Some controller Compatibility issues with Index controller (Some Info)

I don’t think it is the usb bandwidth. But maybe more wireless bandwidth judging by some posts.

You need to plug them into the headset or have them very close to the controllers. There doesn’t seem to be any problem with usb bandwidth so you can go through the pimax usb. @EmanueleCiriachi
I tried plugging them into my pc but even blocking line of sight with my body stopped the connection.

This is how I did It on mine, used a small screw in the screw holes underneath to attach a zip tie. You only need one dongle as the wireless radio in the headset is fine for one controller. The dongle I used is an Anker usb c to a

5 Likes

well that clarifies the USB bandwidth not being an issue :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks @Bradliam1
@Alex.liu pleas have a look at Brad’s results

1 Like

Very nice. Now if only they still made these :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Could someone please help me catch up and make sure I understand this correctly? An external SteamVR USB/Bluetooth dongle is required for both Index Controllers to connect through the Pimax 5k+, or to be stable with it?

If this is indeed the case, could this affect the newer Pimax Vision 8kX?

I have only used the Index Controllers extensively with two Lighthouse 1.0 units so far, both mounted at opposite ceiling corners. I have had no problems with that setup.

1 Like

It’s really difficult to say. Save Alex.liu has beeb looking into this issue and has contacted Valve. Some headsets from same batch have it and some don’t.

I know myself there are different revisions of the Watchman Dongle in the headsets. Much like there are different versions of the steamcontroller dongle.

Some are having tracking issues seemingly related to the wireless connection to the controllers. Wired works fine and it seems others using seperare dongles are having some success.

Thanks. Wired how? The USB-C connectors on the controllers can be used for tracking?

1 Like

Your welcome. From my understanding some have used the usb-c on the headset to controller or direct to pc.

It works fine for me on my 5K+ too using two v1 lighthouses in opposite corners (as suggested by HTC).

Not sure it’s the actual headset and if it is it might be early Vs later SteamVR tracking components?

2 Likes

Kevin weighed in:

There have been tons of threads on the Index HMD reddit with identical issues. I don’t think the issue is inherent to any particular headset and only seems to appear in limited circumstances.

I’ve quizzed a lot of people asking if it happens to them and tested for it myself - could not replicate the issue. Vrgamerdude, Mirage, Sweviver and mrtv also could not replicate the issue.

That DOES NOT MEAN it does not exist so I did mention the issue to Valve technical staff who I often talk to. Hopefully we can figure out why this can sometimes happen.

Problem is, many including myself have no problems with the same controllers on an Index HMD. I would like to see where people are experiencing this on Index HMDs…

1 Like

Well on the plus a pimax Tech has reproduced the issue. Which is what is needed as they are the ones that are in place to fix it eventually. However it is good to see Kevin has gotten himself updated as earlier he said their internal Tech talk suggested to him this was new and mostly unheard of. For some reason it seems the Tech team hadn’t made the issue known to other departments.

And it was @Alex.liu that was already discussing it with Valve already prior to Kevin being aware of this tracking issues.

Hey Guys!

I asked @Alex.liu for an update since I’m the one who opened the ticket. Still no answer, but I’m sure comms between Pimax and Valve to find a solution might not be optimal considering the pandemic.

We’ll have to be patient on this one I guess.

I’ll keep you updated if I hear anything.

Be brave!

1 Like

The fact is a couple of days after the issue went through the channels Valve contacted me directly. (Over the course of a typical week they contact me 2 or 3 times for various things.) They wanted their US lab to test for this issue and another far more pressing issue but due to coronavirus all are working from home didn’t have headset samples to test with. I arranged for the samples and facilitated the feedback between groups.

For those reading Alex is indeed a good source as are some other people in the loop, keep in mind though that some of the updates are totally SteamVR oriented. Helio doesn’t have access to any of the standard flow of company information and in this case he has only a tiny slice of information.

Bottom line is there are a cadre of people testing for this and other issues that require collaboration. The big issue for the samples was actually solved and resulted in more Pimax compatibility with SteamVR updates.

11 Likes

I hope they can solve this serious problem, it is very frustrating to play Onward and constantly have ungrab and have to re-grab. Also frustrating on Alyx having little “move stops” and erratic feedback pulses… or directly on beat saber will be impossible to be competitive with that random rate of micro cuts tracking loses.

He tried dozens of tests thinking for some time that they were the bases, that they were the index controllers, that they were the reflections or something else, usbs, etc., absolutely nothing solves the problem, simply as we as many of us concluded it is a problem of radio on bluetooth with 2 connected index controllers.

My only solution is to connect a usb-c cable to the hmd to a controller, and the tracking works perfect then, as we have said it seems to only be able to work with a single controller via bluetooth to the hmd without loss.

5k+ 203 x2 LH v1

Big priority to fix this.

5 Likes

Those of you who presented some sort of SteamVR logs as proof of the problem: where are those logs located?

1 Like

Steam directory/Logs/vrmonitor.txt

I’m at work but I’m pretty sure that’s right.

2 Likes

True but you demonstrated you didn’t have access to this issue by your own check and post earlier. Sighting that there is no reports in your internal channels.

Alex has responded with a fair bit of info on the issue.

1 Like

@PimaxUSA Can you tell us the best way to get updates on this issue? I don’t want to bother Alex every week, but there’s not a lot of informations out there.

Not sure you are aware, but please note there’s another thread listing cases about this issue. I’m sure we will be willing to send any kind of report and test solutions if needed :slight_smile:

Thank you!

https://community.openmr.ai/t/tracking-issues-april-2020/26759

2 Likes

When the problem is happening, does it get fixed by turning the right controller off? I haven’t tried that test myself yet, but that would be interesting.

Thank you. I ordered the very same adapter and will definitely test this!

1 Like