Remember the eye strain issues with the 8K and 5K+? Lets discuss whether the 8K+ or 8KX will be plagued with these issues

The experiment was not to try an eliminate eye strain. The experiment was to eliminate edge distortion. As I said there is a bug in Pitool that contributes to edge distortion. The higher the IPD offset is, the more compression you get towards the edges. Lowering IPD offset almost eliminates edge distortion.

We discussed lower manual IPD settings previously so you know I have already experimented with these and I have already stated how they reduce eye strain. They also improve visual clarity by placing the eye in front of a clearer area of the lens. However running a positive offset is also counter productive as it increases distortion and this distortion contributes to eye strain. That is the interesting thing. I can see fine with a zero offset and a manual IPD matching my real IPD. I can also see fine running an extremely high manual setting with a large negative offset but the clarity is greatly reduced. But I canā€™t see when running a low manual IPD with a positive offset and have double vision. I can however still see fine by running a low IPD combined with a negative IPD offset for a end result up almost up to 9mm below my actual IPD.

5 Likes

Itā€™s the canted lens design. People who have used other VR headsets with no issues only first had it when they switched to the Pimax. Index owners also report it and it also uses a canted design.

@neal_white_iii There will be exceptions and I can even think of an eye condition that may be well suited to the canted design. Perhaps there is a benefit to never owning other VR first. But I also remember all the reports of people getting sick when they first tried VR and needing to develop VR legs and I had no such experience. One of the first things I tried in VR was Rollercoasters. However I also donā€™t get lost in VR like most people do. I do get immersed in the moment but Iā€™m always aware that I am in VR and aware of my real world surroundings at the same time. When I wrote that comment I knew someone would mention they did not need to adapt because I knew that comment does not apply to absolutely everyone. As a general rule, people will need to adapt to the canted design as it is not a natural way of seeing.

4 Likes

Isnā€˜t the obvious solution to then simply not pre-order but wait until you can get your hands on a unit?

If you know you had issues with the predecessor and the basic design is the same, there is a likelihood that in spite of all changes like smaller display size etc. you will experience they same issue.

As was the conclusion for a number of issues some users had and others didnā€˜t this seems to be depending on factors also including the individualā€˜s head shape, eye positioning etc. and I would simply wait with ordering if I were affected.

I expect to see the same convergence issue I had and which hardly anybody else suffered from (but as I know I get used to ignoring it it doesnā€˜t prevent me from nevertheless eagerly awaiting my 8KX)

3 Likes

To clarify some things: Distortion correction in software can do its job differently well - making things geometrically - projectionally - correct. It can do it differently well, taking into account different physical factors, such as an imperfect IPD or eye relief distance (EDIT: both just constituent factors of alignment), and it can do differently well depending on which direction one is looking (by means of eyeball swivelling) at any given moment. Reports suggest that this matter has been much improved, reducing stretching/compression of the view significantly - excellent!

ā€¦butā€¦ With current optics, no image manipulation can make something that is optically out of focus, come into focus; The canting has some inherent consequences on the focus situation, and the optics we have seen so far do not have the field flattening property that would moot those consequences.

(EDIT2: As an aside: SDE is another physical factor, which does not change in any way with how much supersampling one apply. That said: You could easily sell me on the notion that anything that makes it easier to resolve detail in the imagery - which includes both higher screen resolution, and supersampling - will make us less likely to squint and struggle to make out something that is unclear, thus picking out the screen door effect in the process.)

3 Likes

which eye condition do you assume makes canted headsets appear better?

this comment is really interesting, i will have to conduct some testing in line with what you suggested to see if it improves clarity and reduces distortion

1 Like

I immediately thought of this guyā€¦ Sorryā€¦ :upside_down_face:

Fine

6 Likes

Hahahaha, very funny. On a serious note though i think that people who have diplopia may not be affected by the ā€œlack of 3d depthā€ issue, and people who have myopia may also not be affected by the ā€œlack of 3d depthā€ which might be caused to the display canting, because people who experience myopia most likely have a keener sense of peripheral vision and therefore the canting of displays may be more apparent to far sighted people, and people who experience diplopia might not experience 3d depth at all

1 Like

@DrWilken was kind of correct, I imagine those with mild exotropia would possibly have less issues with an exotropic design.

It seems you have combined the things I mentioned as exclusive. Improved clarity comes by positioning your eyes in front of the clearest part of the lense, people have been achieving this by moving the lenses closer with a smaller manual IPD adjustment. Alternatively a negative offset to the IPD offset reduces image distortion. In my case I can actually combine these and still see and this may be because I have a mild esotropic eye condition. It is not ideal for me to do this but I was just pointing out I can. In my case it is actually more ideal to run a wider manual IPD adjustment with a lower IPD offset. This improves distortion at the cost of clarity and is more correct as the IPD after the two combine is correct. But even this is not ideal.

