Pitool 1.0.2.086

I can play hours with the index without any eye strain at all

1 Like

I can play with my Pimax HMDs without any eye strain and having 3D depth.

4 Likes

love this reply.

Everyone has a story donā€™t they , and theyā€™re all valid.

2 Likes

I agree Djonko. Iā€™ve been working with it for hours and while I am now pretty happy with the result, it just shouldnā€™t take that long. If theyā€™d included some instructions and information on how moving the sliders left or right affects each eye. Of course it is beta- but still. Did I miss the instructions in the DL? it wouldnā€™t be the first time I did that. If soā€¦ sorry Pimax.
Iā€™m sure sweviver et al will get this worked into the Pimax experience and make it a lot easier to use effectively. I see this as another step forward to a truly user friendly Pimax 8kx out of the box.
Good work!

4 Likes

Your eyes are still straining to adjust to a focal plane that doesnā€™t exist, your brain is just tuning it out for you.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. I mean the engineers who have developed the lenses, headset and software should give us instructions on how to fine tune it. They know whatā€™s going on better than anyone else. Yet thereā€™s no info at all from Pimax. Thereā€™s just so many possible combinations of the IPD/lens settings. And feedback from your eyes muscle can take a while, so fiddling without any real pointers is just going to result in a lot of frustration

8 Likes

Yeah true but somehow it works a lot better on the index. I just dail in my IPD and I can play hours without any eye strain or problems.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess the better lenses are just fixing a lot of the other problems, and the one that remains you can deal with.

2 Likes

Agreed making it a big thing about a new ipd setting method and having 0 info on it and nothing obvious as to what was changed.

4 Likes

Well with Pimax a part of this strain could be more due to lens design and canting.

1 Like

same arguments we hat 1.4 years ago when most backers got there 5k+/8k

The SHOULD know whatā€™s wrong - did we got any instructions from pimax - no

also i still remember the comment about correcting the alignment of panels in the production process in august 2019 and that all units before that (most/all backer units) may have flawed mounted panels

i fully agree, having about 8-10 values you can tweak without the instructions what to achieve is difficult at best, maybe ludicrous and can make you vr sick numerous times

yeah backers kind of agreed to being guinea pigs for the next iteration (no joking here)

its just a setting people asked for as often before, if its useful the testers in the community will tell pimax (not the engineers in r&d)
the news would be instructions on how to achieve normal usability comparable to other headsets
atm its still ā€œdial in your ipd and you are good to goā€ and we know it not going to work for a lot of people for longer use (short vr sessions like people trying it on CES do not count for a wider test if its good)

2 Likes

The issue is more that it was advertised a new method for setting ipd. When really all it really is is as you said adjusting the scale of incremental adjustments. So no real new method at all and not documented.

However we know pimax seems to favor release now and provide instructions much later.

• Eyetracker install both Hardware(modding the comfort kit) & Software
  • Backer Box MAS installation

For pimax to have real wins with consumers. Simple things like instructions need to be present on release instead if appearing as an after thought. Pimax is not alone though Dream Glass 4k released well however didnā€™t provide proper details on removing the pre installed Blackout shade which due to earlier reviews they swapped out the magnetic mount due to reported pre release issues.

@PimaxQuorra @PimaxVR pimax needs to take more care before releasing things. The ET for example was not ready for release even the software.

MAS was released with bad hinges that still have not been fixed; instead suggesting forcing them past limits to achieve proper angle & despite requests on updating progress there is none. I myself if going to mod the hinges I want to request the metal ones & need to know if it can be requested; I would even be willing to make a purchase.

2 Likes

and that you can adjust ipd and vertical offset per eye, THATS the news and if you over exaggerate it then its a new method of doing ipd adjustment no other company offers, if that solves any problems is to be seen

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. There are multiple reasons for strain. You can fix some of them with lenses, canting, etc, but whatever you do one will remain on all current VR headsets until you get light fields or shifting focuses like the Oculus prototype.

1 Like

same here, i canā€™t get my 8kX right and i keep fiddling with it but what seems right one time feels not right another. So i feel frustrated too, iā€™m thinking of selling mine and go for a reverb G2. I feel iā€™m damaging my eyesight with this.
it would be nice to get more info and a tool from them

1 Like

good luck with that, I requested hinges and foam in a ticket that was auto cancelled after a month and no hinges/foam arrived.

Thatā€™s not true for everyone. Iā€™ve been able to wear my 8KX for over 5 hours with no apparent eyestrain. It might depend on headset adjustment or head shape.

I find heat build up from the foam (worse with the comfort kit) to be more of a problem.

3 Likes

No, it is true for everyone. ā€˜Apparentā€™ is the key word. Your brain has just adjusted and isnā€™t complaining to you. In the real world your eyes muscle activates to pull objects into focus at different distances like a camera lens, which they will try to do in a VR headset, but the screen is only ever a fixed distance away from your eye. Thus a conflict. Some will percieve it and be annoyed with it. Some wonā€™t notice. Some it will cause serious problems. And in everyone I think it causes temporary misscalibration of those muscles to the real world.

Let me find you a couple of studies, hold on.

2 Likes

Indeed over selling the offset. I havenā€™t used the vertical ipd offset but wasnā€™t that already per eye? Even if not it should have been better detailed the changes instead of creating the illusion they actually put in a new ipd setup as nothing overly new. Just refinements without a good ipd setup interface.

It was only for both eyes before and they changed the default alignment of the image. As said I needed for 3D depth +3 but and 66 IPD totally. Now I can use it with 0 and my real IPD and do get 3D depth.

1 Like