently have over 2000 spoken responses and even custom music programmed in and it makes the game a Star Trek nerds wet dream! Here’s a sample of what is possible with Voice Attack and the HSC voice pack add ons: Driving my SCARAB with a Logitech Wheel and Talking to a Vulcan Computer in Elite Dangerous Horizons - YouTube

4 Likes

Haha… I’ve been on a break for over 2 years… Can’t wait to see all the changes I’ve missed! []-)

2 Likes

Yep… Mine started out looking like this: Project Battle Chair - Imgur (6) (1)

6 Likes

It is… It is a cabin seat from a Minivan that a friend gave me when I started the project… Here are the complete instructions if anyone is interested: Building a DIY Flight/Driving Sim Pit on a Budget – VRSpies

1 Like

Yep… Pretty sure mine was from a Dodge Caravan.

1 Like

Totally possible man… In fact I always wanted to upgrade mine to a motorized adjustable seat for better comfort!

1 Like

Yep…HOTAS + Voice Attack + HSC Voice Packs when flying in Elite = Total Game Changer! [;]-)

3 Likes

Thanks for posting all the info! I like the way you prototyped the chair very much. Rotation will indeed be a cool feature to hear about - I am considering adding a similar feature.

@vrgamerdude The one thing I would suggest is lowering the HOTAS on the vertical axis, while tilting the stick forward. I find this much more comfortable in the long term. Look at pictures of the way pilots sit in the real F-16 as another example.

1 Like

this content has been done a million times before.

please get pimax working in VRChat with full body tracking, i.e. at least 3 tracking pucks, then it might be interesting for people who aren’t flight sim simps.

@Davobkk also has a nice chair setup for gaming.

1 Like

Haha… Man I tried to go into VRchat for the first time in a few years the other night and I hate to say but I am way too old and mature for that place these days! I really miss it before all the Meme spammers and kids took it over so no… I will most likely not be doing any videos in VRchat sorry! []-(

1 Like

how old are you anyway?

i’m 45 and it’s great fun.

more seriously, fan service degrades everyone involved, try and break out of your bubble

I can understand your desire for VRchat. However the op’s discussion is about a space/flight sim experience and setup.

I backed both WalkOVR and Katloco both have mocap availability. Though for a more full Mocap you would want WalkOVR vs Katloco as Walk is extensible with additional nodes.

But let’s try to keep our topics more on track and yes I do need reminding often times as well. :beers::smirk::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

4 Likes

VRChat was an example, the much more important point is that Pimax can not connect to more than 2 tracking pucks which is a major deficiency that is holding it back.

1 Like