So where is our DMAS? (Now Shipping)

same here order jan 2020

1 Like

I got my dmas and vrears last week and have been comparing, interested to see your feedback too. I’ve moved on from fiddling with dmas in hmd to seeing what they are like bypassing the HMD for their connection… more trial and error needed.

5 Likes

Yes I was going to do that next, just to see if it eliminates the faint high pitch whine on the right ear. I tried the trick about unplugging the headset to reset the DSP and it helped a bit but didn’t completely eliminate the noise.

I suspect that if I plug the VR Ears into the Pimax the noise might be there as well. I think there’s some interference on the HMD audio jacks itself.

1 Like

Weird my poles aren’t floppy at all. I cant move them in any direction but up and down like they are supposed to.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. (no pun intended)

3 Likes

The two sample sets I have are *too tight and very difficult to move up and down and don’t have any slack space rotation at all. At first I thought they were designed not to move.

3 Likes

So what you are saying is that the manufacturing tolerances vary wildly? :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I had the squeal 2 or 3 times… fiddled with the connection and it disappeared. Twisting/pushing/pull and push a bit, at various stages, I also power cycled the hmd a few times, not knowing if helpful.

I basically compared with vrears and index. Had all 3 connected and just switched between them whilst playing various youtube content… music/racing/games. I felt happy with the dmas initially until I heard the other two. The index was by far the best, vrears was just as loud and reasonable bass but unfortunately with ‘a lot’ more sound leak. DMAS was quieter (checked on my phone about 5db as a poor mans test) and lacked bass by a long way. I did try equalizerAPO for a while…messing with settings following guides… But wasnt happy with the drop in volume. The best I got out of it was just using the windows bass boost and loudness equalisation.

I then bought a cable and using the splitter I got with the kdmas I connected them to my corsair ST100 (just convenience that the port was right there), Certainly a good bit louder although I lacked the bass boost option and icue equaliser settings made no difference, so will keep messing. Overall so far I feel the pimax 8kx is not able to do the dmas justice and a better amp is needed… however, all of this is in nitpicky territory as I still felt that the DMAS was pretty good and is certainly the best out of all 3 for sound leak, but for the rest it’s not on par with index.

5 Likes

Well what do we have here ? :hugs:

2 Likes

Congrats mine is supposedly arriving on the 15.

1 Like

I have a usb powered Amp. I suspected the 8kX might not have sufficient amperage as we have observed other possible power amperage supply issues on sone systems. Why really with the Optic cable should not have discontinued the optional extra Usb power cable. The Y cable from Amazon type deal as you could use a high amperage usb wall adapter.

Could plugging it in to a USB cable with a power adapter on it help?

1 Like

Very interesting, I haven’t tried mine yet, but will soon. (VR Ears) So after all the wait would you say the VR ears were worth it or should I just leave it sealed and hit up Kijiji?

I actually don’t mind the DMAS as it makes the 8KX complete, and sounds pretty great compred to the SMAS. Even if the VR Ears sounded better they are pretty high on the Janky Level.

I’m even skeptical if I want to try to attach them to my Quest 2

1 Like

Possibly the v2 used a dedicated Usb port and a wall usb plug. This can help ensure no dips in power. Though if not a good quality usb wall plug you might get power noise in audio as well… Hard to say without trying it.

1 Like

I was thinking something like this

Cable Matters Active USB Extension Cable Male to Female (USB 3.0 Extension Cable) Gender Changer with Signal Booster for Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive, Valve Index, Webcam and More - 5 Meters, 16.4 Feet : Amazon.ca: Electronics

but shorter like 2 meters

1 Like

Hello
I am so sorry for that
What‘s your Ticket or order number?Please kindly provide me in PM,so that I can speak with the head of support and try to check this for you.

Sincerely.

2 Likes

Thanks for the support,
I got a tracking number 1 day ago.
Finally it’s coming

1 Like

that’s very nice!! looking forward to you feeback

1 Like

The VR Ears were very good. I’m not an audiophile but can still make my own observations so will stick with my own terminology. I will say they are loud and good punch to them. Close to on par with index give or take. Happy with how they sound and happy they also work with usb connection (own DSP). Using my phone to measure db it matched the index, however my main disappointment was they are a lot louder in the room too. My aim was to possibly use them as a headset for non-vr games and comms, when I just want off ear freedom/comfort (waiting on headstrap/mic later this year supposedly). But now have reservations. Sound leak possibly being too much for my intended use, as I say something the DMAS won out of the three.

To be fair I had all three cranked up to max so more trial and error needed, maybe I’ll find at lower volume a good balance.

4 Likes

Thanks for the comparison review. Sounds like the DMAS falls short of the Index which is what I was hoping it could match or at least come close to. I’m currently using a Vive DAS with my 8KX but really wanted to get back to the Index type sound because I missed having the off ear solution. I didn’t expect it to have the bass that I currently get with my DAS, as the Index didn’t have that either but it sounds like the bass of DMAS is really lacking. Guess I’ll just stick with the DAS for now.

2 Likes