PSVR 2 Officially announced

2 Likes

Interesting…
But with such lower res and not many video cards (powerful) with the necessary port, it’s an edge case at this point. AMD still has this port? well, my 6900XT GPU doesn’t have the port. I guess maybe 7900XTX doesn’t too(has USB, but I don’t think it’s ‘virtuallink’)? Neither does 3000 or 4000 series?

I mean, if you LOVE SONY, then buy the adapter I guess, or step down to a nVidia 2000 series.

Interesting vid tho…

1 Like

didn’t he say the latest amd cards have that port? i thought he did but could be wrong. he did say u could use an adapter for 3000/4000 cards but the adapter was “expensive”. they’d have alot of other things to sort out too like 6dof headtracking, eye tracking, and so on.

1 Like

https://www.xtal.pro/product/virtuallink-adapter

1 Like

Gigabyte 7900 has usb-c

1 Like

If Quest 2 outputs Virtual Link then why not attach that cable to the PSVR2 Virtual link cables with a cheap USB-C adapter. That way the Quest2 cable converts the signal back to USB C.

1 Like

Just because it has a USB-C port doesn’t mean it follows the Virtualink tech standards.
At least I didn’t see anything specific about it in the specs.

1 Like

No reason to have a usb-c on a video card if it isn’t. The video mentioned Amd cards and the 20series.

It is interesting as Sony playstation is Amd powered. So we might down the line see possibly official pc support after Sony is satisfied with the console sales.

Amd has put the usb-c there for a reason after from what you said your 6900 not having it.

Despite all the euphoria, I hope the “small print” was heard. :wink:

Otherwise, if anyone is looking for a 24Gb card with Virtual Link and 3080 power, let me know.
Oh yes, Custom Waterloop is required and the power supply unit should provide up to 400watts for the card. :joy:

Has some info om the usb-c port

1 Like

there are certainly many possibilities… that’s where professionals have to come in. sony should better offer the possibility itself.

4 Likes

Agreed it is odd Amd doesn’t offer much on the way of details on there main site. If I can get a hold of a friend will see if he has any details. He is on Amd’s advisory board.

1 Like

Wow i just finished resident evil village on the psvr2 what a blast i must say…
For me it surpasses my top game halflife alex on my highend pcvr setup…

I almost never finished a game but i couldnt stop.
The hapticks and rumble in the headset did at alot combined with the 3d audio in the pulse 3d headset…

The oled screens with deep blacks and hdr did also add something special in this game(even with the Mura,wich i hate lol)…

This was my number 1 Vr experience from all the games i played…Just wow !
And this that i even almost sold my psvr because off the mura and slight blurrines.

But the all in one package from the psvr2 can give you goosebumbs with such a game…Even with the shortcomings from the headset…

3 Likes

I also played now saints and sinners retribution on the psvr2 and also on my 8kx with a 4090… But somehow i like the psvr2 version more…Because off the blacks and hapticks and colors… It even runs better somehow??

People who have only a psvr2 will love this game on the psvr2 i think…

1 Like

After reading the mixed bag reviews in this thread here, my enthusiasm for the PSVR2 had been severely tempered. Actually I had the headset sitting at my local shipper for over a week before I even picked it up. Had been busy with other things but it does indicate that I didn’t expect much of it, although the last few comments by @john2910 of course made me somewhat curious.

I can now say I 100% agree to @john2910’s comments above, it’s just spot on!! Sure, the headset has its weaknesses, the mura is definitely the biggest one for me. In some scenes I barely see it, in other scenes it definitely takes some of the fun out. HOWEVER … RE on the PSVR2 indeed is simply THE best gaming experience I’ve ever head. Period. I used to think HL:A was the best game ever and it was at the time, but RE on the PSVR2 just beats it. The game is just so much fun and just like @john2910 said, the 3d effect on the PSVR2 is just awesome. In fact, I dare to say it’s better than any other headset out there. I’m also not sure why, but the 3d world just feels so much more convincing than on other headsets, you’re really there, in the game. The extremely beautiful and vibrant colors of course help, also the vibrating head haptics works surprisingly well, this was an awesome invention by sony, I’m sure other headset manufacturers will follow. But I think it has mostly something to do with the lenses. Sony really managed to create a convincing 3d world and in the end, that’s what it’s all about.

