Samsung Odyssey+ Discussion. Review - Through the lens comparison

But I’m talking about the new Samsung Odyssey+ here, for $299 , that’s what this thread is about :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that’s defiantly wrong
2560 is hor. res. for one eye and 170° is the hor. fov for both eye’s
you would need to measure the fov for one eye to compare
to use the 170° and 2560x2 you would need to know the stereo overlap of both eyes, in the overlap area (around the nose) both displays show the same and reduce the amount of pixels that are used for the complete hor. fov

5 Likes

I just bought mine. Curious Sabastion, Does the trick to get the Vive wands working on the original Odyssey still work with this one ?

1 Like

You may take only one display because they overlap to one in VR. This results in a diagonal PPD for odyssey at 110° of 19.6 PPD and for pimax 14.7 PPD if you take a generous 200°. However, 1/3 of the 19.6 has to be subtracted due to missing subpixels, i.e. 13.1.

Odyssey/pro: 13.1
pimax: 14.7.

Please note that all testers have stated that the 5k+ is more detailed than odyssey and vive pro. If it would be as your calculation shows, this impression should not arise at all.

1 Like

You’re right about that. One would have to know the exact FOV from just one eye at both headsets. Nevertheless, a slightly larger PPD for the Pimax results from the plus in subpixels. Since I made the same mistake with both headsets, the ratio remains the same, even if the values are wrong.

1 Like

I guess this headset isnt for me since i cant see sde at all even on the original vive. Guess my only option is to wait for preorders to ship or hope vive and valve announces a better hmd.

1 Like

will you provide a reference to the video that he explains how to do this? thanks

1 Like

But that doesn’t change anything, since you don’t know the overlap on 1 display neither (or better said, the non-overlap per display). You were dividing wrong numbers, as pointed out by @IG88. IF you don’t take overlap in account, my calc is correct. If you do want to take overlap into account you first need to find out what the overlap is. But to me it only complicates the equation for no reason, because if a HMD would have little overlap, sure the PPD would be higher in that calculation but it would be a worse picture. So I think the most fair calc is like I did it, simply without looking at overlap and compare the HMD’s then. If your only goal is to compare PPD’s between HMD’s this is the best thing to do, even though, sure, in absolute terms the PPD’s will be off.

1 Like

32ppd - 1/3 (less subpixel) = 21,4 PPD

vs

“full” 27 PPD. Pimax wins.

This also corresponds to the image impression, which is sharper with the 5k+ than with odyssey and vivepro after all testers who compared these headsets with each other.

1 Like

You’d need to calculate at 87.5% for 5k+ on the horizontal & 80% on the 8k on the horizontal based on what pimax said.

1 Like

Ah, you want to compare sub pixels (PPD is simply pixels). Sure in terms of subpixels the pimax wins.

3 Likes

Not when you compare it to vive pro users on steam survey.

I know that Sabastian is aware of the trick, but it was Sweviver who made the video tutorial.
here - > Tutorial: How to use HTC Vive controllers with Windows Mixed Reality headset in Steam VR - YouTube

With the new Odyssey+ having blue tooth inside and the controllers being pre paired… I wonder if this somehow messes with the trick at all. I would love to use my vive wands with the Odyssey+ when it arrives… I hope someone tests this soon, as I wont get my Odyssey until the end of Dec.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great review Sebastian,

I was very on the fence a few months back for getting a 1st Gen Odyssey, but then the news of production and everything came on the Pimax side, so I waited… but being in the mid 2500s, my hopes of a happy Christmas or New-year, Pimax wise are now dashed, and since I won’t be able to enjoy the Pimax properly until later when I get the controllers and stations… well, I was just too tempted by this amazing sale price and new SDE free tech to miss it.

Pulled the trigger. Merry Christmas to me… At least now I’ll have the lower SDE and Colours on my new Odyssey for a great imax-type home theatre, so I won’t be so on the fence for swapping to the 5K+ easier for the sharper simming, gaming, and desktop work.

Question for you though @mixedrealityTV, specifically in Skyrim (I’m thinking of the style of game, and one I like), do you choose Skyrim in the Odyssey+ for the colour and SDE or the 5K+ for the extra FoV?

2 Likes

That’s right. So you have to subtract 13 or 20% from the Pimax, provided odyssey and vivepro have full 100% panel utilization.

1 Like

But if you do that, then you get 21.6 for the pimax and 21.4 for the Samsung. So about the same. Yet the samsung has the anti SDE filter. I’d prefer that for sure. I think Pimax should see if they can offer this panel (in which case of course you shouldn’t correct for 20%)

1 Like

Except Samsung said only for them. Now there is a fellow experimenting with sunglasses.

1 Like

Going to try this as well but not expecting delivery until just before Christmas.

Wondering if my previous OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator profiles would work right away avoiding the tedious manual offset setup process.

1 Like

In theory, I agree with you that there should be a tie in sharpness. But why is the image sharpness on the comparison photos (sweviver for example) much better with the 5k+? Some factor must be responsible for this.

1 Like

I also tested the Odyssey +, coming from Pimax 4K. I agree the sweet spot is sooo small, also my peripherals were a slightly blurry in videos and games, did you experience this?

The test pics you posted show the “green shark” that seems to be just a few feet in front of the viewer, is this correct, so what I noticed with the Ody+ compared to my P4K is that subjects in the not too far distance were,and I hate to use the word blurry so I will say had less definition

The pics you posted are spot on with what I saw in my Ody+ HMD but Ill bet if you compare the 8K, 5K+ with subjects further off in the distance you will find they become less defined in the Ody+.

Can you maybe post some more test shots of subjects further off into the distance for gamers that like to see more definition?? much thanks and thanks again for taking the time to review the Ody+ !

EDIT: Now that I look at the “green shark” images it looks as te subject is actually further in the background, hence the pixelation, Hmmmm

3 Likes