Pitool 1.0.2.086

Now you bring it up that is something that I have just recently noticed but didn’t associate it with the new Pitool - I’ll go back to previous versions and check later.

Hi @vorinami, can you share your method to set the IPD up for each eye please ?

1 Like

So how does the 5K+/8K current firmware compare to the custom 8KX firmware(anyone)? Is there a ‘better’ firmware available for non 8KX hmds?

1 Like

You usually shouldn’t have to worry about firmware versions. The latest PiTool will automatically flash the headset with the current (multi-headset) firmware. The “current” firmware ships with the PiTool installer. If your headset has newer firmware, the flash will be skipped.

In this case, the firmware we need is newer than what was included in the beta PiTool. This is an uncommon occurrence.

3 Likes

Yep an easy way to tell this is to use virtual desktop/steam 'desktop and look at pitool. Whites get crushed even at +/- 1, though IMO it’s totally fine at ± 1 and my preferred setting. It does crush things a wee bit, but the color improvements are huge. The dull colors are a bummer at ±0 but it’s the only way to make desktop work livable

3 Likes

Hi!
I used Virtual Desktop (VR Software you can buy on Steam) and set virtual display distance to about 3.5meters to focus on. I have Pitool opened so I can change values there using arrows on the keyboard in 0.1 steps. Then I focus on something at the center of my view with one eye - the one that is more in the sweetspot with the headset on. I change the offset for that eye until it looks centered. Than I switch alternately between both eyes while trying to keep my view relaxed=focused at far= about 3.5meters while changing the offset for the second eye. the goal is to have the centered object/point ovelapping as precise as you can get it to! remember, for that you might need to adjust the vertical offset for one eye, too.
As eye accomodate fast in VR you might see sharp but your eyes might be crossed! Therefore I lift my headset over and over and focus on something around me at about the same distance as the virtual object and concentrate and try hard not to change that same eyes distance while adjusting offset in VR. It did took me a while to adjust it like that, but there is almost no more eyestrain after taking the headset off. And this is the most important: If you feel some eye strain after taking your headset off and some even slight sensation of looking crosseyed you have to readjust the offsets.

I hope you understand what I mean and hope you can adjust your headset accordingly and enjoy your games. :beers:

10 Likes

Ok, so I tried switching back to pitool .264 and it was pretty much the same in regards to the slight motion blur/ghosting I’ve noticed. I’ve not reverted the firmware.

Edit: I tried lowering the brightness from 90 to 50 and I feel like this helps with the ghosting.

1 Like

2.084 is from what @SweViver said just 264 pre packaged with PE 0.50. 2.086 has some newer adjustments to pitool.

So for a roll back I think 261 is the next best stable version iirc. I usually just keep moving forward.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the info! Its difficult figuring out visuals in vr. Sometimes its tiny things causing annoyances and sometimes I wonder if it is just that my eyes are tired that day. Probably need to write a journal to get good data.

4 Likes

I hear you there especially as the eyes adjust while your making adjustments

1 Like

Thank you so much for this idea!
Finally my focus and 3d Problems are gone it’s amazing i don’t have to sell my 8kX :yum:
I tried it this way,
Looked at my pc monitor on 2 Meter distance and just closed my left and right eye alternatly, focussing on a word on the monitor. It turned out the word was a bit lower and to left, with my right eye.
Went to Virtual desktop put a monitor on 2 meters and copied what i saw on my real monitor. I kept adjusting the IPD offset with the arrows of my keyboard till i had it the same as in real life.
It’s a crazy value like -1 +0.4 and vertical it was 0.5 difference. wich is impossable to find without a method. So it doesn’t have to allign perfectly per definition but has to match the difference in real life, apparently i’m a little bit crosseyed

I don’t understand why pimax doesn’t come up with a tool to do this, so many people have problems with this…

13 Likes

Indeed a mystery as it is often one of the top issues.

6 Likes

another Pimax mystery :grinning:

2 Likes

I am very glad it worked out for you, too! :slightly_smiling_face:

I am very certain IPD adjustment aid tool of some sort is up to come soon. I think it should be the first next thing to be implemented as this is the major turn-off when using 8kx out of the box and main cause of (unjustified) dissapointments.

7 Likes

How do you measure 2 metres inside the headset? I always suck at following these kinds of instructions. Can never see the differences.

1 Like

Thanks man i’m so happy with this, i was fiddling with this for weeks and couldn’t get it right, was just going to sell my headset
and now i can finally play Elite dangerous without throwing my headset in the corner so to speak :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

no you can’t but in the settings of virtual desktop you can set your monitor distance

8 Likes

Good thing there are plenty of Pimax detectives on this forum :smiley:

7 Likes

Indeed we need the Columbo’s :slight_smile: i check the forum regularly there is always something nice to find and try :nerd_face: it’s part of the pimax experience

8 Likes

That also happened to me recently regarding missing foam. I didn’t think much of it but now i’m concerned.