Possible direct comparison of blue case vs black case Artisan FOV!

If you have seen my other posts on here you might remember that I ended up ordering 2 Artisans from Aliexpress because the first one got stuck in Shanghai. The first one was a black case version and the second that I have already received was a blue case version. Anyway, 2 months after ordering the black case version seems to have landed in the UK!!

I was disappointed by the fov of my blue case version as I was led to believe that the Artisan had a fov very close to the ‘normal’ fov of the other Pimax headsets and there was nothing to suggest that this was not the case, including reviews from MRTV - but this and all the other early reviews where made using the black case version.

Now, it looks like I’m going to have the option of opening the black case version and test it side by side with the blue case version. But if I do that I will have to buy it from Aliexpress (again, as they have already giving me the refund) and then sell it (or at least one of the headsets) on ebay for less. If I don’t open it I can either send it back or more likely sell it on ebay but as ‘New’ and with a clear conscience give Aliexpress (or the company I bought from on there) the amount i get (which i expect will be very close to the new price if not more.

The question is, is it worth doing this test? How much real information do we have to suspect that the FOVs might be different? Anyone any thoughts?

3 Likes

Does the blue case version utilize the comfort kit? Perhaps that is whats causing the discrepancy. I can’t imagine why the two would have different FOVs otherwise, they should be the same…

This being said, I am very curious to know if all future Pimax HMDs going forward are now utilizing the blue case, given that the Artisan is not a part of the Vision series to my knowledge.

4 Likes

The blue case version does use the comfort kit but I’ve taken the foam off and am using much thiner smaller pieces of foam (cut from spare thin vive foam) to give a maximum possible perceived fov (with my eyes as close as they can get to the lenses while being able to maintain focus). I say ‘perceived’ fov because this definitely increases the angle you are looking at and pushes the distortion further out and makes it less distracting but very interestingly the ROV test gives exactly the same result - so rather than being able to see more, it must just stretch it in some way (but I can’t detect any stretching type distortion)!

3 Likes

I believe @Ludiks has the black case version. He could likely post his hmdq results on Normal FoV at 90 and 120

2 Likes

@Ludiks - That would be great if you could. Could you do the RealorVirtual test if you have it - with my blue case headset I get 121 degrees horizontally (regardless of whether I use the comfort kit foam or thiner foam).

2 Likes

I think besides the foam, and the headatrap there will be little difference, most seems to come from physiognomy and the compatability of that to the given “mounting” to our faces. For some A is good for some B and for some none.
I belive there is no difference due to the change of housing inclinig other technical changes - unless I missed that (totally possible).

3 Likes

User @Mlkconcept said he got 130-ish on his new Artisan. I’m not sure what color Artisan that is? Also did you try risa’s tool yet, @Mlkconcept?

Also @lloyd709 did you test your current artisan on the latest pitools (260)? I wonder if that also still only yields 121 horizontally FoV? Or in other words, I wonder if it’s a software issue or a hardware issue.

Also @SweViver promised to look into the Artisan FoV issue, so will be interesting too what he finds

3 Likes

I briefly tried 260 but seemed to have more problems recognising the headset so changed back to 259. I didn’t re-test the the fov though for the brief time I was using 260 but certainly didn’t notice any improvement. I’ll try and re-test tonight using 260 but I don’t expect to see a difference.

3 Likes

So is that due to the fact that the face is in a different location depending on the mounting option from face to the HMD or changes in the device?
My 5k+ with the strap and the old “face foam” sits differently then the 8K+ does with the “comfort” version. Depending on how I fit the HMD to my face I get different FOV values in the HMD and they also seem to differ to what others get - which I guess is the differences in our face/eye to display fitting.

2 Likes

Yup, I’m sure that is the case but I’d like to find out for sure if there are any bigger differences at play because the artisan is advertised as 140 degrees fov and lots of sources said it was the same (or very slightly less) than ‘normal’ on a standard Pimax when it was first released. Then suddenly, coincidently with the release of the blue version (given with the comfort kit) people (including myself) are surprised that now it’s now assumed to have the same as the ‘small’ fov of the other headsets but no one can confirm for sure. It would be great if someone with a black version could give the fov from the ROV test as with the comfort kit removed from from the blue version I still only get 121 degrees.

3 Likes

No, these values are coming from Risa’s tool, so these are what’s being actually rendered. I also confirmed the 121 degrees FoV in ROV tool by the way.

2 Likes

Ok sorry, now I get it.
Since I got the 5k+, the 8K+ and the X it did not pay as much attention to the Artisan, besides being happy that Pimax mad a smart positioned product.
But I also thought it had its large FOV just slightly below the normal of the other HMD’s (5K,8K,…).

2 Likes

Ok, I just used the ROV test with the pedals and always manage plus 180+ degrees with the 5k and the 8k+.
But that might be worth a check with Risa’s tool that I wanted to do long ago.
If the rendering is actually at 121, that could mean it’s due to a PiTool Version thing or also IPD related (?) if it should do more in theory.
What IPD do you have (or the other FOV getters )?
EDIT NOT 180 - sorry its 170+

You’re getting 180 degrees horizontally in ROV’s tool? My pimax 5k+ only has 160 horizontally, both in risa’s tool as in ROV. Here’s Risa’s online DB, it also states 160: HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.

4 Likes

I will check again tonight, but i am quite sure when I use large, take those “red paddles” and hold them they pretty much align on a straight line on the 180° 170mark. Its a theoretical value, as I find that to be the outer most value at which I would not get much info out of a game comfortably. Also I did press the HMD in my face as much as possible, more an my nose will be coming out the front again :wink: . But its definitely more then the 160.
I do have a small IPD at about 62 measured and dial in the lowest in the 8k+ and very low in the 5k.

3 Likes

Ok, I tested it again - and no I am not am 180 :frowning: sorry I was damn sure of it.

I get about max 172° using the largest FOV, Staring at the red dot on the floor (not the green one straight ahead), because I can see the lines of the degrees better that way, it might make up for the 2° extra.
At that value I can just still see the blue (not red sorry) shimmer of the paddles at the very edge of the screen.

2 Likes

That’s odd. Can you post the output of Risa’s tool? https://github.com/risa2000/hmdq/releases/download/v2.0.1/hmdq_tools-2.0.1-win64.zip
Just start SteamVR and run the tool from a commandline

1 Like

Most likely I am to stupid to use it right. I do jump on the middle of that circle, but If I do move my head a bit, that would falsify that value.
I will run the tool now - that just be the real value and will most likely be on par with yours… would be strange if the rendering is different.

1 Like

ah, you’re using the non-commerical version? Yeah that’s not accurate since you can move your head indeed. That explains it then indeed

4 Likes

Yes that must be the reason. Rendering is rendering and I just ran the tool - its at 160.29 degrees.

The error sits before the screen once again - sorry. As my science teacher always said, don’t believe anything you hear and only have of what you see with your own eyes.

5 Likes