Remember the eye strain issues with the 8K and 5K+? Lets discuss whether the 8K+ or 8KX will be plagued with these issues

Someone should have made a list of the benefits/risks to meddling with the software IPD settings a while ago, so I’ll take the time to write what I know from my testing

There should be a section in pitool which gives these following hints near the advanced IPD settings to help people know what happens when they adjust them.

One thing to be aware of is Pimax lenses are supposedly not designed to be looked at in the middle, which would reduce the visibility of fresnel rings. The middle of the rings are 10mm further apart than what the software reads. So if you measure the distance between the middle of both the lenses whilst the hardware IPD setting reads “60mm”, it will actually be 70mm.

The result of this is that looking through the lenses with a 10mm lower hardware IPD setting than your actual near/far (3mm discrepancy) IPD (from what it reads on the headset when you adjust the IPD dial) , then you will see images in both eyes clearly without blur when looking ahead, although the images in both eyes may be blurry when looking side to side. When the hardware IPD setting is where Pimax wants you to put it, you cannot see the image clearly in both eyes looking forward, and only in one eye at a time to the side.

Fresnel rings are less visible in the setting where the eyes are sitting in the middle of the lenses achieved with a 10mm lower hardware IPD setting if you are within the range to do it, and software IPD offsets can not change this fact at all.

For this reason, Pimax should incorporate the extreme IPD mod in their future headsets to give users a greater physical hardware IPD range, and they really should develop better lenses and look at how much they angle the displays.

So in summary

• Making 3d Depth better - 0.5+ or - on the vertical offset for left or right eye can make 3d depth appear better for some users.
  • Feeling crosseyed in vorpx where parallel projections doesn’t work - Set hardware IPD to minimum (60mm) and -5 to -10 on the horizontal software offset for both eyes.
  • Software IPD offset settings do not effect visibility of fresnel rings
  • Lower hardware IPD offset by 10mm than your measured near/far IPD - allows for clear image when looking ahead, but not to the sides in either eye.
  • Higher hardware IPD offset than your measured near/far IPD - makes the image unclear in both eyes looking ahead.
  • “Correct” hardware IPD values - clear image ahead (some people need a few mm less than their "correct value to see clearly ahead), and blurry in one eye when looking to the sides.
  • Higher software IPD offset (+ positive value) - more compression (distortion) at edges - pushes image out towards ears
  • Lower software IPD offset (- negative value) - eliminates edge distortion - pulls image in towards nose
3 Likes

There are some good 3d side by side pics that can be used in Steamvr player that may work well.

Try a search for VRcal

2 Likes

As far as I am concerned, the right way to deal with e.g. an eye that sits higher than the other is not to apply any software offset, but to “twist” the HMD on one’s face.

Physical optical alignment first - then we can consider workaround tricks, to compensate for any distance remaining to perfect alignment, given our personal circumstances.

3 Likes

Exactly. this should not be that hard to do, and is the cheapest option.

2 Likes

I searched Steam and Google but didn’t find anything related to VRcal. I did find these old links though:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/looking-for-a-better-ipd-calibration-method-than-matching-the-built-in-number/11427

https://community.openmr.ai/t/here-is-how-to-simulate-oculus-ipd-pattern-with-the-pimax/9800

However, this is actually besides the point - which is that Pimax need to supply all these things out of the box, and not ask users to go and dig around themselves for solutions to make the headsets work properly. I don’t mind, but this is no good compared to Oculus etc for average users.

To grow their market and sales, they need to stop relying on enthusiasts’ self reliance, and ensure VR beginners are catered for just as well

1 Like

Is it fair to assume that its pointless testing hardware IPD values higher than your measured near or far IPD as it makes the image blurry in both eyes looking ahead?

I think these are the relevant tests.

Lower than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured near IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Lower than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured far IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Lower hardware IPD setting makes image clear in both eyes looking ahead, at the cost of clarity at the sides.

Software IPD setting with positive values compresses image at the edge, but will pull the image back to the centre to make it appear “normal” when looking through the centre of the lenses with a lower hardware IPD value.

This is a recommended setting composition. (any of the above values)

Lower than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured near IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Lower than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured far IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Lower hardware IPD setting makes image clear in both eyes looking ahead, at the cost of clarity at the sides in both eyes.