Iā€™m not actually recommending anyone uses any of these incorrect settings. For me they mess up my vision but also force me to need to readapt to seeing in the Pimax. I think I regret even trying these experiments. But the one eyed experiment I recommended to display how the IPD offset setting incorrectly effects edge distortion I recommend trying just to confirm that edge distortion is a software issue and can be mostly eliminated. I do not recommend trying to eliminate it yourself using incorrect settings. I think Pimax should fix this issue in an update.

At the moment Iā€™ve had to take a break from VR because these experiments have returned me to my original state of double vision. Now I need to adapt to seeing in Pimax again.

2 Likes

I was one of the guys with high eye strain in my 5K+.

I finally get rid of this problem thanks to that I found my perfect adjustment for each eye, vertical IPD, horizontal, and distance.

Pimax Lens donā€™t produce eye strain. pimax lens simply are more difficult to adjust for beginners.

The real problems is that pitool doesnā€™t have a tool to adjust and test your perfect settings in manual mode, like other headsets, but more advanced because canted Display/Lens need more adjustments. And people want it works without touching anything. Is like if I want to use other headset without touching IPD. Blurry image everywhere.

We need a tool to adjust all of this IPDs, horizontal, vertical, and a MAS/Comfort Kit to control distance, and a test to verify the eye strain and distortion are gone.

9 Likes

It also skips over the fact that one of them is a survey with a response rate of 41% saying they get eyestrain or blur. And now we have several reviewers at CES saying they still noticed some distortion but Pimax official are trying to say it doesnā€™t exist at all now. Its not a great look.

Why not just admit that the cost of the extremely large FOV is that it has slight edge distortion - some people notice this on other headsets with much lower FOVā€™s so just admit it and frame it for reference, not just flat out try to deny it exists.

6 Likes

Yes, saying SDE is gone and distortion is gone is simply not true and it would be much better and much better received when itā€™s said that both SDE and distortion are very minimal now, and have the reviewers tell the audience itā€™s totally acceptable

2 Likes

To be fair I donā€™t recall any official statements from Pimax saying that distortion doesnā€™t exist at all now. In fact I recall Sweviver saying that minimal distortion may still be noticed in extreme edges of the view. All they have said is that the distortion issue has been greatly reduced from previous headsets. All of the reports of no distortion that I have read or seen came from the responses of people who have been testing the headsets when asked the question.

8 Likes

Xunshu more or less did long ago. She said something like ā€œHigh FoV headsets come with Compromisesā€

1 Like

I noticed this recently in Boneworks trying to look at objects close up, but I donā€™t know of any real answer until a more sophisticated solution with varifocals and some degree of automation arrives.

Closest thing Iā€™ve seen is the Oculus concept, but no idea if and when concept will morph into affordable reality. LCD lenses instead of optical ones are an interesting idea by themselves:

2 Likes

At the end of the day there is a problem, or we would not be having this conversation, Its dose not do anyone any good especially Pimax, by constantly denying there is a problem. This has already cost Pimax money with the constant denial of cracking cases.
It would OR should be an easy fix by just making the small plastic parts inside the HMD to give more range on the IPD dial, this has already been done by one user if I remember correctly.

3 Likes

Yes Reddit Extreme Ipd mod (only one has seemingly denied)

https://amp-reddit-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/bq4q8f/extreme_ipd_mod/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15797909383055&amp_ct=1579790941956&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FPimax%2Fcomments%2Fbq4q8f%2Fextreme_ipd_mod%2F

3 Likes

Yes that one, thanks :sunglasses:

1 Like

I did have a bit of eyestrain issue at first, but with Pitoolā€™s software IPD and vertical alignment options, I have nailed down an extremely comfortable view for my eyes.

I just recently found, for example, that putting right screen +0.5 gives me an extremely relaxed view that seems to even improve my 3D perception. I guess my eyes arenā€™t same height on my face and my brain is adapted to seeing the world with the image from one eye from a position lower than the other (or maybe my headshape is affecting it some way ā€¦ it is hard to wrap my head around the reason +0.5 on one side would be better.)

This means with Pitool, one can actually get an even better view on Pimax headsets than other non-Pimax headsets. This has also made me even more confident that 8KX is the best choice.

The problem for new users however is with Pimax headsets the tuning of IPD is even more important.

So, some day in the future when we have eye tracking, Pimax should implement auto software IPD and vertical alignment and distortion adjustments.

5 Likes

I did have exactly the same thing! My left pupil is slightly higher then my right. When i did +0.5 on one side, the 3d depht got much better for me and no eyestrain

3 Likes