So my 8k plus arrived today in 3 days from aliexpress,here are my impressions

This was talked about a lot when the 5k+ was released a lot of us had problems dialing in the optics. With no in/out adjustment it was hard and a pain to do( also the lack of additional face foams in the box was a brain dead move). I was surprised when they announced these new HMD’s with this flaw. Does not seem like they learned much

4 Likes

Did you check the seating of the comfort kit before you sold it? I’m thinking about what’s described in this thread: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8k-recent-comfort-kit-adjustments-recent-request-potentially-solved/26337

2 Likes

No i didnt,but there where more things what i didnt like.

Like the colors and contrast vs my index and the light haze(dirty lenses look) when you look in a white sky(i also had this on the pimax 5kplus)…This also didnt have the valve index

1 Like

Got my 8k plus and one thing I can say is that the severe eye strain I had in my 8k headset does not happen in my 8k plus :slight_smile:

Eye strain: no

Image quality: very clear (able to read text from far and barely able to see pixel

Distortion: this is interesting, there’s still distortions but not as much as the previous headset (8k) BUT something I realized is that if you press the headset into your face it disappears.

Problem: I have one problem that my 8k plus has that the 8k didn’t. In the middle of my screen (so the focus area) I’m having a tiny defect like cursor size defect maybe slightly bigger, so something exactly like this:
received_2308202602810547

(testing done in bigscreen. Tried the headset once since I have no controllers and base stations) I’ll test the headset again tonight to see if the defect was a one time thing.

4 Likes

Thats why we need a Comfort kit with less height,so we can come closer to the sreens.

Some people(like me and others) need that.
Otherwise you get a bad distortion on the outer left and outer right on your lenses.

2 Likes

Could be that we need a distortion adjustment - I guess depending on the angel and point of view and the delta to the manufactured norm for the profile it will always be off for large FOV Hmds and a subset of users - since it would need to account for that dynamically per person and situation . Maybe with the eye tracking this could be automates but just guess working here

1 Like

Thats true,but you stil have the same problem like me and some others because we cant come close enough too the lenses ans you will see the irritating curves on the outer left and right.

If you move your pimax away further from your eyes you see what some other people and me see.Its unplayable then!

1 Like

It works for me - almost no distortion - that’s why I think it’s the position for one and also things currently not accounted for - the effect of the biological positions of the eyes and face shape - so to some point adjustable per person distortion profiles are the only think in addition to a very good adjustable head strap and HMD position through that, that could reduce the distortion further, IMHO.
As mentioned before I also have distortions on my Monitor (wide) in some games since they start warping the image at the edges causing a kind of magnifying effect. So also the games need to consider that, I guess.

3 Likes

Even first generation Vives had a dial to move the headset closer or further away from your face. Pimax has really miscalculated not including one.

5 Likes

Sooo I went back to testing the 8k plus again and the defect is basically a bigscreen problem and not the headset. Every other games I tried didn’t have the defect only bigscreen. For distortions I said if you press the headset to you face it disappears… I tried again tonight and saw that it was still there when you press the headset to your face but it’s a slight distortion which means that if you reduce the field of view it should somewhat be gone.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.