PSVR 2 Officially announced

Hard to say. This Article talks about stacking as well for LG TVs

Ok, so if I’m getting that right; Rather than subpixels stacked on top of one another, you still have RGB subpixels next to one another, like on any other ordinary screen, but each of those subpixels have not a single monochromatic LED, but a set of R, G, and B LEDs (…or B and Y in older models, as described by Kevin earlier (in effect not much unlike any old LCD backlight - just emissive per-subpixel, rather than as backlight)), driven straight up in parallel, to produce compound white light, out of which the two produced but undesired primaries are then filtered out for each R, G, or B actual spatial subpixel.

Must say that sounds kind of wasteful to me, and I’m not sure I buy the longevity argument - those blues still have to produce the same amount of light, without being noteworthily larger in area (EDIT2: well, unless the LEDs are in fact pixel-size, rather than subpixel-size, in which case all three colour LEDs are three times the area - question in that case is how much of the light from the two thirds of the blue LED area that are not directly behind the blue filter finds its way over to- and through -it… I suppose maybe the red and blue layers may be offset relative to the pixel boundaries, so that each of the R, G, and B LEDs are centered under their respective filters), to spread the strain, but I can absolutely imagine it being easier to manufacture (EDIT: whole homogenous and regular layers).

1 Like

PSVR 2 shown off today by Sony:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1496107726291845120/photo/1

4 Likes

Leave it to Sony to nail it. Such an elegant and ergonomic design. Wouldn’t have expected anything less from them.

1 Like

Damn it! You beat me to it again🤣

2 Likes

those lenses look wider has a similar form like vp2 they arent aspheric right?

1 Like

I am the ultimate procrastinator. Literally at work lol.

1 Like

I am really hoping the are aspherical, like the PSVR1. I can’t see any fresnel rings but you usually can’t in promo photos anyway. I highly suspect their lenses are much better than HTC though, even if fresnel.

1 Like

anything is better than vp2 lenses,i know cause i had it but i did had like 115 hfov wich was ok i didnt had a 8kx at the time i tought it was huge.

1 Like

Edit: better video

1 Like

Hmm, is that face gasket a pleated boot instead of a foam pad? Interesting, if so.

1 Like

Kinda funny to see someone call the PSVR2 a slim design. It’s the same form factor that we’ve had for years. (with the bulkiest controllers ever)

1 Like

Its slim compared to the psvr.

Honestly it looks like a quest 2 with bobovr headstrap. (not quite as slim)

maybe they are confusing the word slim with sleek.

2 Likes

Yeah, sleek is definitely appropriate. I guess if you’re not keeping uptodate with VR then it may seem slim in comparison only to PSVR1 I guess.

2 Likes

Yes, every time I go to put on the PSVR it feels so bulky and obtuse.

Theres no doubt the psvr2 is slimmer.

Kind of like past vs current Jonah Hill.

1 Like

I still find Jonah Hill uncomfortable to put on.

The PSVR2 will have fresnel lenses. That has already been revealed.

However, Sony has also filed a patent for a method of eliminating god rays from fresnel lenses. The speculation is that the PSVR2 will be the first VR headset to employ this.

5 Likes

Ah yeah, you’re completely right! Thanks for that.

1 Like

and i snatched a ps5 at msrp because of this post,telegram bots are great

1 Like

wonder if we can use it on PC tough thatl be great im sure some moder will make a driver

1 Like