Possible direct comparison of blue case vs black case Artisan FOV!

Haha no worries, thanks for checking!

1 Like

Thats the very least :slight_smile:
I dint even see there is a commercial version since I got it quite early and never thought about it again.

1 Like

Yeah the commercial version (I think itā€™s $3), freezes the PoV so you canā€™t move. It works really well and is a nice way to see how it holds up against risaā€™s values (in general about the same, for some headset a bit smaller)

2 Likes

Itā€™s worth the 3$ and also as a thanks for the tool, thanks for the note, will get it!

Edit: (Both links one place)
as is also Risa 2000ā€™ s
https://github.com/risa2000/hmdq/releases/download/v2.0.1/hmdq_tools-2.0.1-win64.zip
Knob2001ā€™s

4 Likes

Yes, 132 on ROV test and 131.2 on risa2000 test;

ā€œfov_totā€: {
ā€œfov_horā€: 131.19010981777052,
ā€œfov_verā€: 102.96208463689638,
ā€œfov_diagā€: 130.64641180896032,
ā€œoverlapā€: 86.78584768977186

Not the 140 advertised but very good FOV for the price, good materials, good headset over all

4 Likes

Thanks for running the test! And is your Artisan blue or black?

4 Likes

The blue one, Quorra and Sweviver said that the fov should be the same. If some unit has only 120 the user should ask for RMA

3 Likes

At least one batch was sent out with 121. Weird stuff

2 Likes

Well it looks like Iā€™m going to have to open the black version of the headset when it arrives and test it - this is probably going to cost me Ā£100 though (the difference between selling it un-opened and opened!)

2 Likes

Strange though. Even if panels were setup wrong. The poke test should still give the same results in render requests.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance but what is the risa2000 test - I only know the ROV test?

Hmdq it is a commandline tool that pulls the info from SteamVR as to what is requested to render. I believe he has added Oculus support.

Sorry Hellosurge but I donā€™t get anything when I google hmdq - can you expand.

Indeed he did! :wink:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s really weirdā€¦ :wink: I get a link to the github page, first hit :slight_smile:

[hmdq] is a main tool, which connects to a VR subsystem and collects all available data about the connected devices (tracked devices in OpenVR world, headsets, trackers and controllers in Oculus world).

It can either display the info in the console, or save all the collected information plus some additional calculated data to a file in JSON format.

One needs to have either OpenVR or Oculus runtime plus the corresponding hardware installed and connected to use the tool.

1 Like

https://github.com/risa2000/hmdq. It is a command line tool to get some basic (and less basic) data about a headset rendering geometry from the headset. Can be used on SteamVR headsets and now also on Oculus headsets.

4 Likes

Thanks - I typed ā€˜hmdq vr fov testā€™ into google which didnā€™t get me much!!

2 Likes

Any luck testing the blue vs black units? Iā€™m looking to get an Artisan, donā€™t really want to mess around with an RMA for some reduced-FOV issue.

Apologies for delay replying - Iā€™ve been off the forums for a few days!

The black version arrived this morning and it had exactly the same FOV as my blue case version (122 degrees). I used the ROV test (the version that you have to purchase). However, the headset came packaged with a comfort kit which I believe has only recently started to happen so although it was a black version itā€™s relatively recent. I think most of the early reviewers (the ones that were indicating a larger fov) didnā€™t get a comfort kit with the headset. So Iā€™m afraid itā€™s not entirely wrapped up.

What I also found out though was that there is indeed a problem with my blue case version in acquiring tracking. It can take anywhere between a minute and not happen at all without a re-boot (on average about 3 minutes). The black case version consistently acquired tracking straight away. I expect this is probably a problem with my particular one though. It gives me a headache now though as I received a refund for the black case version (because it took 2 months to arrive) but now clearly this is the one I want to keep but canā€™t sell the blue case one knowing itā€™s not 100% - I was going to sell the black case one and give the money to the company on Aliexpress I bought it from. It might get complicated now!

2 Likes

Yeah I had that same issue with my blue case Artisan. Needed to fiddle quite a bit each time to get the tracking going (restart service mostly)

1 Like