Software IPD setting with negative values reduce edge distortion, but will pull the image towards the nose and will not look right whilst hardware IPD settings are lower than “correct” to make it appear “normal” when looking through the centre of the lenses with a lower hardware IPD value.

This is not a recommended setting

Higher than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured near IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Higher than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured far IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Higher hardware IPD setting to your measured near / far IPD makes image unclear in both eyes looking ahead, whilst maybe making the image clearer whilst looking to the sides in one eye at a time.

Software IPD setting with positive values increase edge distortion, combined with a higher hardware IPD than your measured IPD this will make the image appear crosseyed.

This setting composition is not recommended.

Higher than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured near IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)
Higher than “correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured far IPD by 2.5mm, 5mm and by 10mm with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

Higher hardware IPD setting to your measured near / far IPD makes image unclear in both eyes looking ahead, whilst maybe making the image clearer whilst looking to the sides in one eye at a time.

Software IPD setting with negative values reduce edge distortion, this will pull the image towards the nose and it will compensate for hardware IPD settings which are set higher than your measured IPD value.

This setting composition is not recommended.

“Correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured near IPD and with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

“Correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your measured far IPD and with positive software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

This setting composition is not reccomended.

“Correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your near IPD and with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

“Correct” (shown on screen) hardware IPD to your far IPD and with negative software offset of 2.5mm, 5mm, 7mm and 10mm)

This is a recommended setting - if after using the “correct” displayed hardware IPD values and you think you might require software IPD offset (although as above posters mentioned try without software offset before resorting to that)

Takeaway:
a -0.5mm horizontal offset (in one or both eyes it’s unclear), in addition to;
a hardware IPD value 3.7mm less than your “near” IPD measurement, or
a hardware IPD value 5.8mm less than your “far” IPD measurement
(4.2mm or 4.7mm less than “near” IPD measurement and 6.3mm or 6.8mm less than “far” IPD measurement with the horizontal offset in one or both eyes factored in)
Supposedly gives the most optimal view.

Altogether, people are using offsets reducing actual IPD between 4mm and 7mm from your measured “near” or “far” IPD depending on which value you want to use to get the most comfortable view in Pimax headsets.

I’m still unsure if it’s better to use near or far IPD measurements, maybe @risa2000 or @jojon can weigh in on that one?

@PimaxQuorra Pimax should really consider implementing the extreme IPD mod adjustments in future headsets made by Pimax for the extra hardware IPD range, as it’s really required using the current lenses, or the lenses need to be redesigned so that they are no longer fresnel so they have a wider viewing circles.

The alternative is updating the software for the moment to tell people the correct setting is actually between 3mm-7mm less than what the software is telling you on screen (which is already incorrect as the value on screen is 10mm less than the physical distance between the centre of both lenses, even if it’s the “correct” viewing angle ((which isn’t in the middle of the lenses?)) it’s clearly not actually “correct” and should be at least 3-7mm less than what it says it is to get the best view using the current lenses.

1 Like

Here we go again. As one account isn’t enough.

Thanks for the reply but none of that was why I was seeing more glare. The issue was a change in Windows specifically relating to HDR. My PC is connected to a HDR TV and for some time HDR has not been enabled due to some issue in Windows. This happened before I got the Pimax. But a recent update to Windows fixed the HDR option so I re-enabled it. It was just poor coincidence that I started this testing the next time I used the Pimax after this change and whites became too bright, reading text on a white page became difficult and the bright whites were so bright I was seeing glare in the Pimax. After turning HDR off all is good again.

With HDR on this was an issue with any IPD setting so the glare had nothing to do with that. When I first saw the glare I immediately suspected it was because I was looking at a different part of the lense so I immediately compare my original correct setting vs the new setting and they were both the same.

Did I miss something? Who are you talking about? I really hope I am not being accused of having more than one account again because as I have said previously, I have only one account, this is the only account I have ever created here and it uses the same email I have created my tickets with so Pimax know my real name.

It’s the same guy talking to himself yet again…

i’m not sure who you’re talking about either, but its not very professional for you to bring irrelevant spite you have towards someone into this thread when people in this thread are just trying to give solutions to the issues that quite a lot of people have been facing which just keeps keeps getting swept under the rug.

These are probably the best IPD settings that we can get using the current lenses, and some people in the lower IPD settings actually need the extreme IPD mod to get the clearest picture.

