PSVR 2 Officially announced

Yes, right now pc devs want to target quest because thats where the money is.

But with psvr 2 being as powetful as a pc, they will want to target that, which means that they will likely target pc & psvr 2.

2 Likes

The closer the hardware the greater the incentive for cross platform development, as well, consoles being closed system PCs, the closer they get to pc hardware, the cheaper the cost of higher end components should get.

1 Like

Hopefully developers will develop for both PC and PSVR but historically Sony has been all about exclusives although they have started to open up these past few years. Though with Facebook buying up exclusives left and right I still worry Sony will follow suit and once again PCVR will be left with nothing.

2 Likes

At CES I talked to some sony engineers and they said they have essentially solved the OLED refresh rate issues and actually can finally achieve near absolute blacks at the highest refresh rates. This issue combined with the lower gamut OLED’s have are what has held it back in the XR space.

I imagine it also has a wider gamut than previous iterations as well so this very likely addresses the drawbacks seen in older panels.

I’m quite excited to see this in action!

7 Likes

Sounds exciting indeed!

However (always scanning for the fine print :P); Did they also say whether they can now ramp up smoothly all the way from that absolute black, without an unproportionately large jump between #000000 and #010101? :7

What is the gamut you speak of, by the way? I guess it can’t be colour gamut, given the one thing OLED is most know for, is its large colour space, relative to pre-QD LCD.

1 Like

I thought the gamut sounded weird, but now I’m wondering is it just contrast that OLED is so well known for and colour gamut isn’t always great? I always thought the colour gamut was excellent on OLED as well as contrast, but could be totally wrong.

1 Like

Yeah color gamut on oled is far less than qled as is it’s overall brightness. Even the latest oleds produce far lower palette than even top end lcd’s. OLED is known on tv’s for epic viewing angle and absolute black capability. The absolute blacks allow the colors that are produced to really “POP” but the number of colors possible is low because it has to pass through a color filter that reduces brightness.

2 Likes

Ah, you’re comparing to qled. That makes more sense now, I think myself and jojon were thinking compared to current headset standard LCD screens.

2 Likes

Heck even compared to top end LCD’s (best examples on the latest TV’s) it’s not as good on the spectrum. BTW there is a version of OLED called QD-OLED that incorporates all of the advantages of BOTH.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I think I saw a recent LTT video about that and he was losing his mind over it. Guessing we won’t see that in headsets anytime soon though haha.

1 Like

Err. What the heck…?! I thought I was replying to a post by another user, and it turns out I instead edited their post somehow… Ok… Let’s see if I can restore things… Here’s the thing as an actual reply, to begin with, hopefully… (EDIT: @Heliosurge Has something gone wrong with a forum software update, maybe, or just with user privileges specifically? -I now seem to have an: “Edit” popup when selecting text, next to the ususal: “Quote”. (EDIT2: Umm, maybe I shouldn’t draw attention to the matter, if some mishap suddenly has made the forum free-for-all…? -Ah, what the heck - you are usually quick on the draw. :7))

There we go: “QLED”, “top end”; Fairly recent products, that are by no means most LCDs so far (…and I am not aware of any in a VR headset, other than what has been announced for the future p12k) – a qualifier worth including from the get-go, IMHO.

While there are no doubt many different technical-, and production -solutions, the colour filter thing is what you have with every LCD and its white backlight; Whereas as far as I know, a basic OLED at least used to only produce the one colour it is built to - maybe those have been widely supplanted by hybrid variants, I don’t know.

The absolute colour gamut, should not have anything to do with brightness, but with the “purity” of the primary colours; If anything, an additional colour filter on top of a monochromatic-ish OLED should further refine the already narrow peak to an even narrower range of wavelengths (even if darker, with inherently less brightness range, and inherently again less contrast, providing that perceived “pop”), for even better saturated R, G, and B.

That is what the QD phosphors do for the backlight, and what QD filters does for the colour mask: Don’t produce any wasteful yellow or cyan light - only narrow peaks at the desired RGB wavelengths, and only let light at these peaks through the filter.

A white OLED with colour filter, on the other hand, would of course suffer the exact same issues as any old LCD, including “throwing away” all the “wrong colour” light that is excluded by the filter, and the filter leaking a wider range of wavelengths than it should.

Yeah, OLEDs may not be the most energy efficient things, nor the best for longevity – let’s see if we ever get to see any on-silicon LED matrix displays with QD phosphors, and if those go anywhere…

1 Like

You have a leader level. It seems with the update there is a “Quote/Edit” when selecting text. I was wondering about that. Now I know what it is thanks. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles:

It absolutely does actually. It’s interesting how little consumers actually know about how OLED designs typically work. They typically produce only actually blue and yellow light to create white and pass through a color filter membrane that achieves the color elements R,G and B. The absorbsion capability of the membrane is quite a limitation and has all sorts of interesting effects that contribute to some of the limitations. While in an off state they produce blacks but to produce white they typically can only get “close” to perfect white so that is also an issue. The structure of the electronic pattern is RGBW, not RGB. If you go pure RGB on an OLED your brightness is extremely low.

Mostly as a result of the discreet white element the maximum brightness directly affects how wide the spectrum of colors you can produce because this method blows out the colors at the top. This is a major reason the overall producible spectrum is so low. (that and that you have to correct for non perfect whites among other issues.)

The best that has been achieved is around 75% of DCI-P3 for these displays.

4 Likes

I would add that Sony has very likely taken the design to the next level with various improvements that revolve around VR. The biggest issue is you can’t totally drop power to an oled in vr, they seem to have solved this.

As a result I would speculate this is literally a custom built oled panel specifically designed for VR applications.

2 Likes

Aha, so in a way not entirely unlike a regular white LED, then, which emits ultraviolet-to-blue, which excites a deposited yellow phosphor…

I thought the RGBW was something only LG does - maybe others have since adopted the practice…

75%… Still outperforming regular old (pre QD backlighting) LCD enough that people used to complain about oversaturation, watching content “mastered” for LCD, before colour profiles were (presumably) at long last implemented.

If you want start to imply things about the colour gamut and dynamic range of the displays in the p12k (I for one am stoked about HDR if coming headsets can provide it well); Then just do that, explicitly, and preferrably with verifiable data - trying to be sneaky about it just makes you look sneaky. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The ability to edit other posters’ text is certainly problematic… Especially with somebody like me, who have this dumb habit of sweping the mouse pointer back and forth across the screen whilst reading, randomly selecting and deselecting text – sooner or later an accidental click is going to cause something bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah not sure why they put that silly imho shortcut. Will look into to see if it can be disabled.

EDiT - Found and Disabled Fast Edit (FiXeD)

2 Likes

please… Just stating the facts and mechanics for those who might be interested. Bizarre that you would do handstands, flips and cartwheels to arrive at that.

Just seems to be confusion in pixel layouts. I believe he means WRGB and not RGBW.

RGBW did indeed give LG a lot of flack with there “Fake 4k TVs” as ppl called it as 25% of the resolution was white sub pixels.

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/pixel-structure-televisions.html

Hmm, never heard of there being any actual manufactured screens with subpixels stacked on top of one another, instead of over area (EDIT: projectors with sequential colour is another matter of course)… and in such a scenario, the point of a colour filter on top is kind of lost on me - seems to me if it were to refine anything, it kind of would need to have a comb characteristic, to let through only the three primary colours from the RGB LEDs and nothing in between (presumably a difficult thing to produce), but were it to do that, it would eat a significant amount of the brightness added by the white LED…

…or the way the article words the matter does not jibe with my poor reading comprehension.

1 Like