Poll: 8KX in 2019 or 2020?

I’m sure I read in a post recently from a Pimax employee that the 8kx will be released in July this year?

1 Like

I believe he said prototype.

2 Likes

Prototype that is.
how do you people think you gonna run this kind of crazy resolutions, my 5k+ is in the box because 2080ti +9700k cant produce enough performance.
Ofc games like the lab runs perfectly fpswise but it’s not a real game.

What are you trying to run? I get reasonable performance on many things with an r7 2700x with a 1080 ti on my 8k. Most things I run are around 70+ fps.
Ie
Vector 36
Hellblade
Redout
Distance
Vox Machina
Distance
& other programs listed in other lists I posted.

If using analogix new bridge chips should be able to run like 8k with dual inputs upscaled but with 90hz capable in theory.

Yeah native is likely not going to do well in games.

1 Like

Native 4K/eye isn’t even close to being able to run well unless they get one gpu each to drive each eye but even then it’s a stretch, which is why they should just perfect the lenses on the 5k+ and get wireless out and bam, done. Then if they want even more adoption, produce inside out tracking solution. But non-native 4k/eye even if they went to full rgb panel wouldn’t mean much in terms of a serious upgrade from what we have now so they shouldn’t do it until we can run native 4k/eye in my opinion and just produce a knock-off xtal instead.

1 Like

Skyrim and Arizona , but the quality/performance didn’t met.
Gotta say im sensitive to frames per second/screen refresh since Quake.

Lets not hijack the topic.

1 Like

I think this pimax employee is me 0`0 You can call me dallas :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

It was Dallas that said it :grin:

1 Like

I spent the last 10 minutes searching for that post with no success.
Would you mind repeating what was said?
Is 8K-X really coming in July?

1 Like

@DerekVVV mentioned there aiming to have a prototype release in July.

Here is the link but Believe he means prototype but could be wrong. @anon74848233

https://community.openmr.ai/t/amazon-next-day-delivery-but-web-store-order-still-not-delivered-since-4-weeks/20072/8?u=heliosurge

He did say it’s a projection that may or may not.

1 Like

Well, let’s hope we can avoid re-projection! Noone like reprojection, after all.

:smiley:

2 Likes

So is it may or july?

:man_facepalming:

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

4 Likes

Sorry, but these calculations, which keep cropping up, are based on a whole series of erroneous assumptions and misconceptions.

First of all, everybody need to drop the “diagonal” nonsense, just in general.

Even if a shady marketing department does tout “diagonal” numbers, to inflate the impression they make, one can only with any semblance of dignity (yeah… marketers…) measure all the way out to the screen corners, if the view really does extend all the way out to those corners, which it typically does not.

We have no real way of actually knowing a lot of these actual FOVs yet, and they are not the only numbers that are being guesstimated here.

One can not use pythagoras’ thorem with angles – that is Pimax’s mistake (…and mine as well, before a local here “ahem”-ed the matter :7), which they unfortunately stubbornly stick with – and counting all the way out to the previously mentioned unseen corners, to boot. The horizontal and vertical angles of a square frustum with a 114° diagonal angle is 94.8° – not 80.6°.

One can not use the FOV for both eyes combined in one’s calculations, unless the stereo overlap is 100% - the size of the per-eye bitmap needs to be matched with the per-eye frustum that goes with it.

Dividing a viewplane bitmap width or height by its corresponding FOV does give a general idea of PPD, and is often the best we can do, but the distortion caused by the lenses makes it a lot less useful, since the PPD is very different between different parts of the view (e.g. a lot of pixels get concentrated in the centre, which consequently has much better effective resolution than the stretched out periphery), and what that distortion looks like can differ strongly between different lenses.

Sorry for being curt, but I’ve just seen this so many times now…

4 Likes

Lol. Gotta love the wonky english language. :rofl:

Yes all VR marketing teams need to stop using Diagonal FoV & simply publish Horizontal & Vertical FoV using a joint standard that is based on pupil to lens distance.

Remember at launch Rift & Vive supposedly had the same marketed FoV. As long as there is no Vesa like standard we will have wonky reporting.

3 Likes

may be or may be not.

my choice and my hope is:

• 8K X - 2019
  • 8K X2 - 2020
  • 10K X3 - 2021

Samsung Way…

Samsung is rumored for bringing a new HMD the next months… :wink:

1 Like

prototype yes,we are talking about prototype.

2 Likes

Really? Where did you hear this? Hope their using the new 4K 120hz OLED panels :slight_smile:

3 Likes