PiTool, SteamVR, Application Resolution, spreadsheets. Project extendedInterface

By popular demand, here I hope to offer some rudimentary guidance on where to find the new configuration spreadsheets, and what to do with them. Completing the overall project has been a priority, if anyone could follow along and create generic tutorial videos in the meantime, it would be greatly appreciated.

For any particular application (DCS World, Elite Dangerous, etc), there are two or three ‘param.ods’ spreadsheets. A Template and two copies - Checklist, and ‘Fast’. Occasionally, the checklist copies may have other variants - a checklist specifically for the Pimax 5k+ for example.

For all three spreadsheets, format is the same. Top-Left corner is a checklist of PiTool, SteamVR, and App settings. End users only need to configure their settings to match. In particular, there are exactly four numbers end users particularly need to be concerned with.

• PiTool - Render Quality
  • SteamVR - SteamVR Settings > Video > Custom Resolution
  • SteamVR - SteamVR Settings > Applications > [App] > Custom Resolution
  • App - Pixel Density (or whatever the application’s built-in supersampling setting is)

Template

• Latest maximum resolution settings.
  • Latest VR headset and PC hardware comparison data.
  • Most up-to-date comments for developers.

Checklist

• Complete specification of application visual quality settings and graphics driver control panel settings.
  • Less demanding resolution settings.

Fast

• Specifically intended for competitive scenarios requiring absolute minimum latency.
  • Minimal resolution/quality settings.

Eventually, small programs may set profiles of these values automatically. For now, batch files are available to copy/paste SteamVR settings files.

A far larger project - extendedInterface - incorporates these spreadsheets. The repository is well worth exploring.

18 Likes

Pinned a copy & closed topic in Pitool\Discussion

4 Likes

This is just very confusing to me. I expected something like a list for each game and which settings to use. Instead there are ods files which show only gibberish in notepad. What is this even?
Do I have to load this into my installation directory? Or is this something which is meant for game developement on Pimax?

It is a WiP document created by @mirage335 using a calculation for potentially best settings as he demonstrated gains at CES with DCS.

Tweaker’s settings. One can also simply set pirender to base of 1 to 1.5 and generally let steam’s auto ss setting. Works reasonably

It’s a spreadsheet format, will open in Excel etc

1 Like

@Heliosurge Except that SteamVR’s auto SS setting is not reasonable for things like DCS World or Elite Dangerous of course, where good graphical quality is right at the limit of what CPUs/GPUs can do, and setting PiTool to 1.0 will actually result in a decrease in visual quality for all Pimax headsets due to a blur filter.

@Intet Download LibreOffice. Free, open source, runs locally.

2 Likes

Disable Advance Super Sampling removes blur. Yes higher SS will create a sharper picture that’s a no brainer with any type of SS like VSR and DSR.

1 Like

Tried that. Definitely did not remove the blur filter I am talking about, which was clearly planned to be just enough to minimize the visibility of RGB subpixels with lesser headsets.

Well it’s been working in the titles i have tied it on. Like Hellblade.

I’m not sure if I was seeing the same blur that you are seeing, but I found I get the clearest image when I set SteamVR to 100% and only adjust PiTool quality. Currently I have it set to 0.75, which runs well on my 2080 when playing Elite D.

2 Likes

I’m still going with PT 2.0, Steam manual 0.25, HMD 1.25 until I come across a better balance

2 Likes

@neal_white_iii To get a clear image at 100% SteamVR and 0.75 PiTool Render Quality, you must have Elite Dangerous ‘HMD Quality’ set to something like 1.75. Elite Dangerous is unusual in that its built-in supersampling controls more than just supersampling. Try keeping PiTool at 1.25 and setting things from there.

@Octofox That works. Lowering PiTool Render Quality a little to 1.25-1.75x may help a bit with performance, at least when you get an 8kX.

2 Likes

Sure thanks. Indeed I’ll revisit the whole setup when 8KX arrives. Will have to additionally compare native / less than native / upscaled depending on app. I hope, as I have a decent PC now, that I will generally be able to get native running smoothly in most situations :+1:

I have Elite HMD Quality set to 1.0. My 2080 can’t keep an acceptable framerate with higher settings. If I put PiTool at 1.25, I need to lower SteamVR SS to 50%, which doesn’t look as good as my current settings.

1 Like

What else does it control?

@neal_white_iii By ‘acceptable frame rate’, is that with Smart Smoothing on and half <=72Hz, or without Smart Smoothing and/or >=72Hz.

@risa2000 I don’t remember exactly. IIRC there was a post on the FDev forums about it.

Without Smart Smoothing, 80 Hz, FFR conservative. I have an i7-8700K and a 2080.

1 Like

That is going to be computationally expensive at best. Elite Dangerous works pretty well with Smart Smoothing, and I prefer to push it to the limits to get maximum resolution. Haze and readability matter to me a lot more than a little distortion towards the edge of the HUD on near planetary surfaces.

EDIT: You can still use the spreadsheets to make your own checklists and load calculations though.

2 Likes

Here’s one more tip, if you’d like to improve Elite D’s “skybox”, which contains the galaxy and stars outside of the system you are in. I tried larger values 6144 and 8192, but settled on 5K as a balance between visuals and the delay added to the witch-space tunnel, while the skybox is being rendered. This goes a long way towards making the distant stars look more real.

This changes the value of the High “GalaxyBackground” setting in the ED Graphics options:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/compilation-of-8k-x-comparison-images-until-we-get-new-material-source-sweviver/25462/6?u=neal_white_iii

2 Likes

may i aks, is ED as sharp in the 8kX as an HD monitor? It felt that way playing with a reverb.

1 Like