[RESOLVED] Pimax Not Detected - AMD 5700 XT

In PiTool, select 64Hz and then 90Hz. No matter what It’s using the selector shows 90. It’s a bug, I guess, or a “feature”… :slightly_smiling_face:

You can see the refresh rate currently set by PiTool in the left lower corner of PiTool.

2 Likes

Amd 5700. I have been in contact with a Friend. He says Amd is aware of this issue & only affects Pimax Headsets. Amd is looking to try & have this resolved with other driver optimizations for the end of Sept. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Until then I reccommend waiting before exploring a 5700(Navi) with Pimax.

Have posted a link elsewhere on a great deal on rx 580.

2 Likes

Well, I tried ProjectCars2 and that made my mind up in terms of keeping the Pimax (yes). Assetto Corsa is next on my list of games to try. I’ve initiated the return on the 5700. Too bad, it was a great card, but I can’t keep it in hopes that they will fix the problem. Will end up with a 2070 Super when I can get one at a decent price. They are really gouging on those currently because they are in demand.

2 Likes

Just to confirm 5k+? Yeah it is too bad Amd’s new cards are not quite there yet in compatability.

Especially after pulling the stops out on cpus.

1 Like

They really are gouging for prices on these new RTX cards. I got my 1st car for less than a 2080 ti.

2 Likes

Yeah, the 2080 Ti is seriously overpriced, but the problem is actually that all the RTX cards are underperformers. nVidia shifted the products downward (2080 became the 2070, etc.) so that the performance wasn’t a complete joke.

The 2080 Ti was originally supposed to be the Titan version, which is a professional card. Previous Titans typically sold for more like $2000-3500, so the 2080 Ti could be considered a bargain, except that the performance doesn’t really justify even the current price.

2 Likes

Had to return the 2070 (not even the super) I had borrowed and have since tried 2 more AMD cards just for kicks while I wait to buy my own supported card. Absolutely zero luck on any AMD card I’ve tried. 5700 XT, R9 390, and 580X. In all cases the Pimax was undetected. Even tried a few different versions of the AMD drivers and uninstalled using DDU. So my advice is, don’t even bother trying a Pimax with AMD cards, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I see you’re mostly on simracing like me…my advice for now is to get an used 1080Ti, preferably one of the overclocked models, you will find many in the used market for very reasonable prices, and performance wise it is faster than most new Nvidia RTX cards except the 2080Ti , especially when used with the mayority of today’s simracing games.

1 Like

Weird on the r9 390 as mine has been working. Will need to retest when I have time. (Prob not til weekend). Know folks have had rx 580 & vegas working.

Ugh. Well I hate to say it, but I just stuck in a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super. Never wanted to spend that much on a video card, especially when the performance really isn’t that much better than the 5700 XT, but the gouging on 2070 Supers is so much right now that I only paid a small amount more for the 2080 Super. Big step up from the borrowed 2070 though. Assetto Corsa runs great at 50+fps and Project Cars 2 runs well also, at slightly lower FPS and a bit less overall fidelity (but way more other eye-candy, obviously). Everything worked well as soon as I popped-in the Nvidia card.

3 Likes

I’ve been mulling over buying a card, but I just can’t justify the cost. And it’s not even cracking 60fps? Oy.

I thought about getting the 2080 super, but the second I do I’m afraid Nvidia is going to come out with 7 nanometer chips, to be like “surprise!”

1 Like

@VRGIMP27 - I’m very picky about fidelity, so I’m running these games at 100% quality in both Pimax and Steam VR settings. Since I’m currently playing seated racing Sims with a dedicated racing seat with FFB wheel where I’m not going to hurl if the FPS drops much below 90 I’m not trying to maintain 90 fps in those games. When I let Steam VR control the quality both games run at 90fps. I should have been more clear about that.

2 Likes

Bought the 5k headset and I am really disappointed
Error 10935, no way to get the pimax connected to amd gpu 5700xt.
Latest AMD driver installed, but does not work (19.9.3).
Despite of this issue with the pimax I am really happy with my 5700xt.

To my opinion these pimax headsets are “nvidia only”.
Maybe by design?

Hi,

Can you post some more info on your setup?
Windows Ver
Cpu/Ram
Motherboard

With your cpu/MB if it has an integrated GPU it needs to be Disabled.

Amd cards (typically Vega & newer) are having some issues with Pimax headsets. Amd is working with pimax to resolve this.

Ryzen 1800x (so no igpu issue)
32 GB Ram
Asrock 470 Taichi, latest BIOS, no igpu
Win 10, latest updates

Okay the team is away til monday.

I would reccommend filing a support Ticket with support. @Doman.Chen & @Matthew.Xu can likely arrange a teamviewer session to see what is going on.

@Willyfisch a fellow member here might have some ideas that may help getting this to work.

My main pc has a r7 2700x with a 1080ti. My 2ndary system is an i5 6500 with an r9 390 8g (which is interesting this oldy works with pimax)

Hi @wmueller,

Sorry for the late response.

Please tell me your ticket number and I’ll ask the technicians to help you.

Thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely,
Matthew

1 Like

Hi wmueller,

could you evaluate some solution for your 5700 xt problem? I think its a no go to offer Pimax 5k+ or similar HMDS with the words “GPS: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 and AMD® equivalent or above”. @Doman.Chen @Matthew.Xu : Is there some solution in prospective in near future?

i opened a Ticket (#20607) and posted an log.zip for this error too, and i was thanked for my feedback and it was mentioned that the Problem was send to the R&D Department. That’s a small comfort for a 600$ hmd thats not working with a gpu thats offered in the shop.

Please let us amd users know whats going on :pensive::unamused:

I would really like to use my pimax 5k+ but if there is no possibility soon to do this i would reclaim my headset as soon as possible…

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.
I have some good news for you. I confirmed with the software product manager that we have fixed this problem and the next Pitool will update it.
By the way, Alex @Alex.liu is our software product manager. If you have any questions related to Pitool or software, you can contact Alex.

3 Likes

Hallo all,

as mentioned above @Alex.liu assured me in a pm, that there will be a fix for the AMD 5700 xt Problem within the next pitool. So i’m looking forward and i give my 5k+ an additional chance and wait for the pitool…

Thanks

Pinhead

3 Likes