Samsung Odyssey+ Discussion. Review - Through the lens comparison

1 Like

People say the resolution is better on the 5K+ but they forget that the FOV is HUGE. so that resolution is stretched over a greater area.

1 Like

Where the 5k+ has a resolution advantage is the sub resolution having full rgb vs samsung & vive proā€™s pentile displays.

Pentile 2 subpixels
Lcd RGB 3 subpixels.

Psvr had better sub resolutuon & dispersion filter resulting in less sde than og vive & rift. It also was able look better on a high powered pc to drive it with less resolution.

3 Likes

we will see for sure if sebastian releases compasion lens shots with text in it from simā€™s or virtual desktop

1 Like

thanks, i had seen this but not counted it as announcement, looked more like rumors and speculation without substance, its not even clear if its a pc based hmd

2 Likes

Damm all this talk about the samsung odyssey plus,now i ordered one too and see if its an improvement over my oculus rift.Also the waiting on my pimax takes too longā€¦

.And if my pimax arrivĆ©s in a couple off months(i am a late backer)i can sell it again if i like the pimax betterā€¦

1 Like

there might be more then just a diffusion filter
if comparing the yellow part on the left from ody and ody+ the one from the ody+ looks much sharper, maybe they also changed the pixel layout and/or used full rgb?
better then 8k and maybe as good as 5k+

but imho nothing too greate as the fov is nothing compared to the pimax hmdā€™s

1 Like

Awesome review @mixedrealityTV ! And Iā€™m SO happy Samsung does this CRAZY promotion at $299. This is going to propel the VR industry forward, not that shitty Oculus thing, but this, truely next gen panel HMD at this crazy cheap price. Really good for all VR enthusiasts! And HTC has some problems now, LOL, who will buy that frikkinā€™ Vive (pro) now :slight_smile: And even Pimax should watch out now and get those anti SDE panels ASAP for their HMDā€™s.

7 Likes

Ok just went ahead and ordered one. Couldnā€™t buy it from Samsung.com for not having a US credit card (or paypal registered in USA) but that wasnā€™t a problem at the Microsoft store. Having it shipped to my freight forwarder in Miami, not sure if it ships directly overseas though.

3 Likes

wow you even ordered one even if you got the pimax already?

Yeah the image quality looks quite a bit better than the Pimax 5k+. In fact, @evertec who has them both also prefers the Odyssey. At $299 itā€™s a nobrainer anyway. Iā€™ll probably sell my Vive Pro.

1 Like

2560/170=15ppd (8k/5k+)
1440/110=13ppd (vivepro/odyssey)

plus more subpixels

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a good comparison. The Vivepro/odssey are 94 pixels horizontally, so thatā€™s already more PPD (15.3). Besides pimax reserves space for the IPD mechanism , so thatā€™s more loss. Besides that you should calc the diagonal.

1 Like

yea i had the vive pro also one day i did send it back,i didnt like it at all.

The sweetspot was terrible on the vive pro and the bad microhone but with the new odyssey+ the sweetspot is also that small thats a pittyā€¦

So the big sweetspot on the new pimax would be a good welcome with the bigger field off viewā€¦But the samsung could be good be for something great in between.

2 Likes

Not even worth comparing to the 8k or 5k+ really, this bandwagon of hoping from the most current marginally better headset in this specific category is really starting to rub me the wrong way. I wish the VR community would shift their focus on demanding better VR experiences from developers and content creators instead of this overly done race for headset perfection when i could probably count with one hand the truly game chaning VR experiences that are truly revolutionary which is what VR really needs and not this obsession over the damn SDE

8 Likes

How can you enjoy a good VR experience with crap gen 1 hardware? You canā€™t polish a turd

5 Likes

Exactly. VR is just not attractive enough now for studios because of the lacking user base. Thatā€™s why we need HMDā€™s like these that are not only very good but also very affordable.

You can demand all you want, developers wont care about your ā€˜demandsā€™. They do care about money though, when the user base arrives, theyā€™ll make better productions. Thatā€™s why this is a very good development, Iā€™m really not sure how you can not see this as very positive.

3 Likes

edit2: :stuck_out_tongue:

2560/170 = 15 ppd.

1440/110 - 1/3 = 8,7 ppd (odyssey/vivepro)

Despite the 1600 vertical at odyssey/pro (and the wasted headroom caused by the IPD mechanism), the pimax wins in pixel density per degree. At the end this is proven by the more detailed representation in the pimax headsets.

3 Likes

I donā€™t follow your math. What you should do is calculate how many pixels there are diagonally and then divide that by the FoV.

So:
5k+: pythagoras on 1440 and 5120 = 5318 pixels diagonal. Divided by 200 is 27 PPD.
Ody+: pythagoras on 1440 and 3200 = 3509 pixels diagonal. Divided by 110 is 32 PPD.

And thatā€™s even without taking in account the lost pixels on the pimax due to the IPD mechanism

1 Like

We are at a fundamental crossroad then, just like Facebook with its decision to grow the VR community from the bottom up instead of focusing on creating these bleeding edge headsets that quite frankly only a few thousand would really buy and still not be enough of an ā€œincentiveā€ for developers, as you suggest that all they care about is money. These pimax headsets are not pushing the VR community. 7000 backers is peanuts compared to the numbers needed to push VR and the numbers that Facebook is looking to expose to VR with their approach. According to your logic and what you state as a requirement to get more headsets like these in order to push VR as a whole dont add up. I guarantee you that facebook and their bottom up approach will do a lot more for the overall VR community than pimax ever will with their few thousand enthusiast followers. Oh and i didnt even get to the point that this whole ā€œdoing it for moneyā€ is an absolute poison to any industry, specially new ones like VR. What VR really needs is people who are passionate and wouldnt care if they made a little or a boat load of money for what they do, as long as they are passionate about it. Look at what Palmer did for VR, this was a kid who was truly passionate about what he was doing and i guarantee you that money was never his #1 priority like these developers you are referencing. Iā€™m sure not all developers are like that and i know some of the good ones have been behind some of the better VR experiences out there. Again, my point is that we need more truly passionate people out there pushing for experiences whose #1 priority isnt just making money

1 Like