Poll: Better lenses for future headsets

I was reading back on the development timeline of the 8K and I came across this old post which shows that Pimax can make some lenses which magnify less with less distortion effect, so it’s possible for a 8KX Generation 2 to be made with even better lenses.

Currently the 8KX has more SDE than the Reverb G2, even though the reverb has less pixels, or the same amount vertically. Why is that? Because the 8KX uses lenses which magnify more since the lenses do not move with the displays, and the magnification hides the “hidden area mask” area in an invisible area.

What is hidden area mask I hear you asking? It’s really just hidden parts of the display not being rendered to, even at large fov mode the whole panel is never used because some space needs to be saved for the fact the lenses don’t move with the displays when the hardware ipd is changed, and the render moves where the lenses move.

It means Pimax headsets could get even more panel utilisation by having lenses which move with displays and not need the hidden area mask at all, especially with possibly 70% more powerful MCM graphics cards coming soon.

Here are the links to the old posts I found showing that Pimax can actually make lenses which magnify less with less distortion, so maybe in the future they will make better lenses if we show them we want it.

Would you want to see lenses with less magnification, less distortion and less SDE in the future? I made a poll for everyone to cast a vote to decide if better lenses with less distortion and less SDE is something the community wants.
https://strawpoll.com/w48a1y8c7

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.