SDE comparison (Macro) - Guess the VR headsets!

Still not a single good one,we need RGB OLED…:blush:

1 Like

85 inch TV 8k macro photo

8 Likes

Will we see Samsung 4K OLED before 8K-X ships to consumer’s? Place your bets here :smile:

3 Likes

Yes, latest firmware and did the settings in SteamVR Dashboard. Couldnt see any difference though. Not sure whats wrong or if its supposed to look like that. Its not always visible though. Depends on what u look at (color combination).

The vertical look of subpixels seems to be because the subpixels are indeed aligned vertically on both Index and HP Reverb. On 8KX/8K+ the subpixels are horisontal.

A fast example of Index/HP subpixel alignment:
subpixels

And 8KX/8K+ subpixel alignment:
20191009_101424

2 Likes

Heh looks like a metallic grid?

OK, here are the answers:

IMAGE1:
Left: 8KX
Right: HP Reverb
Note the different subpixel alignment for each. 8KX has horiontal subpixel lines, whilst Reverb has vertical

IMAGE2:
Left: 8KX
Right: HP Reverb

IMAGE3:
Top Left: 8KX
Top Right: HP Reverb
Bottom Left: Valve Index
Bottom Right: 5K+

IMAGE4:
Top Left: 8KX
Top Middle: HP Reverb
Top Right: 8K+
Bottom Left: Valve Index
Botom Middle: 5K+
Bottom Right: Original 8K

IMAGE 5:
Left: HP Reverb
Right: 8KX
This is a tricky one, but as you see, the SDE clearly shows both are 4K. The difference is the poor rendering of HP Reverb (using highest 3840x2160 rendering in Windows MIxed Reality Portal, and SteamVR SS 150%). Also, the contrast levels of the HP Reverb is terrible (probably way too high), which can easily be seen in any bright scene. Black pixels are killed by white surrounding areas. There is NO WAY I can take a proper photo of HP Reverb in RealOVirtual text chart having good looking text. The only way to get a more proper text with HP is to decreasing the exposure with lets say 2 levels in the camera, which makes the whites not being white anymore. I dont know if this is because of the panels, or just the fact that HP Reverb doesnt have any proper contrast/brightness adjustment.
In the case of 8KX, the PiTool Brightness/Contrast was on 0 on both, so default values.

Here is how HP looks slightly better than before, but thats just by having exposure waay down on the camera, which is not a proper way of taking TTL photos, I guess?:

IMAGE 6:
Left: Original 8K
Right: 8K+

13 Likes

Image 6 really surprised me.

Regarding the text, stepping down the camera exposure with 1 step on HP, I get this comparison
(Note, this photo is NOT Macro. This is taken with 12mm lens (same as 24mm full frame):

FULL PHOTO

Zooming in the image

Zooming in the image more

6 Likes

I kinda start hating my 8K now… The difference is too big.

Oh and @SweViver, could you do some of us a favor and try some shots through the lens of the Pimax 4K please? Just for us old school fanboys. :call_me_hand:

7 Likes

I got them all right!!! That means i win a free 8KX!!! Sweet!!! :money_mouth_face::star_struck:

5 Likes

Martin, when will you be able to give us some indication of the difference in fps between the 8K+ and 8KX all other things being equal?

2 Likes

I have the Pimax 4K BE with me. It’s going to be in a Musuem one day lol.

1 Like

Will do, but I dont expect much difference at all. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Unfortunately the Florida office sent back the few 4K headsets (returns or something) they had to Chinese office, so I never got a chance to do TTL on 4K :frowning: I will soon travel to Pimax in China, so I will make sure to get some old 4K unit for science.

3 Likes

Pull out the OG Vive.

1 Like

As MRTV says, coming up!

6 Likes

I don’t know why I’m getting so excited. The shipping is like over 2 months away. Honestly I hope ‘The Outer Worlds’ is a good game and I’ll play some RDR2 on PC to distract me from counting the days.

HYPE TRAIN!

2 Likes

I know right. Damn product just sounds soo delicious

2 Likes

VR Days is only 1 month away :slight_smile:
Also we might have a showcase in Berlin after VR Days in November, more info on this one soon…

5 Likes

Doing it the HP way! :sunglasses: