PiTool .245 FW255 Discussion/Questions/Features/Bugs/Etc

Here’s a weird one. When I installed this PT without clean removal of 180 the Smoothing stayed off in DCS as selected (and stayed off in PT)and I was hitting 50 fps. After re-installing PT clean, Smooth is kicking in again in DCS even though still turned off in PT. Now back to the annoying artifacts it causes.
It only does this in DCS and they dropped a 9 gig patch as well so don’t know what to think.
Also the PT Smooth setting is now back to defaulting on at launch.

2 Likes

Maybe a dum question but have clicked save game setting in pitool?

1 Like

Unfortunately DCS won’t launch from pitool so no love there.

Smooth cutting in when not set has been an issue for a while now ( 180 had it).
Since the clean install now has Pitool setting Smooth on as default again, I should have left well enough alone, but given it’s only DCS kicking in Smooth, when not set, I’ll take the improvement in Golf Club VR (it’s winter-I need my indoor golf :grinning: ) over it anyway. DCS runs ok, it’s just the artifacts are a little annoying.

2 Likes

Just got PiTool 245 Beta upgrading my 5k+ to the latest firmware 2.1.255.255 and finally 120Hz option showed up !

Unfortunately if I set it at 120Hz, nothing comes out of the panels, that stay pitch black, indicating that even backlighting the panels fails, even more strange, the power led turns green, but PiTool doesnt found the headset, saying “device disconnected”.

Tried other refresh rates and setting it to 64Hz or 72 Hz apparently works (was not working with previous firmware versions) but the Pimax logo screen comes up with a very low backlighting, almost dull color, and basestation tracking doesn’t seem to track the headset at all (base station icons don’t lit in PiTool).

Putting it back to a standard 90Hz setting shows the same dull Pimax logo and the headset looks like it is stuck in the previous effort to change refresh rate, only restarting pi services makes the 5k+ to come back alive.

Apparently still some work to do with older 5k+ versions like the one I own… (serial starts with 202)

@sweviver @PimaxUSA

EDIT: Updated to PiTool 249 Dec 21 2019 , no changes.

2 Likes

I believe 202 does not support 120hz.

1 Like

Hi Lillo

From reports the ser 202 might not support 120hz. The team us still doing some tests & may have some kind of compromise (said in Op post of December 3 Update discussion)

Please fill out a Report Bug in Pitool\Report Bug. A template will be provided. Not sure if others are having LH tracking issues.

I’m staying far away from that one if that’s all it “fixes” is there more?

Do you guys notice that they moved the fov size to global level.?

A few versions back I discovered that when switching per game that when going from 72 to 90 the screen would garble

After that the removed they changed the behavior. I rather looked fov per game and they never actually explained why they removed it.

Haven’t noticed. But usually just leave it on normal. But Global setting is probably best vs per game. Maybe.

1 Like

I leave mine on large so its not a big deal.

2 Likes

My only wish is my preferred settings of Normal fov and Smart Smoothing off would stay where I last set them on exiting Pitool.
As for performance, never better, and with a clean install, the flicker in
loading screens is gone in many off the games I was seeing it.

2 Likes

Using [PiTool .245 FW255
Well after eventually getting around to re-trying My RMA`ed 5K+ and messing about with it for around 4hrs, I do like the 120hmz mode in small and normal, but the distortions are bad, I did get use to it will playing BoneWorks for about an 1 hrs, but now i know they are there I keep looking for them and noticed them on objects that are square and round, and bonworks has a lot of square thing in it. its usable though.
As I have the grand kids coming round tomorrow, I put the Index back on as its so much easier to use, WHY the F£$k is the Pimax sold with out a DAS or MAS is beyond me, and should have been a high priority item to get released with the HMD.
Anyway I will wait for the MAS and try again, but at the moment the Index is so much easier to use and the moment I went back to using it, I found the image so much better with out the distortions, and the wide FOV is not missed as much as I thought it would be.
I did notice that if I shut my left eye and get the center ring of the lens in front of My right eye, the distortions are still there but not as bad, unfortunately I cant get both eye with both center ring infront for both eye as the IPD dose not go low enough.
Anyway PIMAX PLEASE HURRY UP WITH THE MAS your HMD need it.
P.S happy Christmas every one.

2 Likes

Are you saying you notice a difference in distortion between 120hz and 90hz?

I do.

I am currently using .249 FW255. For me the experience of 90hz and 120hz is different. In my case I am unable to use 90hz mode at all currently. The IPD setting that is comfortable for me in 120hz does not work for me in 90hz. Also for me 90hz is like wearing something like a fish bowl over my head with a curved distortion but 120hz for me is more like looking through a flat window.

If you are saying there is a difference can you please say what your serial number is mine is a 204 headset.

@risa2000

1 Like

The distortions start at the center of the screen and get worse as it gets nearer to the edge of the screen in ALL modes, Like a fish bowl but start out as nothing in the center but getting more as it gets closer to the edge of the screen. That is why I dont see as much with the small FOV. I can still tell its their even though it is very slight when using small FOV. Close one eye and move the HMD left and right, you will see it get worse left and right of the center ring of the lens. You can see this on some of the images sweviver posted when he did not get the cam lens in the correct place on the lens.
Its still usable and I can get use to it, but as soon as I go back to the Index, I can tell instantly that the image is correct and for me the image on the Pimax is slightly incorrect.
For me IF I could get the center ring of the lenses closer together I could minimize it quite a lot.

Yes that distortion in the Pimax is well known. I can also see it on any FOV setting but thankfully for me in 120hz mode there is less distortion than in 90Hz mode.

2 Likes

What can be confirmed is the issue happend only on the AMD cards, because the pitool get the wrong refresh from AMD ,so pitool use the wrong json, pimax engineer is still to slove it.

4 Likes

too near -> huge edge distortion
too far -> fishbowl distortion

there’s a spot in the midddle, at last for me and my face where there is little to none of both.
i’m using custom foam (2x vrcover thin + 1 vrcover washable)

1 Like

Is this only on Pitool update or do you mean you have this issue since receiving? If so may need to explore different thickness options of foam & tilting.

What is the spot? Can you take a pic? If not pitool issue then need to move your post to pitool discussion. The spot if appears to be foreign may need to fike a support ticket.

2 Likes

I only want to report that I can’t use version .249 FW255. I have to force it to connect by restarting the service and after about 20 minutes of play, it disconnects and the screens turn black. When it does that, I need to exit everything and restart the service for another 20 minutes of play.

The serial number of my 5K+ starts with 203.

I re-installed .197 and everything is back to normal and working.

1 Like

No such issue here on this Pitool. Mine also a 203

1 Like