Optimal viewing distance is minus 3.2mm to 5.8 mm of your measured “near” and “far” IPD respectively, less than the hardware IPD value shown on screen when adjusting the IPD dial.

59.9mm hardware IPD value on screen = 69.9mm distance between centre of both lenses

IPD mod – gives 4mm extra IPD range

New hardware minimum with IPD mod = 55.9mm hardware = 65.9mm centre lense distance

According to anecdotal evidence, the following values should be ideal for you depending on your measured near or far IPD. (Add or subtract a milimeter if your exact value isn’t shown.)

LOW ipd users – 55mm – 57mm

Require lowest hardware IPD setting (59.9mm) and offset of -2mm to -5mm, and IPD mod

53mm near IPD = = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
55mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 49.8mm-49.3mm (59.9mm hardware setting and -10mmmm horizontal offset, or IPD mod and -6mm-6.5mm horizontal offset)

55mm near IPD = = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
57mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 51.8mm-51.3mm (59.9mm hardware setting and -8mm-8.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod and -4mm-4.5mm horizontal offset)

57mm near IPD = = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
59mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 53.8mm-53.3mm (59.9mm hardware setting and -6mm-6.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod and -2mm-2.5mm horizontal offset)

MID ipd users – 58mm – 60mm

Require lowest hardware IPD setting (59.9mm) and offset of -2mm to -5mm, and/or IPD mod

i.e. 60mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
62mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 56.8mm-56.3mm(59.9mm hardware setting and -3mm-3.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod) (No software offset required for optimal view in this range if using IPD mod)

58mm near IPD = = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
60mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 54.8mm-54.3mm (59.9mm hardware setting and -5mm-5.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod and -1mm-1.5mm horizontal offset)

56mm near IPD = = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
58mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 52.8mm-52.3mm (59.9mm hardware setting and -7mm-7.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod and -3mm-3.5mm horizontal offset)

High ipd users 65mm-70mm
Require low-mid hardware IPD settings and do not require IPD mod or software offsets

i.e. 62mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
64mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 58.8mm-58.3mm(59.9mm hardware setting and -1mm-1.5mm horizontal offset, or IPD mod) (No software offset required for optimal view in this range)

64mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
66mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 60.8mm-60.3mm hardware IPD setting and no software offset is required for optimal view in this range

66mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
68mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 62.8mm-62.3mm hardware IPD setting and no software offset is required for optimal view in this range

68mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
70mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 64.8mm-64.3mm hardware IPD setting and no software offset is required for optimal view in this range

70mm near IPD = 3.2mm-3.7mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal offset
72mm far IPD = 5.3mm-5.8mm less with/without 0.5 horizontal
Optimal setting = 66.8mm-66.3mm hardware IPD setting and no software offset is required for optimal view in this range

2 Likes

No your mistaken on that. As only one has posted in this topic that might have more than 1 account.

Not to worry you were cleared of that long ago. The person in question was known for creating so many accounts it has to be a full time job or a sole purpose in life.

No one that has a life would waste so much time creating spam accounts.

2 Likes

Do you think you would have “spam” accounts on the forums if the mods weren’t so quick to ban/mute accounts who talk about these issues which literally prevent using the headset for more than 15 minutes, especially after people have invested $$$$ into products with such glaring issues?

I don’t know but I think pimax’s approach of ignoring their serious issues and pretending they don’t exist and banning people for even mentioning them hasn’t been working for them so far.

The guy had a dozen accounts often posting replies to himself from numerous people literally inside the same threads. Very long rambling messages strangely similar to your own…

1 Like

So just because I write an in depth long message addressing these issues (which are filled with measurements and values by the way…) I’m automatically that person?

I was trying to help the community by putting what insight I know about getting the correct IPD into this thread, seeing as the op asked for solutions to the eyestrain problem (which pimax still hasn’t addressed or provided an explanation on how to use the software settings properly by the way)

Do you accuse everyone who writes a long message on these forums to be this same person? because it sounds like a bad tactic to deflect criticism and i’ve seen you baselessly accuse others for the same thing before arbitrarily when you hear something you don’t like

2 Likes

No that’s not been a problem. The Spam accounts were just that. Verified as the same person. Real people haven’t had the problems you describe as of late.

Is that right? …

Sounds like these people have been using the Pimax lenses with the incorrect settings (lower than the “60mm” shown on hardware minimum) just to avoid getting eyestrain, so no one has this problem huh?