Possibility of future 8K -> 8KX upgrade kit

Bypassing the scaler will not be effective as you need 2 bridge chips for 4k/eye with 2 DP cables.

2 Likes

New mainboard required. Bypass the scaler & you have what is inside the 5k. As said the 8k-X has 2 bridgechips as a sungle bridgechip can only power 1 4k screen. You need 2 bridgechips & 2 Display cables to drive it. The scaler allows 1 dp cable to power dual 4k screens.

3 Likes

At current tech, yes. Half a year or more - no.

This I think is a more mid term request rather than have to have it now.

Truthfully I think @Lillo has the right idea on direction with Fiber to fix the bandwidth issues.

1 Like

Even if they sell only the motherboard, the intricacy of the HMD makes the upgrade REALLY moot.

Also, it would void the warranty.

So i can see two scenarios:

1 - You send your HMD BACK to be retrofitted and upgraded (or switched entirely)
2 - You have a discount on a new 8K-X

Either way, i will get one asap.

Hopefully till there we will have a nice and stable Pimax tool driving the HMD at Large FOV with some sort of ASW/Smoothing.

6 Likes

But those specifications would be for monitor 8K, so 4 times the pixels of a 4K screen, whereas Pimax 8K is only double as they are counting the horizontal resolution only.
So theoretically HDMI 2.1 should be able to do an 8KX headset at 120hz with one cable

3 Likes

Of course don’t know why I didn’t realise that!

1 Like

The pimax names are certainly liable for causing that sort of problem. I’m not one of the people who would say the pimax ‘8K’ is false advertising, but its definitely not the normal 8K one wouild think of, so can easily cause confusion.

Every day I kick myself for not backing this way back when. You guys have so much to look forward to.

3 Likes

Yes this has been quite a tormenting experience so far.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to when we can have 8k per eye or even 16K per eye with 360 FOV… render it in the back of my head.

3 Likes