Potential Performance issues @ Min Spec?

need to figure out solid load numbers. need to nibble at heels of new tester until they tell us and also tell us if they created their internet moniker before or after the urban dictionary article was created.

1 Like

thanks for trying though

2 Likes

I have a 1080ti, but I can only put 1.7 SS in openvr advanced settings…(which is 170% only) without stuttering… what reprojection settings you have on? I leave “always on reprojection” and “asynchronous reprojection” on, always.

1 Like

is open vr’s advanced settings multiplying on top of a steam value?

1 Like

I think but I keep the steamvr SS on 100% so it doesn’t affect it (think what I said about changing SS on openvr specifically makes no difference lol)

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Linux Gaming & VR

quietly hopes this is an issue with the program and not anything in unreal engine. XD

Im very curious what games besides The Lab you can run on super sampling 3 or higher with your 1080Ti, as my 1080Ti @2.1Ghz, i7 8700K @4.9 and 32Gb DDR4 4000Mhz can barely keep up at SS 2.0-2.5 in most of todays VR games (Im not talking about cheap Unity asset flips).
Of course its playable but reprojection is very apparent and nothing I prefer. Also, remember that Advanced settings doesnt always properly report reprojection if Asynchronous reprojection is enabled. Sometimes it says 0 reprojected frames while hands are a stuttery mess :wink:

2 Likes

i have a 1080ti but still hope that there will be some kind of reprojection so you only need 40fps for “smooth” gameplay

1 Like

It seems no one noticed the double wrong calculation.

1. Its wrong to compare resolution on both eyes (pimax) with resolution each eye (vive).
  2. 2560x1440x2=7,3 Mio Pixel, not 17,4 Mio.

Instead of totally wrong assumptions here an example for logical and good assumptions: http://community.openmr.ai/t/potential-performance-issues-min-spec/6597/3?u=kellerbach

It is the steam global value - just another place to modify it.

2 Likes

Hey Sweviver. I noticed you have a pretty hard-core PC there my friend.

May I qiickly ask, do you find 4000Mhz 32GB ram has measurable performance benefits in VR, say compared to 3000Mhz 16GB ram? E.g. do any of your own experiments spot a few FPS increase or a smoother experience maybe?

I ask as I need to build a new PC for my hopefully eventually launched, 8K-X but every article I find claims anything over 16GB ram is pointless!

I wondered, however, if when looking at VR snd total ram capacity/ram speed specifically if actually, things begin to change Vs normal gaming use on a single 4K monitor and more ram CAN benefit us?

If so maybe it’s now 64GB ram that’s overkill for VR and not 32GB?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t ask me, but my understanding is that 16GB ram is plenty, for today’s games; the RAM speed will have an effect, albeit a fairly small one. You are better off spending for a better CPU and/or GPU. I’d suggest buying the RAM as 2 sticks, so that you can later fill the empty RAM slots, if you decide it would be helpful.

5 Likes

if you plan on doing 3d sculpting in say oculus medium you will want that 32

2 Likes

Now if you want something interesting. My old system had 16g ddr3 1333 ram in 4 sticks. When I replaced it with 2 8g sticks at 1866? My 3dmark score dropped some & yes it was in proper dual channel mode. I am thinking this might have had to do with 4 sticks vs 2 to have 16g. Lol

2 Likes

And if you are interested in photogrammetry, e.g. in order to recreate your favourite place, your childrens rooms, etc. as virtual places in your PC to visit for trips down memory lane, then you may even want to consider 64 GB if you do not mind the extra spend…

2 Likes

There are a few games that gain from fast RAM, mainly high-CPU demanding games like Fallout 4 (VR and non VR). A switch from 2666Mhz to 3600Mhz could give u almost 10fps more according to some benchmarks. But 99% of the time, no the RAM memory is not that important. The cas latency is more important though. I run mine in CL16 3600Mhz atm which is better in benchmarks than default CL19 4000Mhz.

For pure VR gaming I think 16Gb should be more than enough. Not even the most complex simulators with high pre-loading uses more than 10-12GB RAM.
I have 32GB mainly because I do video editing. 32 is actually not really enough for more complex projects in Adobe Premiere Pro. Most video editors use 64 or even 128. I have had loads of Premiere Pro crashes because of lack of RAM (Adobe was using it all after a while).

If u dont edit, dont do 3d modelling or even record your gameplay, dont waste your money. Keep playing with 16Gb and save up for next GPU :wink:

9 Likes

Pimax he broke NDA. If you don’t take him away from his toy I will not play with you in the sand anymore!

1 Like

I primarily play Rec Room and Tilt Brush in addition to The Lab experiences… I’m sure that factors in. Rec Room is incredible quality, and the graphics are simple (meaning simple meshes). Not sure how Tilt Brush stacks up compared to other VR applications, since it is very different in nature and scenes can contain thousands of pieces.

I’m now realizing that the majority of users play other games, but I personally find myself drawn to the three I mentioned because they exude in what I think a proper VR experience should be (I’ve only tried a couple dozen games so I know there is more for me to explore). I haven’t played racing sims because I don’t have a setup for that, I’m not really drawn to the current VR shooters out there (that I’ve seen), and games like Fallout 4 VR or Skyrim VR don’t feel like anything more than a camera locomotively moving around with cheaply integrated interaction with the game world.

So I guess if you have a 1080ti and play the kind of games I play, you should be able to raise the SS even when you get the Pimax 8k :smiley: .

I have a ~2ghz 1080ti, Ryzen 1700x modestly overclocked on water, and DDR4 16GB @ 2666mhz (slightly underclocked because my PC would restart at 3000mhz).

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, and an honest one too. I’ll take on board your suggestions and save for the best GPU possible with fast ram a certainty but huge amounts only a fantasy. Thank you.

1 Like