Pitool feature requests [post here]

Hi guys

Pimax needs your help to make the Pitool both feature rich and easier to use.
List any of the features you’d like to see under this thread.
Remember to keep the posts short and tidy.

Requests:

• Novice/Expert mode
  • “A smoothing function added to the motion compensation to allow the user to tune out small vibrations from motion rigs. Ideally with user defined parameters.
    The motion compensation works well for me but this would be an improvement.”
  • Sleep ON/OFF toggle for Base Stations via bluetooth
  • Add color level saturation bar
  • Add option for auto launch SteamVR when turn on the hmd
  • Mic boost
  • Option to control the front LED (turn off)
  • Add an in-headset calibration guide allowing to tweak the distortion profile (for example tweak the “depth” from eyes to lenses and so on) and when it’s good enough extend the current setup guide with it…
    It should be made in an easy to follow way with images/shapes to check alignment (and explanations) and visual sliders to adjust per image/shape shown.
  • Image controls (color, sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.)
  • A monoscopic rendering mode like in the early days of Gear VR software
  • An in HMD toggle for performance statistics in any VR title (not having to rely on steam VR or Oculus software to report stats.)
  • Proper AMD support
  • Game list (explained here)
  • Dark theme
  • 3D lookup table for color calibration (explained here)
  • SteamVR menu/overlay
  • Ability to run OpenVR/OpenXR games without SteamVR
  • A post processing sharpening filter and/or Reshade injection support
  • Controller configuration, details here
  • Vertical FOV adjustment as described here
  • Refresh rate setting on individual game profiles
  • Always ON smart smoothing (framerate halving)
  • More hz options
  • Controllers passtrough option
  • Backlight slider this
  • Calibration overlay as user @g-coded explained here

@Alex.liu @PimaxVR feel free to edit this post & strike through the items as you get them done.

7 Likes
  • Fix issue with Index controllers and Vive trackers not reporting battery indicator status correctly.
  • Fix issue causing controllers to not be detected after powering up the headset and controllers following a PiTool service restart.
  • Improve distortion profile for outer edge on Large FOV with Parallel Projections enabled.
    • The distortion is really bad with Parallel Projections enabled but looks acceptable enough with it disabled.
  • Improve tracking stability and performance.
    • Recent versions of PiTool (including the latest as of writing, PiTool 255) have gradually gotten worse in both of these areas.

These are the most annoying aspects of PiTool right now that hinder the user experience when starting up and using a Pimax headset.

2 Likes

A smoothing function added to the motion compensation to allow the user to tune out small vibrations from motion rigs. Ideally with user defined parameters.

The motion compensation works well for me but this would be an improvement.

Thanks

1 Like

Please

• Sleep ON/OFF toggle for Base Stations via bluetooth
  • Add color level saturation bar
  • Add option for auto launch SteamVR when turn on the hmd
4 Likes

add a mic boost option…

5 Likes

Add an option to turn OFF the front led light.

7 Likes

Add an in-headset calibration guide allowing to tweak the distortion profile (for example tweak the “depth” from eyes to lenses and so on) and when it’s good enough extend the current setup guide with it… :wink:

It should be made in an easy to follow way with images/shapes to check alignment (and explanations) and visual sliders to adjust per image/shape shown.

7 Likes
  • Image controls (color, sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.)

To implement that it might be easier to let windows see the HMD as a monitor (like in the days of extended mode.)

• A monoscopic rendering mode like in the early days of Gear VR software
    (the 1st release of Titans of Space on Note 4 Gear VR Innovator offered this kind of mode.)

Some software does not require stereo 3D to enjoy. the visual system has other depth cues and the performance boost would be substantial enough to allow greater super sampling for those who want it, even on lower end machines.

• An in HMD toggle for performance statistics in any VR title (not having to rely on steam VR or Oculus software to report stats.)

I second the idea of distortion correction control that @DrWilken suggests.

2 Likes

The main thing I would like is for 5700XT support.

I can currently only use 90zh and I’d like to be able to use the other refresh rate options.

2 Likes
  1. Searching the game list

2. Can change the style of showing the game list my “my game” menu, when I try to search the game, it is very slow every time I type the word.

3. YUR tool can check what game to play, may you check the game which be launched and auto using Common setting if user specific for option “auto using common setting by game”. We can’t remember what game we set or not set.

Bug

1. I found that if I don’t turn on the hmd before open the pitool, it always not detect the hmd and need to restart my pc. reboot hmd or restart service not help. (pimax 5k+)
2 Likes

Another option I’d like but isn’t as important is a dark UI mode. The all white is painful.

6 Likes

Support for 3D lookup table (3DLUT) for color calibration

DisplayCal (free color calibration software) can already build 3DLUT for:

• madVR (GPU accelerated video filter)
  • reshade (filter for videogames)
  • prisma (hardware video processor from Murideo™)
  • eeColor (hardware LUT box)
  • Resolve (video editing software from DaVinci™)

Geometric Adjustment through a 10x10 points grid to make “User distortion profiles”.

This is well known since decades in video projector world. You select each point of a grid and can move them up/down/left/right. Here is an exemple with Geometry Manager Pro, a free software from Panasonic:

3 Likes

A steamVR menu/overlay for pitool would be great.
Minor but nice for a polished pro experience, suggestion to unify the graphic style of pitool with the Pimax brand/logo and website

1 Like

My dream experience would be running OpenVR/OpenXR games without SteamVR at all, directly into Pimax hardware.

Also, I keep hoping for motion smoothing to become as good as ASW.

1 Like

Thanks guys, will try to list the requests in my original post

@Genesis this is a thread about features, you can report bugs here: https://community.openmr.ai/c/Pimax-pitool/Pitool-Bugs
I’m sure @Alex.liu is aware of that sub-category as well.

2 Likes

A post processing sharpening filter and/or Reshade injection support.

2 Likes

i have another request. For people like me with different pupil distance to the nose between left and right. Is it possible to make the horizontal offset for both eyes just like the vertical offset?
My left eye always feels slightly off…

1 Like

I’d love to be able to modify the controller configuration options like you can in SteamVR, allowing us to modify the controls when playing Oculus games. Things like adjusting the Index grip sensitivity, and button layout. Oculus produces some of the best games in VR, and many times we’re stuck with playing with mediocre controls via Pitool, or forced to run Revive which also doesn’t support all Oculus games on Pimax. It would be great to not rely on Revive at all.

4 Likes

Vertical FOV adjustment

Goal: performance gains without sacrificing peripherical vision (H-Fov).

The ideal way would be to be able to set the V-Fov value directly (degrees) to be able to fine tune it.

If not possible that way and only fixed presets can be used (small-medium-large) then the difference should not be set as strong as for H-Fov presets.

For V-Fov maybe 5° difference between presets could be a good starting point to test the idea of an adjustable vertical Fov (large= full V-Fov, medium = large-5°, small = large-10°).

Then later this could be adjusted with a higher difference between presets (like 5 to 10°) if the performance gains are not enough and the V-Fov still big enough in small preset to consider reducing it more.

4 Likes