AMAZING IMMERSION with right IPD/PiTool Settings

Just got mine as well and found that it made me cross-eyed. I played around with the settings (ipd wheel dialed to minimum as well) and got nowhere. What did help, tremendously, was moving the hmd farther away from my face. Try pulling it away from your face and see if it improves. If it does, then you need a thicker face foam. I used strips of double sided hook 'n loop tape around the edges to raise the foam off. I think I settled for 3 layers. It’s still not perfect, but it’s at least usable now.

3 Likes

They are working on it.

4 Likes

I am returning my 8kx since I cannot get both eyes in focus. I have an average IPD of 65 and still can’t get to the sweet spot with both even with the IPD down to 60 as is the case with tons of other users posting the same issue.

Note to Pimax, on your next headset make lenses more adjustable even if you have to raise the price. But if you are going to incorrectly label the IPD maybe don’t even number it, just have the dial and let us figure it out.

1 Like

I wish that Pimax get as much “inspiration” from the StarVR lenses as they did from the Vive Pro headstrap. :thinking:

5 Likes

My eyes are also not the same height, which I never noticed before I got my Pimax. After setting the vertical offsets per eye, I now see 3D better in VR than in real life. When I tried adjusting the horizontal IPS offsets, however, I got instant eyestrain and yanked the headset off.

It’s strange how VR settings affect people so differently.

2 Likes

Hi! Did you give this guide a go?

That was my first setup which removed my eye strain completely but was lacking true 3d, which can be dialed in later on. Iz might be a hood start point? let us know if you tried it and if it worked out for you! I do hope it will. cheers!

2 Likes

Hi! Did you also take look at this guide? It would be a shame if you missed the true capabilities of 8kx. We all hope for a fast release of pimax IPD guide tool. This guide might be a start.

2 Likes

Can you return an 8kx? I thought that was not possible?

Amazon… duh 2020202

No amount of tuning or changing of the settings will make it physically possible for me to see clearly through the current lenses of my Pimax 8kx.

Pimax can number their IPD however they want but it doesn’t change what the true actual distance is between the lenses.

I have spent several hours, literally 3 hours a day for almost 2 weeks tuning. I have tried every combination possible to make it work. I have searched endlessly for information about it but it comes down to the physical focus centers of the lenses cannot get close enough together to accommodate my 65 IPD.

4 Likes

I bought it from Amazon.

1 Like

If you can’t get the ipd dialed down enough with the wheel, then the displays are too close to your face. Get a thicker face foam or make your own. At least, that’s been my findings.

2 Likes

Yes. Using that method, I’ve gotten it about as close as I can, for now. Unfortunately, rapidly blinking alternate eyes is fatiguing and only gets me so far. Thanks, tho! -Atm, I’m also dealing with my glasses. My bifocal sweet spot is about as small as the dang headset’s! Got new VR glasses on the way! Hopefully, we’ll get the new tool and my glasses at the same time! :smiley: Here’s hoping!

2 Likes

Definitely pretty interesting/fascinating. I don’t know if what you’re working on for Experience as far as IPD tuning, but if you’re working on a 3D environment, it would be really neat to have some different “targets” with large text at a few different distances (5m, 10m, 20m, etc, as best as you can approximate of course) to help with IPD fine-tuning.

I’m not sure who it might interest (maybe @vorinami?) but SteamVR also does have some IPD tuning of its own that many might not know about: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/comments/br91wr/steamvr_ipd_fix_also_works_on_oculus_rift_and/

4 Likes

I might try that out, didn´t know about that. THX!

Hi buddy. Im really struggling with finding optimal settings for AC with great blurriness. Ive followed your guide without amazing success. Could we get in contact somehow? I would be happy to pay you to remote connect to my PC and configure the VR.

1 Like

Hi. I will try help you without RC to your PC. PM me with more details and what guide you have followed. Write me please more about your spec, hmd, steam vr settings and steps done.

2 Likes

I was proposing that solution (switching on / off displays very fast) months ago.

I had eyestrain.
After reading your comments, i tried to move the ipd using aircar.

Right eye was good so i tried to move left ipd.

And bammmm, after a few tests, left ipd set to 1 works fine and fixed my eyestrain.

Thanks to you and thanks to Pimax engineers for this unvaluable tool.

I love more and more my artisan. lol

I would be ready for the 8KX if it was less expensiv.

4 Likes

you say that your real IPD is 60.5mm . When you put offset numbers together, you get 5.9cm, which is super close to 6.05 cm (or 59 to 60.5). So I guess if you change one offset number to either -2.8 or 3.3, you might get even better result.
All this is just hypothetical!

I have 8kx and my IPD is 63 so I will try to set -3.1 and +3.1 in offset values after I dial mechanical IPD to lowest possible vnumber. Might work. Who knows.

Btw do you get nausea when you “roll” you car in the Aircar game? I almost threw up. Doesn’t matter how well I adjust IPD, “roll” always make me sick!

1 Like