Mirroring & Distortion Effect at Periphery of V5 Lens

Hi,

just wanted to show the mirroring and distortion effect of the Pimax 8k V5 lenses that was shown in the Elite: Dangerous demo video clip.

I think it’s important to note, that it’s not directly at the edges, but a significant “break” within the lens itself, leading to a very noticeable band of distorted / mirroring effects.

But look for yourself:

You can see the effect both on the right and left upper corners. That means the effect affects a significant field of view.

Important: This was filmed through the lens with a camera which it’s not at the perfect spot, therefore we cannot conclude, how it will look to the human eye, when the headset is worn correctly. But it gives an indication of how the effect could look like, if the fundamental issue is not solved with the more advanced iterations of the Pimax 8k lenses.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting that.

As anything maybe we would just tune that out? A bit like wearing spectacles, we don’t see the frame of them and that is right around our eyes if you look for it. But as this would be moving it could be disconcerting at first.

2 Likes

No lense is perfect. The vive is far from perfect, although the vive does seem to not skew geometry which is important. Does the p8k outer periphery consistently do this? Or only sometimes?

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I hadn’t noticed that when I first viewed this video. But I do wonder if it is, as you mentioned in your caveat, a function of the camera’s distance from the lens. It does seems to come and go as the view is moved around.

One other thing I notice now in watching the video (and your lower still shot) is the kink in the curvature. Very noticeable at the word “predict” and after “current”. I wonder if that is in the game rendering or a lens/panel effect.

1 Like

I would probably never notice that if it wouldnt shown on the screenshots. Not a big issue, imho, im experiencing something like that on my htc vive like ALL the time and it looks much much worse.

3 Likes

If we have to live with some small aberrations then so be it , they could be forever chasing rainbows trying to fix them all , the demo’s during the kickstarter were all fruit ninja etc so no-one noticed anything

1 Like

Interesting, never notice about that too.

I see Ch4rli3_G0rd0n3h post on another topic

“Reflections at the edges of lenses” “weird reflections at edges of lenses” “slivers of moving imagery at the periphery.”

One of the reasons is the magnification change on v5. Also, v5 is the first mass production prototype, the lenses and the mechanical design of the lenses are both new tooling version. The inner face is smooth in v5, which result in reflections. We will add texture on the surface in the final version to avoid reflection.

I am thinking that may player not look closed enough to the lenses or may be we can see this when we try to look at the edge, it may be not the edge of display, but we can see this from the edge of lenses around our eyes.

Feedback of M1 from 3 backers about edge distortion.

1. There is distortion around the edges of the lenses. When I looked for it I really noticed it and it was annoying. However when I was looking more straight ahead it was not an issue for me.
  2. The FOV and lenses of the Pimax 8k felt good, like 160/170 ish, but the barrel distortion felt slightly off. Similar to what happens when you play a non VR game with a higher FOV than normal. For example, playing Skyrim with 130 degree FOV. It doesn’t feel comfortable, natural, or correct, with the barrel distortion. The Pimax 8k felt a slightly like that. Keyword slightly. It’s almost good, and you can somewhat ignore it.
    There was some mirror warping effect at the edges of the FOV, similar to the Windows VR headsets when you press them close to your face. Reminds me of the visual distortion around CGI black holes. It’s not a huge deal, and you can ignore it to some extent while you get into the game, or whatever you are doing.
    This is hard to say. The lenses felt good, minus the edge distortion. If, the IPD can be corrected, and the barrel distortion can be tweaked, then I would say the lenses do what is expected well. Gives you a large fov advantage.
  3. Its not all good news. The edges of my plate looked destorted, but only when I looked for the effect.

I have ever post about this effect when I test StarVR and be afraid about this so much.

Final Version is not M1

3 Likes

So M1 has reflections at the edges of lenses because they will add texture on the surface only in the final version

2 Likes

Sometime, may we don’t want to focus to the edge of the lenses, but I ever test oculus go, when I look to the closed object, I can see the black ring around the lenses at the middle of display (may be wrong IPD).

May tester have to check when we can see this edge distortion although we don’t want to look at it.

I had a friend in high school that wore glasses with very thick lenses. The sides of the lenses were roughened and painted black, to reduce inner reflections.

I think that might be a viable fix and Pimax should consider it. Otherwise, this might be a lens mod that we could do ourselves.

3 Likes

Just exactly like I expected and anticipated in this post: http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-31-05-2018-update-m1-units-have-left-the-building/6241/178?u=lillo

But this is normal and unavoidable to some extent, at least with the current optical technology we have, not a big deal though, Pimax will probably optimize it as much as possible and it will go into the background and you will get used to ignoring these small imperfections while playing/using it.

One thing is for sure, the view could be further improved as soon as curved/flexible ultrawide panels become available.

4 Likes

I wonder if and when custom made panels for VR will be made. It has the potential to solve all problems probably. I guess i’s all to do with economics

2 Likes

It seems likely that the technology will continue to improve.

An ideal panel would be in the shape of a hemisphere and would emit a “light field”, so that you would have true depth-of-field. That is, when you focus your eye on an area, things that are closer or further away would have the normal blurring effect of real-life.

It is possible that this technique would not even need lenses, for a person with 20/20 vision. That would also get rid of any chromatic aberration, which is introduced by lenses. When? Maybe in 50-100 years?

https://academic.microsoft.com/#/detail/2063366997?FORM=DACADP

1 Like

Maybe projecting straight into the eye will come sooner

Any demo or prototype of this?

In many respects, a light field is “projecting straight into the eye”.

In particular, notice the lack of a focusing lens. Instead there is an array of micro-lenses on the display itself.

2 Likes

Perfect holography projection is a reality already in some very high level circles, and space program technology…sad thing is it can’t be revealed to the masses because it would require a total paradigm revamp of currently accepted physics (wich is intentionally flawed).

Maybe if more people wake up to these facts and do their research, then share it far and wide, it will happen sooner than later.

In some things we are already farther than Star Trek technology level, but it is kept accurately hidden.

1 Like

Yes, the Pleiadians won’t take off their faux human skin until at least some major part of the human-dolphin hibrids wake up…

2 Likes

That’s funny :slight_smile: You probably quoting Marvel comics ?? Lol

Just do some serious research…there’s a ton of material at the US Patent Office that you can view online, even many very recent declassified material, FACTS not fiction, complete and detailed projects with included schematics, even if many fictional subjects are in reality inspired by people in the think tanks who know things DIRECTLY, it’s not a casuality…

We are in the Internet age…ignorance is only a CHOICE now…