Potential Performance issues @ Min Spec?

If you have an nVidia card, try setting the control panel VSync setting to “Fast”, which will give you the fastest framerate possible, with no tearing.

1 Like

shall have a look tonight when home from work. thanks

2 Likes

In the ASP can you see through the side windows with that FOV?

2 Likes

about 1/2 of both sides, but if you want to see a video i did while flying my Anacondas fighter on a planet… have a look here : Just messing with 3 screen recording Elite Dangerous - YouTube

Eno

1 Like

Yes, and then some. The stretching is huge though. Currently, I’m using 70°, which is larger than the in-game GUI will give you and gives a pleasing view in my AspX.

Here’s a shot of FoV = 150° at 4K (2160p), which simulates a one-eye view of the Pimax 8KX. The text should be similar to what is displayed on an 8KX. The text quality is greatly improved, if you can use super-sampling of 2.0+.

2 Likes

Now thats a view! It’s the first thing I’ll be trying on the 8K :slight_smile:

1 Like

An actual 8K will provide an even wider 200° FoV. This shot represents one eye, at 150°. On an 8K, there’s a 100° overlap between both eyes and 50° of additional image to the left and right. This image IS representative of the vertical FoV.

It should look AWESOME!

To get a better feel as to what it will be like on an 8K, zoom the image to full screen, then lean forward until your nose is only a few cm from the center of the screen and it fills your view.

3 Likes

Wow ! That was sweet!

2 Likes

Cant say too much unfortunately, but if you have a GTX 1070 or slower, then yes I would recommend you to upgrade. As a reference, on the Samsung Odyssey there are some games where my 1080Ti is struggling already, especially simulators.

Also, this has been discussed a lot of times before and this is no secret or covered by NDA: You can clearly see in the Pimax 8K trailer videos that the headset is 200 degrees FOV diagonally.

You also need to remember that the 8K headset input signal specifications are full 2560x1440p per eye, which none of the other headsets comes close to (1600x1440p)

6 Likes

Oh will absolutely be upgrading come the 11 series , but I’m never going to be running top games without some kind of reprojection or brainwarp in either case.

1 Like

And that’s why I’m waiting to upgrade. According to rumors, the 1180 appears to be a small step up from the 1080Ti, in terms of performance, but it will use noticeably less power. The predictions are that the 1180Ti will be ~40% faster than a 1080Ti, so that’s what I’m planning to wait for, before I upgrade.

3 Likes

Would that mean that an 1180Ti should come in at around the level of a TitanV? I’m getting pretty annoyed with my TitanXp reprojecting when using a Vive Pro so I’m THAT close to hitting the order button on the V…

Just like you I intend to hold on to my 980Ti until the 1180Ti is available. Although the 8K surely is argument enough for this approach, in my case I have to add that I pledged for the 8K(X) too, so if I don’t own the 1180Ti at the time I don’t even need to bother connecting the 8K(X) to my PC… (though I fear that I will likely go back to the 8K soon thereafter because even the 1180Ti’s performance will probably just not be good enough to run Elite, etc. even in rather modest settings on the 8K(X) - if you compare the two at SS1.0, you go from 11,5M to 26M pixels :fearful:).

Buying the 1180 would only be an interim step which would likely result in a 200-300 € loss for the 8 months of use, when reselling it as soon as the 1180Ti comes along.

If NVidia had only released the 1180 now, then it all might have come together in an acceptable time-frame. But if I already have my 8K for say 2-3 months by the time they release the 1180, and you have to expect another 6-10 months until the Ti version releases… uhh… I just hope I will be able to enjoy the games with the 980Ti to some extent… otherwise there will be no holding me back…

3 Likes

I don’t know if its worth to buy the TitanV. Depends on pricing I guess.

2 Likes

It’s all speculation right now. It seems that nVidia is under no pressure to increase their GPU capabilities. AMD and Intel aren’t serious competition. It’s very frustrating to those of us with a need for more GPU power. The wait reminds me of another hardware vendor… :rolling_eyes:

5 Likes

The first version of the 1180Ti probably isn’t the one I want anyway. I’d like a enthusiast overclocked version with triple fans, so that will likely add another couple of months to the wait.

I too am hoping that I can live with low-quality graphic settings, until the GPU I want becomes available.

6 Likes

I’m holding out for 1170 going by leaked specs. until then i will happily lower my quality settings in more demanding games/ endure a little re-projection, especially oculus style reprojection.

And this is not even accounting for brainwarp, which is not even on the M1. If brainwarp works as claimed, and you can warp 60 to 120, then that would instantly add on another 20 percent performance. And i will happily lean on all those crutches until 1170 arrives.

2 Likes

What if devs just do supersampling on text and bake the result in a 1.0 ss overall image. The GPU load would be normal and text would be incredibly much clearer with very little extra demand, right?

5 Likes

That is a brilliant and simple idea! At least allow the Devs to flag the textures that make up text in Unity/Unreal so they can use much higher res textures (that get downsampled) just for the bits that need to be clear. Actual font text (not texture maps) get rasterized by the game engine too so it might not be difficult to allow user control of that.

4 Likes

What if ya’ll don’t have to delay anything because by the time we receive our headsets, all those cards would’ve already been released :joy:?

1 Like