SOLVED - Infinite Loop eating up all RAM

Yesterday I did test Pimax Exp for the first time.
I have a library of about 500 SteamVR, Oculus and Viveport apps installed.
As Pimax Exp was not responding for some time doing thumbnail fetching I opened up the task manager to see if it still running and yes it did use CPU and was allocating RAM. After about a minute Pimax EX was responding again and I started testing the UI. However I left the task manager open and did see that it was constantly allocating additional RAM and keept doing so until I closed Pimax Exp.

Test System:
Pinmax 5k XR and Pimax 5k+
i7 5903K @ 4 GHz watercooled
32 GB RAM
2080 Ti overclocked

3 Likes

Hi Alex, glad to see you here! :slight_smile:
Yep as I mentioned in another post, its due to the thumbnail pre-loading inside the “Profiles” section which i put on Awake() when app starts. I will (for now) remove the thumbnail from that section (its mostly esthetical anyway and have no real use of thumbs while browsing Profiles). A new version will be uploaded later today and this should solve the issue.
To be honest I only have tested this with maximum 60+ VR games installed automatically and it took 2-3 seconds or so, so I imagine 500 games may be too much for pre-loading.

Another user here said it took a minute to load 600+ games :slight_smile:

Also in the games gallery sections, I will somehow limit the pre-load and make it more useful for hundreds of games in the library :slight_smile:

Ill be back later today with a new build!

3 Likes

Try the new Beta 0.19 and let me know if it helps, @MR-Alex

1 Like

@SweViver It helps with the lag at startup but not with the inifinite allocating of additional RAM at a rate of about 1 GB in 20 seconds.

1 Like

Im currently looking into this, thanks for the notice. I haven’t even considered that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please check the new version 0.20 and let me know how much it helped. Been sitting all day to solve this. It definitely eats less RAM now. on my desktop it never goes beyond 550Mb now, no matter how much I click.

2 Likes

version 0.20 eats up approx 100MB pr. second on my system, keeps going untill it reaches 22.5GB my physical mem size is 32GB (have disabled pagefile in Win10) that’s approx 3.66 minutes for each testing session :crazy_face: at that point everything crashes, including Chrome browser.

2 Likes

spending the night deploying new systems at work so I won’t be able to test if it’s still an issue for me.

1 Like

Similar results as MrAhlefeld. I would recommend to start with an empty Unity project, import the Pimax SDK and see if this runs fine.

1 Like

I think we need to start by posting some logs. I wonder if something weird is looping :confused:

I have 3 systems at home and I can’t reproduce this issue, it drives me mad.

Before v.20 the app swallowed 10-20mb new RAM every time I changed game category, it started at 300Mb and went up to 600Mb after clicking around for 10 minutes or so. With this version it hardly goes up in RAM, but still peaking at 400 ive seen.

I wonder, there must be some error happening when the memory grows for you, because on my side unless I change category, apply something or save, the app is idle for me not moving more memory than before.

Please post some logs if you can guys :slight_smile: thanks

By the way: Are you all running the PVRHome automatically in background with PiTool, or do you start it manually running the .exe? Its very important its running in background and replacing the old PVRHome.

1 Like

Im really trying to understand whats wrong. On my slowest system (GTX1070 laptop with 60+ SteamVR games, 15 Oculus games and 9 Viveport games) it shows:

Got this from Pimax engineers a moment ago:

I have noted though, that during initialization (the first 2 seconds) the RAM rapidly rises from 150 up to 400Mb, but once its initialized, the RAM usage goes down to 200-250 again. Sometimes 280 at max, at least without doing anything after startup.

Im under the conclusion that the initialization simply is not finished on your system if you get Gigabytes of RAM used. It has to be some error occuring during initialization, and it tries endlessly to initialize.
I think some logs would really help.
Just post the
Player.log
Located in C:\Users\user\AppData\LocalLow\Pimax\PVRHome

1 Like

OK, I have found the issue now!

It seems when connection between PiTool and VR Exp is not established , it goes into endless loop and memory grows by 50-100MB a second.

Im trying to find out why the connection is not established…

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. This is tracking-related!!!

Im investigating this, gimme a few hours or so!

2 Likes

Will post log tonightđź‘Ť

1 Like

YES! Now I finally know what it is :slight_smile: @MrAhlefeld @MR-Alex @BNP
Its the damn Galaxy Environment that somehow screws up and shaders and eats memory to infinity on some computers.

Try it yourself: Turning off Environment “Pimax Galaxy” and changing to “None” removes the memory leak problem completely!

I will remove the galaxy from next build and try to add some new free environments later on!

5 Likes

awesome, because let’s be honest, having it feast on all my ram and make the computer unusable is a bit a deal breaker :wink:

1 Like

OK. Will try that later.

1 Like

Yeah definitely it would be a dealbreaker! Its just that I didn’t notice this on my 1070 laptop and 2080Ti desktop. But suddenly the memory leak appears on my 2080 laptop, after reinstalling PiTool.

Its very very strange that it only occurs sometimes.
Anyway I will skip this Galaxy environment completely. Time to find some alternative. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Gotta be free environments without a licence, and preferably small in size (max 150-200Mb or so).

Also:

I managed to fix another issue with the Pimax Unity SDK asking for a missing Lib(something)PVR 32 dll file (which is not related to the above problem). I imported that dll into the project manually and it works without an error message in the log.

I really need some people with a 32bit Windows to test if 8t removes the error from the log on 32bit systems as well.

Thanks Alex. Will upload a new build 0.22 in a few hours. Will fix a few things first…

2 Likes

So few people that run 32 bit systems anymore and i’m not sure VR is awesome on virtual machines, even with a hardware pass through for the gpu.

1 Like

Thats actually good news haha…

1 Like

Will try that fix later and confirm :+1:

1 Like