RTX 30 Series Discussion - Part 1

A great thread. But I will wait for actual non-RT benchmarks. How many VR games even use RT? Maybe I am missing something here

1 Like

The few non-RT benchmarks Iā€™ve seen leaked indicate that the non-RT performance gain is quite similar to the RT gains. Iā€™ve only seen relative performance graphs though. Weā€™ll need to wait for actual user benchmarks with real numbers, to be certain of the performance, but so far it looks like the 3080 will be quite good. (Iā€™m still going to wait for a super/Ti with 20GB though.)

4 Likes

Wanted to say the same thing: not sure if itā€™s a bug but in the most recent open betas, I regularly hit the 11GB VRAM on my 2080Ti and it is accompanied by some severe stuttering when I load the next mission, fix is the restart DCS completely.
Might be a memory leak, though.

1 Like

X-plane has been a huge disappointment for me.

Neither Vulkan nor the 8K-X brought any big difference to the clarity due to the horrible engine. CPU frametimes are simply sh*t, no amount of GPU power or resolution is going to change that. Running it at 37Hz with Smart smoothing simply doesnā€™t cut it for me.
I grind my teeth every time I run it (and Iā€™m doing a PPL IRL, so I could use the practice).

2 Likes

Judging by Nvidiaā€™s previous generation Iā€™d rate the chance for a 20GB card low but there could be a beefy upgrade if a 3080 TI is released. Super cards shipped with the same amount of RAM.

8GB: 1080, 2080/2080 Super
vs
11GB: 1080 TI, 2080 TI

2 Likes

True. Iā€™d prefer the nVidia FE version (because of the cooler design), but if need be, Iā€™ll go with some other brand. nVidia has said that their partners may release a 20GB version.

I think the odds of 20GB versions are much higher, now that AMD has announced that their models will all have 16GB.

2 Likes

i had some crashes in beta after my vram usage increased from 98 to 99%. Decreased details or less supersampling solved it. The Syria Map is very demanding.

1 Like

Hi,

I plan to buy Pimax8KX (at preorder now) and also I will do my PC upgrade for new motherboard, CPU, RAM and of cause new GPU.

Iā€™d like to raise few topics, any opinions welcome:

1. I plan to buy RTX 3090 as this GPU has 24GB VRAM. In my opinion for 8K, 10GB VRAM in RTX 3080 could be not sufficient. However, if DLSS 2.1 will be working fine, then probably RTX 3080 will be a good option too. Third party RTX 3080 with more VRAM could be a good opportunity, however a price could be high as 3090.
  2. New PC architecture. As I plan to use RTX 3090/3080 and fast SSD M.2 drive (5000MB/s reads) which are both PCI-E 4.0, I plan to go with PC ready for PCI-E 4.0 also. I like Intel very much, as Intel CPUs have more performance per core than AMD. Unfortunately Intel doesnā€™t support PCI-E 4.0. Therefore I plan to go with AMD Ryzen 7 3800X on motherboard with X570 chipset.
    I have seen lots of YT benchmarks showing that at 4K resolution there is no difference between AMD and Intel, even if AMD works on PCI-E 4.0 and Intel works on PCI-E 3.0.

I expect that at 8K resolutions, the PCI-E 3.0 bottleneck will be shown, specially when in parallel fast SSD M.2 drives will be installed. However I didnā€™t see any 8K benchmarks with RTX 2080Ti on Intel (PCI-E 3.0) vs AMD (PCI-E 4.0).

2 Likes

I doubt that. Iā€™d estimate it to be under $1000, hopefully under $900 (assuming you wait for the initial orders to die down). My understanding is that the GPUs are few, due to Samsung 8nm yield issues. That means for the first few months, prices will be extra high, probably above MSRP.

Also, unfortunately, the 3080 appears to be an excellent coin mining card: 3 to 4 times the performance of a 2080 (at mining, not graphics) and uses less energy per coin. That means competition for 30xx cards will be very high.

3 Likes

The new RTXā€™s are likely very efficient using ASTC.

Hereā€™s some info on that:

5 Likes

That looks good

6 Likes

Hmm, my 2080ti is 28% above the FE, almost on a par with the 3080.
Now the question is what can the 3080 do with OC?

4 Likes

It sounds like you may want to skip the 30xx generation, at least until a 3080Ti/Super is released.

3 Likes

wil see, what the 3090 says.
But to be honest, I would like an RTX Titan for 1000-1200 euros . Itā€™s not faster than my Ti, but it fits my cooler and brings me more vram.

2 Likes

Welcome to the OpenMR Forum! I have bumped your user level by 1 for your convenience. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

GamerNeXus has some great info on Bandwidth with Gpus. Tbh atm it is too soon to see how much gains one might get with PCIX 4.0. However for gains NVNE ssdd still worth it imho.

Back with DDR3 intel was slower than Amd to adopt. What it comes down to is comparing games you want to run vs CPU to see if there is enough gains to go with A or B. And other programs you run.

7 Likes

Well dependsā€¦

2 Likes

dlssā€¦
raw power interests us.

How long the developers had the chance to integrate Multi GPU from VRworks? 3 years, 4 years? Nothing has happened.
Until DLSS appears in our games, there will be 4099ti Superdooper or so.

2 Likes

Trust me, I really hope so. Maybe I am just weathered from previous launches haha. I think a single 3090 would be ideal. Letā€™s see

1 Like

Majority of programmers more want agnostic features used acrossed gpus versus propietary sdks.

Though some do adopt flags of one or the other.

3 Likes

Agreed, but I donā€™t want to spend that much. A 20GB 3080 Ti/Super is much more appealing to me.

2 Likes