Pitool 1.0.2.086

What settings exactly did you settle on for now, including backlight level?

1 Like

This would likely be good to have selectable presets profiles like your TV. Iirc you can adjust these on the fly. So a screen with a good pic to try default profiles might be an idea.

5 Likes

The only thing now is missing i think is a gamma correction option…

2 Likes

After a session of Skyrim I also ended up with - 3 +1 across all channels, nights just became too vivid. I prefer having BL at max, but I do feel the panels heat my face more than before. Nothing comes without a cost I guess.

Edit: Tinkering, tinkering. Changed red channel to -4 +2, kept G&B at -3+1 and got rid of a faint green tint :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow - didn’t know about Dfu.exe

Well, that would be the way to go for everyone wanting an easier time of flashing their headsets.

Will keep it in mind for next time - Thanks. :+1:

2 Likes

I couldn’t flash it through dfu.exe. It didn’t show any info regarding the HMD so I gave the DfuSeCommand.exe a go instead.

Here’s a quick “howto”:

• Unpack DFUupgrade.zip somewhere (remember the path - You can copy paste it later when cd’ing to the directory)

• Place firmware file in same folder af DfuSeCommand.exe

• Enter DFU mode on HMD
    Hold all three buttons on the HMD (must be in off mode when starting)
    Release the power button after 8 seconds
    Release the volume up button after 8 seconds
    Headset is now in DFU mode (led cycling through different colors)

• Open a command prompt (cmd.exe)

• Change to the directory where You unpacked the DfuSeCommand.exe (cd C:\path\to\DFUUpgrade directory) - right click for pasting the path

• Run DfuSeCommand.exe 0 <firmware_file.dfu>

• Power cycle HMD

Download the tool here:

6 Likes

It does work,you need to reboot your pc.And start the dfu.exe file.

place the firmware file and flash.
Dfu doesnt show your pimax 8kx connected but it will flash the firmware…(its a bug)

6 Likes

Same here with a 5K+ (for me below 16 screen goes black)

Hi there, just wanted to ask if any of you experience a slight bit of ghosting or blurring while moving your head with this pitool?

2 Likes

I agree, significantly less eyestrain when I pull the HMD away (=eyes further away from lenses)

1 Like

Regarding the backlight setting, I have tried to do the opposite everybody is doing, tried to set it as low as possible to check how it affects black level, but it seems black level just remains the same and you just lose all the contrast when backlight is set to the minimum.

3 Likes

It does affect black levels in the upper range at least, seems around 80 is the sweet spot

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed the blur after this update. It really looks like a motion blur that some games would add to smooth things out. Previously I didn’t see it, however @NextGenVR pointed this out weeks ago on his headset, while I never noticed it. Maybe it was always there and it could be the additional brightness showing it off, but I guess I’d have to go to older versions to check. I just don’t feel like testing things back and forth to be honest.

3 Likes

I thought I tried even though it didn’t see the device, but I guess I didn’t then… :wink:

Anyway, I like the power of a good command line tool (work habit, I guess)… :wink:

Try with some double-sided velcro then? You can buy a roll on AliExpress or Amazon (if You can’t stand the wait)… :wink:

https://www.amazon.de/Velcro-strap-both-sides-roll/dp/B019QJIR5K

EDIT: The one above is maybe a little too rough compared to the one used on the headset (but it’ll most likely still work). Here’s a “finer” version:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B077B9MKP4

4 Likes

Before receiving the KDMAS I was using a vive foam for that reason (thicker than original Pimax foam).

With the KDMAS I have immediately installed the thickest provided foam. I need more time testing with it now, especially since the tightening will affect the eye-to-lense distance, as well as the hinges design (using original ones for now, with the bad travel angle, and I’m not bypassing the endstop).

2 Likes

I’m using the VRMust PU leather foam but still need at least one layer everywhere (two to three in the sides) before it works well for me… :wink:

Mostly due to my eye lashes smudging the lenses on the ET module, not due to distortion.

2 Likes

Yes, i’ve noticed it.

There might well be a trade off between panel brightness and pixel persistence. We might not be able to have both at the same time.

4 Likes

I saw the blur when putting it down to 50 backlight level too, so I don’t think that’s totally the cause, although I do agree maybe persistence takes a hit and makes it look worse when it’s brighter.

2 Likes

just use some double sided velcro straps under your facepad if you want to raise distance to lenses…

3 Likes

It could be to allow the higher brightness levels they’ve had to set different tolerances in the firmware IE turned up the rise and fall times at all brightness levels.

2 Likes