Samsung Odyssey+ Discussion. Review - Through the lens comparison

Yep, and I think the answer is that the subject we are viewing is rendered close to the viewer. Have you noticed subjects up very close look GREAT in most all HMD’s but the further the subject get in the distance the less defined they become with the lesser resolution HMD

1 Like

I do agree the 5k+ looks sharper. It also almost does look like it holds more information (look at the nose). I’d also like to see more pics, distance pics indeed

1 Like

In his videos, Sebastian says he prefers the 5K+ every time in just about every experience except videos

6 Likes

And what’s your conclusion now after some more time with both HMD’s, @evertec, in games like Skyrim, which HMD do your prefer?

I haven’t tried Skyrim yet on the Odyssey+ actually. Overall though, as long as I can fix the comfort on the Odyssey+ (I have some foam nose pads on order) I’m liking the Odyssey+ better still. I also am going to upgrade my RAM speed and see if that helps with some of the pimax framerate issues I was having (I only have 1600mhz ddr3 right now). But seeing Sweviver’s tests with a 2080ti and his top notch cpu and ram, I’m not so sure I’ll get it to where I want it at unless they get some better reprojection. Also, the OLED really helps with the dark games as I’ve said before. I’m playing through Arktika.1 right now and it’s so hazy in the dark scenes with the Pimax that I’m a lot more immersed with the Odyssey.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ve found 1 game so far that I actually like more on the Vive Pro than on the Pimax 5k+: Titan Slayer II. The colors on the Pimax 5k+ are really just too dull in this game, which kind of loses all its attraction, the whole game just is ‘dull’ on the 5k+. And the SDE pattern is somehow more visible in the sky (in this particular game) on the 5k+ than on the Vive pro. However this is really the only game I enjoy more on the Vive Pro, so far. For the others I’ve tested I prefer the 5k+.

Really interested to try the odyssey+ now after Sesbastian’s review and your words.

5 Likes

Sorry for the delay. We have contacted the third-party logistics company and they said that your package is being cleared. To avoid putting you on too high a tariff, our logistics company will help you to clear the package and ship your package asap.Please wait for two more days and you will receive the new one asap. Thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes

Not needed, any card will do, which is basically the whole point of a Credit card. Paypal Account needed to be registered in the US though and therefore limited.

It rejected mine with the error that the card wasn’t registered in the usa

1 Like

Strange…My O+ was shipped from Samsung yesterday already. Unfortunately thanksgiving will delay my freight forwarder a bit. But I am confident that I’ll have the O+ soon. Mastercard worked fine, sometimes cards have restrictions though depending on the company branding. Saying Mastercard ain’t Mastercard (not talking bout “color issues”…, I have a Standard one)

2 Likes

It’s possible that you simply need to tell the credit card company to allow purchases in a particular country. My credit cards are limited to the US, unless we tell the companies that we plan to travel to another country.

1 Like

Right so I just bought 3 units separately with an international credit card. The billing address needs to be in the US. At that price I can sell two locally and make up for the third one lol

1 Like

that’s not technicaly possible with the lenses they have, read some doc-ok articles

1 Like

What he said. You get a better FOV by using thinner foam on the VIVE. I use the 6mm one and I still can’t see the border of the display. I think our eyeballs would touch the lens before we see that.

The Vives display utilisation (with stock foam) is pretty damn poor.

3 Likes

Not really. Imagine the panel of the size 10x10 pixels (just for an easier imagination), how many pixels are on the diagonal?
a) 10
b) 14
c) 20
:wink:

1 Like

Guys, count the PPD so that Pimax is the winner.

1 Like

The overlap is quite significant part of the FOV, I am not sure about the exact numbers, but believe it is about 80-90°, so you cannot ignore it in your calculation. The fact that old HMDs basically covered the overlap with their FOV, while large FOV HMDs (as Pimax) do cover also substantial area outside the overlap makes it complicated.

But this is not all. The PPD is not the same over the whole FOV. It is the function of the optical properties of the system. This is the reason why there are more pixels in the center and less on the periphery. What is usually compared by users is the visual quality (e.g. resolution) in the sweet spot, i.e. in the center. But the calculation you and @kellerbach made do not answer this and cannot answer this. Check doc-ok paper on how PPD resolution changes over the FOV.

3 Likes

In that case it will be the credit card company who will not authorize the deal, and it will come out as “rejected by your bank”, not as “this card is not US credit card”.

The US Samsung site clearly state they won’t ship to non US address

You need to ship it to a US address and use a US billing address. I just purchased 3 and sent them to my freight forwarder in Oregon so international cards definatly work

1 Like