Shiftall Meganex will now cost 1699

That’s only pentile OLED which, afaik, no microOLED screens are. Pentile OLED is a hangover from the days of using phone screens as VR displays. PSVR1, PSVR2 are examples of non-pentile OLED panels (so no difference in SDE to an LCD panel of the same resolution).

They never said that was the purpose of that tech (T-REX I think it was called). The entire idea of it was to fake a much higher resolution, nothing to do with OLED specifically or trying to mask pentile sub-pixel arrangements. Obviously would make far more sense to just not use pentile if that was the goal.

Well, you’re in luck because they don’t use OLED. They use uOLED (microOLED) which is a different display type entirely.

1 Like

For me, Oled’s greatest weakness was that very dark scenes quickly faded into complete black.
But I have no idea how current panels deal with it.

Arrrhhh… Learned interesting facts about OLED here. Forgive my very limited knowledge about it.
Glad to know it’s quite possible to do so. Let’s see the coming reviews about Shiftall.
At the meantime, I will wear the “mutalk” and shut up about it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Pretty shocked, seems like the meganex is getting worse rather than better while going up in price. :confused:

I really like the controller idea though!

1 Like

Could just be a demo problem though.

this isnt Accurate.

oled does not have SDE, The pixel arrangement can introduce it.(Pentile)

Remember , the original 8K?

Somehow Pimax sourced the worlds first LCD panel with Pentile Pixel Arrangement.

On the otherhand Sony uses OLED and it uses RGB Stripe just like LCD and has the same SDE characteristics.

IMO, i never had any issue with the OG Rift or Samsung Odyssey SDE.

Odyssey+ tried to do that interpolation thing to combat SDE, but all it did was ake the sharpness too soft and people complained.

I dont even think Pentile would be that bad today considering todays panels are 2160 , 2500 and up.

I imagine the Crystals staggering 45 ppd Pentile SDE would have far less of an impact on image quality than disgusting LCD grays.

Im so over LCD grays VR has declined in image quality so much since switching to LCD , Micro OLED is the future, and if Quest 3 doesnt have it I’ll pass.

Edit: just found this

1 Like

I do think , we got Japanese people also on the forums, they could possible know something, about, this one.

Seems dead at the price, form factor and release date. Why go for this over the Bigscreen beyond?

Bigsceen beyond is a lemon :lemon: To many downsides like low brightness and small FOV. Index 2 will be out before this even becomes available in quantity. It’s really no better than Apara

I agree there but meganex doesn’t seem any better. Anyone that has tried both it and the Bigscreen beyond have unilaterally preferred the latter. Tbf they haven’t had as much time with the meganex but it seems like it’s a worst headset today than 2 years ago at almost 2x the price. Plus the comfort seems awful.

I don’t think any uOLED vr headset is there yet, another couple of years I suppose.

Exactly. That’s why they shifted focus to drinking game controllers :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.