[Replied]Flashing Dots, faulty cable?**CONFIRMED**

Hi all, I finally received my pimax 5k+ yesterday and I am pleased with the headset, but there is a problem. When using the headset, there is a problem of flickering dots on the screen. It is the exact problem described by this forum thread: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-5k-turns-black-every-few-seconds-and-white-pixel-flickering/14516

It also looks like the same problem in this forum thread:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/solved-backer-342-pimax-rma-2-unit-arrived-screen-flickering-dots-another-faulty-unit/13252

To troubleshoot, I have tried using a different Display Port on my PC, a different USB port, a different power plug from the wall and also tried reseating the cable in the headset. None of these have worked and I think the cable is probably faulty. I have submitted a ticket, SUPEN-2007 but if anyone knows anything else I can try until I hear back from Pimax support I’d be grateful. Also if there is any chance this support ticket could be chased up it would be much appreciated @anon74848233 thankyou.

Cheers,

Andy.

2 Likes

You’re probably right.

2 Likes

Something I have noticed which is a little odd, when i first turn the headset on from a cold boot there are no/very few flickering dots, then slowly they begin to appear and after 10 minutes they’re everywhere just like the video clips in other forum threads. Very strange, I hope the cable can fix this but who knows. I can also hear a very faint buzzing in the top right of the headset at all times, is this normal? It is only very quiet but just about audible.

2 Likes

Ensure your pc case is closed as I know many users sometimes run with cover off.

But yes it’s possible bad cable.

Just to confirm backer?

Thanks, I do indeed have the pc case closed and also tried shielding the cable with some tinfoil but seems to make no difference unfortunately. Yes UK backer No 3388.

1 Like

Same thing here, but I noticed it’s game related. Some games start fine and after some time the dots appear. Restating the headset and Steam vr and the dots are gone…

2 Likes

Maybe our friendly forum member @allocen can share if he was able to eliminate the buzzing.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/just-received-my-5k-but-small-issue-with-a-noise/13936

2 Likes

It’s the same thing with my PC -> 4k TV on HDMI with 4k content. Red flickering sparks, sometimes very visible on black background, sometimes not at all.
Not sure what is/was wrong, haven’t played PC games on TV for awhile now.

BUT I had a problem just a few days ago, TV going bonkers and I found out it acted up when the PC HDMI was connected. It appears my PC has ~113 voltages between the case and the ground :zap::grin:
I can feel the buzzing with my finger when I touch the PC case.
Bad PSU obviously, ordered a new one.

Edit. Not sure yet if this caused the red sparks.
Those sparks are definately because of EMI interference caused by bad cable or electricity weirdness or something else.

Edit 2. Maybe the Pimax idea of making a single cable with both signal and power wasn’t that great and the wires inside are not well enough insulated. Or maybe the cable manufacturer went cheapo of the copper or smthng

2 Likes

Yeah, im having the same issue, exact spot, i emailed the @Pimax-Support and created a ticket aswell and oh well they said they are on it:

hi,
sorry for the delay.
we started work yesterday,we will provide replacement to you ASAP.
please be patient

I recorded the sound the best i could and sent them proof. Anyway that little noise keeps bothering me nonstop, thats why i asked for a replacement, also i tried different plugs and all the same. This should never happen tho, didnt happend with Rift/Vive/PSVR.

Luckily with all that small issue, my headset came like a KING, no black-dots, no dead pixels, no bad cable or anything. Anyway I’m still waiting for their email.

4 Likes

That sounds worse than a nagging wife. At least they give you moments of peace from time to time.
Hope there’s a fix or you’ll get a replacement.

4 Likes

Same issue i sent alan a video by his request. Hopefully i can get a fast replacement

1 Like

Let us know if you do, they accepted mine as a cable fault on January 24 and I was told a cable would be sent. Not got any reply since then and definitely not a tracking number or shipping notification.

@anon74848233

I submitted a ticket three weeks ago on the same day I received my headset for pixel noise, and have PM’d @Dallas.Hao… still nothing.

What remaining patience and good will I had with Pimax is long gone.

@Jean-Mehdi I see you’ve received your headset at almost the same time as me from the same batch and are also suffering from the flickering pixels. Please let me know if you hear anything from Pimax with regard to cable replacement or another fix if there is one. I hope we all get this sorted soon by Pimax as I have to admit it’s a bit disappointing after waiting all this time! The headset seems great so far otherwise though at least.

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew.

Submit a ticket if you haven’t already. Sounds like a bad cable. Some have removed cable & used I think contact cleaner? To fix. But likely cable.

@anon74848233 please add to earlybackers

Yeah but they don’t sleep enough. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Wow there really seems to be a huge amount of bad cables out there . But the good news is the black dots and dead pixel problems seem to have dropped significantly . Or am I wrong ?

1 Like

No black dots or dead pixels. Just need a new cable

I also have the same problem. I submitted a support ticket- SUPEN-1901 on Tuesday 2-12-19. I have still not heard anything. Who do I need to contact to get this resolved? I live in the United States. Backer # 6681

@anon74848233

1 Like

Something like cables could have easily been ordered in a multi 100 or even 1000 unit batch, so an entire bad batch is going to be far more visible than individual assemble errors or the normal single digit failure rates in most micro electronics.

1 Like