Shiftall Meganex will now cost 1699

I was really excited for this headset when it was originally 900 bucks, at 1200 I was still excited but now at 1699 without controllers (albeit with LH tracking, which is great for many but a deal breaker for me personally as someone that wants to get rid of LH tracking in my home) then it has lost any appeal to me.

I could still see this being a good headset for some. Also seems like it still has an XR1 inside, I wonder if they will enable any sort of standalone functionality or phone streaming? Basically just thinking of watching movies or such, would be a good value add.

I’m a bit skeptical of the comfort now also, with it being near 400g (quest 2 is 503g for reference). Seems like quite a heavy device when you consider the form factor, I’m not convinced it will be comfortable (although the weight being so much closer to the face, thanks to the pancake lenses, will help a lot so maybe it will be). They also removed the diopter adjustment which was another of the big selling points imo. I’ll wait for reviews though, perhaps this will still be worth getting or maybe waiting for a sale. I’m sure visually it will be really good, having uOLED and no one has complained about the brightness yet.

Anyone that was considering this headset before, how are you feeling now?

i am out :frowning:

1 Like

It’s interesting that there seems to be a growing number of VR headsets appearing in the $1500-2000 range. The Aero, Crystal, Quest Pro, and now MeganeX.

Things I notice about the MeganeX (besides what OP mentions). It has no audio output solution. Though unlike the Aero, it does at least have a microphone.

It comes with a 3 meter USB-C cable. What an odd length. It’s not long enough to use as a PC tether. And it’s too long to just use as a charger or on your person. Are they assuming seated VR only maybe?

I’m not personally interested in the VR headsets in this category since they all have narrow FOV. But the MeganeX should properly be compared against the other headsets in its category, and it seems potentially favorable in that light. Its differentiator in the category seems to be form factor and lightness. (Though as OP suggests, I wonder if it’s actually less comfortable anyway)

1 Like

No word on FoV. I remember that in the past they said it would be small (< 100). But it seems they let this info on purpose out, so I indeed expect it to be very low

2 Likes

That wouldn’t make sense when they are so VRChat focused. The 3m cable really is a headscratcher, especially at that price point.

MRTV tried the most recent model about 2 months ago and said the FOV was bigger than Quest 2 by a bit. So I’m guessing inbetween Pico 4 and Quest 2. Slight improvement but nothing amazing.

1 Like

What a disappointment with that price damn.

Maybe they will throw in a free MuTalk to sweeten the deal:

Mutalk: muzzle, uh, microphone to be 'free' to shout in VR

Indeed. Shiftall reminds me of good old memory of some LOL champions:
Corki:

Heimerdinger:

Great Steam Punk Vine as well:

At that price point it have no sense for me.

At 900 or even 1200 it was interesting, but 1700 and without controllers… pass.

2 Likes

Hi,
I also feel that the Megane X is now overpriced. Had great hopes, but this new price is too much. Sad. :disappointed:

1 Like

Damn, this is what I feared. Meta releasing the Quest Pro was really an Nvidia style move to see w he at dumb VR junkies would be willing to spend. (No offense)

Now these prices may become the norm.

For the first time ever HTC actually looks like they are priced competitively , and their prices haven’t changed!

These companies are trying to push these headsets as computing devices, with the same level of with as a high end laptop.

Which is easy to rationalize if you twist your logic appropriately.

I wish I could say , I’m no longer interested but, having seen the Marvel that is micro OLED with my own eyes :eyes: I remain interested.

I’m sure before Crystal is released we’ll hear of Pimax Crystal OLED edition , maybe even by tomorrow. Would you be surprised?

1 Like

I would be tbh, just because I haven’t heard of any OLED panels that could work as a drop in replacement for the Crystal displays, plus it would undermine a lot of their confidence in the microLED technology and the benefits over OLED that they were touting. I’d actually be really shocked.

2 Likes

Agreed. The thing that made this concept interesting was that it would weight practically nothing. Now that after 3 years they couldn’t deliver on that AND with this price increase, I don’t think this headset will become a success at all. Basically the only thing it has going for it are the OLED panels.

Quite true, the OLED panels are just it. Funnily enough, I don’t see people complaining about “5.2k” marketing, I guess it has become standard practice.