I’m not sure if it’s THE best headset for simmers. I’m not a simmer and I could surely understand if a simmer would take a headset with better image fidelity or more FoV over the PSVR2. But if you’re like me and thought that HL:A was the best game ever … oh boy, you’re in for a blast with RE on the PSVR2 !

Ah, one thing I’d like to comment on is the sweet spot. I can understand the criticism for sure, the sweet spot (in this case defined as the position of the lenses vs your eyes) is indeed very small. Once it’s off, it’s RGB madness. However it’s extremely easy to find, you move the headset up/down/left/right and the way the RGB madness changes it’s very easy to find the right position. It takes me less than 5 seconds and I’m in. And once you’ve found it, the image just looks good, all over the FoV. I was a bit afraid that only looking forward it looked good ,like in some other headsets, but that’s not the case. So for me, the small sweetspot isn’t really a problem at all.

6 Likes

Thx man,Glad you have the same experience as me…Yea resident evil was a blast!With amazing 3d… Its a pitty about the Mura but i am glad i kept the psvr2.

Indeed for simmers a higher fidelity vr headset would be better,i will see how the pimax crystal is when i beta test it…

By the way @Djonko the simple starwars game is realy a blast too because off the popping colors from the lasers in the dark scenes etc…

3 Likes

Haha I haven’t even tried any other game yet. RE is just so much fun and I haven’t even completed it, I’m actually still in the beginning. But it’s just so good already. I have very little free time these days, but already can’t wait to play some more RE. So happy I bought this headset, for me it’s just the best out there. I’d take the PSVR2 over my XTAL3, varjo VR3, aero, pimaxes, any day. Sure, all those headsets have some way(s) in which they beat the PSVR2, but the overall experience is just the best on the PSVR2. Ah, just like you said, something I also REALLY appreciate is the easy of use. Even with my XTAL I run into the same problems as with Pimax and that’s that it’s just buggy. Sometimes i start steamVR and I see nothing in the xtal, I need to restart the drivers, restart steam and then it works. Any Pimax user knows what i’m talking about :slight_smile: But the PSVR2 you just pick it up and play, I really like that too, especially if you’re short on time like me, you don’t want to spend time messing with drivers just to get things going.

Also the comfort is good, although I do experience some slight eye strain. the Aero is still the best headset in that regard. But nothing too bad.

Actually I feel like the PSVR2 is really the first headset I’d recommend to a random person. All the other headsets have some disadvantages in some way that makes me doubt a random person would really appreciate it. But with the PSVR2 it just feels like anybody would enjoy playing RE on it. Of course I do wish the mura would be less, but to me it’s definitely not a dealbreaker. I’d take mura over SDE (which I hate way more) any day.

4 Likes

You are in for a real threat… its gets better and better with a amazing final !Also its nice to know that if i am not mistaken Resident evil 4 will get the same vr threatment for the psvr2 !

4 Likes

I agree . I got the pimax xr oled and the Psvr2 and the Psvr2 is a better experience . I ran the test on the 4090 and 13900k
They need to update the Pimax XR OLED ( the refresh rate is only 82hz and the sde is way more than on the Psvr2 and it doesn’t get near as bright as the Psvr2 .
The fov was awesome though :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

lol i really dont get these,my whole experience is mostly mura that pulls me out every second and severe ghosting and sub atomic sweet spot?either mine is broken or maybe my vision is too good because i wouldnt ever choose psvr2 over the ancient 8kx on PC ever.

like go into hcotm and move with the stick to the left and right you think youre on shrooms with the amount of ghosting i get less ghosting from 10$ vr mods.

1 Like