Possibility of future 8K -> 8KX upgrade kit

Long time ago, it was mentioned that one day there might be option to swap board + cable to upgrade 8K to 8KX. Is this completely out of consideration now, or is this still a possibility?

4 Likes

It’s still a possibility, but at this point, it looks very unlikely to me. In particular, opening the headset appears to be difficult, based on the 1 partial teardown image I’ve seen (somewhere on this forum).

2 Likes

Personally I’d like to see them do a factory upgrade program if a diy kit isn’t a possibility due to the complexity of the upgrade.

1 Like

If we take the requests in the past to provide an option to bypass the scaler in the 4k as a yardstick, we can only hope. Although the technical challenges for the 8k might be easier(?), it probably also comes down to bandwith, hardware limitations and most of all economical incentives.

Well if not upgrade, Pimax has promised the backers some exlusive discounts on future products.

3 Likes

Remember what was the discount made by Oculus to their backers when the Rift CV1 was released ?

I dont know, I bought my DK1 directly from the Oculus, wasn’t a backer. But I’m guessing… not much?

Oculus Rift CV1 FOR FREE to backers:

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/005/149/316/24010f9d5e238884d303ccee942a4d12_h264_high.mp4

2 Likes

I know.
I’m happy if Pimax gives another 100-200€$ coupon for a new headset though.

1 Like

Cool. In dreams we live.

2 Likes

If they didn’t do that for Pimax 4K owners, I can’t imagine they’ll do that with the 8K. The 4K never lived up to the promises and had some serious technical faults.

They have promised so.
Yes, I’m very naive.

3 Likes

I think this is a brilliant idea and given the modular nature of the design of the Pimax headset, not unreasonable.

The Panels are already there and capable, what is missing is the need to bypass the scaler chip and also change the cable interface to something that can handle the bandwidth. Those cable technologies are pretty much here in both DisplayPort and HDMI configurations.

Maybe a return to an authorized service center and an upgrade charge for the work and parts. I would pay for it.

This model could be provided for further upgrades down the track, like 8K per eye panels but it might take a few years for GPU’s to drive them. With eye-tracking though, an 8K panel per eye would remove screendoor effect and reduce the GPU load requirements.

This would be a great path for Pimax to embark upon and keep the cost of good VR reasonable for their clients.

2 Likes

If memory servers, other members here pointed out that DP 1.4 hasn’t got enough bandwidth for 2x4k@90hz. Maybe lower frequency with brainwarp could be sufficient though. If not much more hardware modding would be necessary.

1 Like

Indeed 8kx comes with 2 display port cables and 2 bridge chips. People wont be able to mod it, imho. But a step up programm or discounts are possible, however i dont think they will push it to mass production this year.

4 Likes

I think by the time they go to production HDMI / DP tech will be there to give a single cable layout for the 8KX headset.

Would be good to hold off on the 8K to 8KX upgrade kits until a good package can be delivered even the inclusion of HDR panels.

I’m sure till then we will all get a lot of love out of our current 8K headsets ))

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with being an optimist :slight_smile:. To add a grain of salt as usual, with my limited VR hardware knowledge I can’t think of any VR upgrade kit except for accessories or modules by any company. The coupon option is much more likely.

2 Likes

HDMI 2.1, which is going mainstream this year, will be able too handle the bandwidth… Up to 10k @ 120fps so 2 4k panels at 90 should be ok

EDIT: Seems 8k is only 60 fps. 4k is 120 so even that wouldn’t be enough

2 Likes

I’m quite sure there won’t be any “upgrade kits”
Like Neal said and @Sjef showed us, the Pimax unit is not that easy to dissassemble.

They could however offer an upgrade program, such as switch your old unit with some $$$/€€€ to a new model.
They could always refurbish the used headset and use it as a guarantee replacement.

Edit. @Sean.Huang

4 Likes

The Future is unwritten & most are speculating. We just need to wait & see what comes.

The Team did say maybe. But has said backers will have incentives.

2 Likes