Perhaps it will be quite comfortable, thanks to the pancake lenses, but I’m skeptical. Also the LH tracker looks prone to occlusion. Hopefully it’s a good headset though and maybe if it has a decent sale price down the line then it will be worth getting but for now my interest in it as a potential customer is gone. Will still enjoy watching reviews etc but can’t imagine I will buy it.

3 meters is just the max length cable the USB standard supports without requiring some sort of active repeater. So that’s probably where the particular length comes from. Which really just suggests that they didn’t put any thought or effort into the cable.

So creepy looking! Like a captured human forced to work for the aliens in an old 80’s sci fi film.

But what about if you compare it to the Varjo Aero? Close to the same resolution and FOV. Lighter and smaller than the Aero and $300 cheaper.

Is the reaction to it that the price is too much or that people were expecting this device to have a much lower price and were surprised? The reaction to the price seems worse than it was for the Varjo Aero which is why I ask.

Maybe the issue is that we weren’t previously thinking of the MeganeX as high end VR gear.

I use VR constantly. It has become very important to my social life because I’ve made a lot of friends through VRChat. The cost of even high end VR gear is beans compared to other expenses for me, and it’s easily some of the highest bang per buck of stuff I spend money on. In my situation, I’m not very price sensitive at all. I just want the best VR gear available.

Other people aren’t necessarily the same as you. Spending that much money on a VR headset may be a dumb decision for your particular personal circumstances, but that doesn’t mean it’s dumb for everyone else in the world, too.

It may actually be good for the VR industry in general if that happens. The Quest 2 caused people to think that VR gear should be cheap like game consoles. And that has done enormous damage to the VR industry turning it into a race to the bottom before the technology was anywhere near perfected. The result has been near total stagnation in VR hardware for the last 3 years. This is exactly why the aging Valve Index has still not been toppled from being king.

The VR industry desperately needs a functioning high end consumer market. And the $1500-2000 range is probably a good price point for that. That will allow for innovation which can then be refined to later appear in $400 VR gear.

Right now anything truly new in VR technology has to go directly to competing with that $400 price point. And we’ve seen the effects of that already. It simply doesn’t happen. There hasn’t been a realistic route to market for it. So instead, we’ve only been seeing refinement of VR technology that already existed on the market before the Quest 2 was released. Nothing new and risky has been able to get any traction. So VR technology has stagnated.

With the exception of smaller companies like Pimax still trying to forge forward despite the bad market conditions. The specifications of the 12K should not have seemed out of this world when it was first announced. That’s where VR technology should have been by now across the industry in general, not just Pimax. And I believe that’s where the VR industry as a whole would have been if not for Facebook buying out the leaders of the VR industry and then running it all into the ground with Zuckerberg’s mismanagement.

The formation of an effective market at the $1500-2000 price point could be the start of recovery from that. Allowing other companies to enter the space and innovate new VR technology. The customer base for VR gear at that price point is much smaller than the customer base for $400 VR gear, but it exists and is hungry.

4 Likes

I’m guessing the main issue is that they originally touted it at 900usd.

I think that’s true to some extent but the main reason was probably the pandemic tbh. Seems like everything we’re seeing now was meant to come out 1 or more years ago.

2 Likes

you make good points and I agree, I just don’t wan’t all headsets to cost $2000

Index should be the highest it goes .

2 Likes

They only complain if Pimax is doing it.

2 Likes

OLED has huge screen door effect problem. Meta even developed a “fast-shaking” technology to compensate for it. ( When an OLED panel is shaking slightly at a very fast speed, it will be hard for eyes to see the gaps between pixels. )
There is a reason most VR headsets are still using LCDs. It was not due to the price.
So no, Meganex shouldn’t use OLED panels at all. They shouldn’t announce the price at $1699 at all. If they really release this headset to the public, it will be a rude awakening for them.

This isn’t quite true.

So, the problem that most OLED HMDs had is that they had a pentile sub-pixel arrangement vs LCDs. This essentially meant that they had 2 sub-pixels per pixel rather than 3. You’re effectively cutting your overall sharpness by a whole third even at the same resolution. The Vive Pro and Index have the same res, but a hugely different SDE in part because of this.

However, it is possible to do OLED with a three sub-pixel arrangement, PSVR1 had it.

1 Like