Received my 5K+ today

Problem is you can’t have bezel where the round part of the lens transitions to the flat.

Hey @TrevorVR , can you help me with getting ‚Lucky’s Tale‘ started?! I tried it and whether it didn’t start at all or stuttered with about 2 FPS… I tried starting it from PiTool and there was a notice, that some kind of Oculus runtime has to be be running… I couldn’t find out what this is. I got my Oculus app/program running, but it didn’t work out…

1 Like

Have you rebooted after installation?
For me it works from the Pitool, it automatically launches the necessary Oculus services/apps.
Rendering quality over 1.25 in Pitool seems to freeze the game, make sure it’s 1 or even less

2 Likes

Okay, that will be the issue… got 1.5 dialed in. Thank you for the help, I’ll try it tomorrow!:smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry this is really just nonsense. The Vive Pro doesn’t have any more bezel than the Pimax 5k+. Yet the Vive Pro is distortion free and I see tons of distortion on the 5k+

I just tried it again. It’s actually pretty much what I always see. When I keep looking at an object and then move my head around, the object morphs. So I now doubt again it’s any better with luckys

1 Like

There is more black area where the lens snaps in on the vive removing more of the edge of the Vive’s edge of lens on top bottom compared to the 5k/8k. It also has the outer edge away from the nose towards your ear where the pimax headset cannot obscure the round of the lens as it transitions to the flat lens. The edges of the Vive lenses where you’d get the geo distortion as another member mentioned with his glasses is more covered.

Sorry, this all has really nothing to do with the distortions that I’m seeing on my 5k+. They’re at normal FoV at about 25 and 75% of the screen (the part between 25% and 75% generally is ok). The whole world compresses in those outer edges. It’s not a very severe compression, maybe it’s somewhere in the 5-10% range that objects compress, but it’s visible enough to have an immersion breaking effect. Especially if you move your head around this gives a ‘wobbly’ effect. Several others have described this effect. But most don’t seem to notice it or really don’t even have it.

Sure it does mask 1mm to 2mm around the top edge & bottom. Warping will be reduced.

No. I’m saying 50% of my 5k+ screen is having this effect. No way this is masked with bezels on the vive pro. I’m pretty sure this effect is caused by the fact that the FoV is so wide. In which case you’d need dynamic distortion correction to fix it. Then again, I’d expect the Vive Pro to have this effect at least somewhat (since even on those smaller lenses, your irisis will have different positions in relation to the lens if you ‘look around’). But there’s really NONE on the vive pro, the world feels extremely ‘stable’, it’s not wobbly at all. So I’m still not 100% sure regarding its cause.

The effect does somewhat (very lightly) happen on my Odyssey+ too though.

2 Likes

Try masking the top & bottom. It will be reduced due to pitch of the rounded lens being bezeled. Far left & right on pimax can’t be bezeled due to lens design.

But yes as Xunshu said in her explanation of looking into using Eyetracking would help or eliminate lens distortion by adjusting distortion dynamically for eye angles etc.

1 Like

Verify that the basestations aren’t using the same channel (there’s s button on the back). The channel is shown on the front.

Your should be using B + C with two lighthouses.

3 Likes

I will eat my hat, if they ever implement the dynamic distortion correction.

2 Likes

I hope it’s not a sombrero. :beers::joy::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

If it’s made out of nachos, somberos would be preferable :laughing:

2 Likes

From my second-hand knowledge, you should have them set to A/B when you are using a sync cable and B/C when you aren’t using one.

3 Likes

Correct :wink:

|Without the sync cable|Press the Channel buttons at the back of the base stations so that one base station is set to channel ​“‍b”, while the other is set to channel ​“‍c”.|
| — | — |
|With the sync cable (optional for added reliability)|Press the Channel buttons at the back of the base stations so that one base station is set to channel ​“‍A”, while the other is set to channel ​“‍b”.|

I have two rooms for VR and have my 3 basestations set up as follows:

• Room Scale Room: Channels B + C
  • Seated Gaming Room: Channel A
4 Likes

…just a feedback, having my 5K+ for two days now. I’ve got still the best VR time of my life. The Pimax, lighthouses and controllers run without issues. Yesterday I installed Skyrim VR and I’m enjoying the hell out of it! Right now I’ve got it running with about 100 mods and it runs okay on my 1080 non TI, with PiTool 1.25 and 60% in SteamVR. I will go on with some mod installation, but it already looks gorgeous. Next thing I want to try out is AC with the Sol mod, so much to discover and so short on time …:sweat_smile:
As you will have noticed by now, I’m in VR heaven!!!:laughing:

6 Likes

Just in case, you should probably order this Edible Hat… :rofl:

https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Sugar-Decorated-Cowboy-Boot/dp/B079ZSP263

3 Likes

News… again!:laughing:

I just couldn’t hold myself back and bought a 11GB ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Aktiv.

So far so good, just played around four an hour or two. Skyrim VR runs stable at 90FPS with about 200 mods right now and looks so awesome. I put PiTool to 1.5 and SteamVR at only 34% percent, but with some headstrap adjustments it’s looks do crisp to me, so great! Seems strange to me, with this low SteamVR setting, but hey, what do I know…:sweat_smile:

I found out that the right position of the Pimax and the right IPD is sooo important. By the way, I read here at the forum to lower the IPD a bit, I did so (from my measured 66 to 64) and there is a big jump in clarity!

With my racing sims (AC and Raceroom) I have to look in a little bit deeper into setting and modes. It’s still a little bit laggy. Perhaps I want to much in game eye candy. I will find out and report back to you guys! Have a nice weekend!

PS: …by the way, no problems with the headset itself so far, works absolutely fine and no software issues, like finding tracking or whatsoever, just start Pitool, power on the headset and up to VR heaven!

4 Likes