@pimaxusa Where's Monday's update?

And why can’t they hold a press event or maybe ship the controllers to some reviewers beforehand to get the press to try it so they can write about it and create some excitement?

All we have are pictures … we’ve had pictures for months (or years?) now. And it isn’t even clear about the details of the controllers.

They could have at least created a promotion video detailing how great it is or something.

1 Like

I admit I am a little conflicted now about whether I should get the Index Controllers or the Sword Sense. I would like to have my equipment matching but I also don’t want to wait.

Also, I feel like the Index controllers are going to have a little better support. I do like the grip button on the Sword Sense though…

Get both? No, no, that’d be ridiculous…

Nobody realizes that pimax can end up sending sponsors a controller without finger detection?

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA Ive backed for three controllers, two trackpad and one joystick, will i be able to change that around to two joystick and one trackpad?

Obviously i want finger tracking on both hands since that was promised in the kickstarter campaign and one of the main reasons i went for a full kit.

Just pre-ordered some Index controllers. Might still consider the Sword Sense at some point…

So here is my decrypting of this “announcement”:

In reality Pimax has nothing coming near knuckles to offer. This premium “Sense” version currently exist only on paper or at a very early development stage in their lab and we cannot expect such a premium Pimax controller before the 2nd half of 2020 “at best” ! (if it even exist one day !).

The only thing Pimax managed to create “for now” is a basic controller, with no finger tracking, and even no analog stick option but just a trackpad version… And even that “poorman version” won’t be produced before July “at best” ! (2nd half 2019 means it could start shipping as late as December…).

Look how long it took valve to create the knuckles, equiped with “dozens of sensors” from what I read, and in the meantime Pimax have had their focus mainly on the HMDs. How long do you think it will take before they reach production for their premium Sense version with finger tracking ?

6 Likes

Long enough for me to seriously consider buying a “second set” of Index controllers to have while I wait for my backed kit to arrive, despite the cost. $580 USD for two controllers and basestations. Could maybe get by with one basestation for “only” $430.

already done in my mind, just like my decision to grab a Vive lighthouse months ago while we crawl along waiting for the Pimax version.

1 Like

If pimax does not have for the sponsors a controller with finger detection.
It would be simply regrettable

I’d guess Pimax will let backers opt for the Sense version, but late in 2020, and possibly asking an additionnal payment to get those. And this “if Pimax really manages to create this premium version”. For now it seems they just have a basic version with no finger tracking and only trackpads (no analog sticks option). And even this basic version will still take a few monthes to go into production.

thanks for the heads up to backers @PimaxUSA

“These new controllers represent the next step for Pimax in offering top notch hardware to end users and B2B customers,” said Pimax’s North American and European head Kevin Henderson. “The balance these controllers have in your hand and the level of comfort will certainly please a lot of VR enthusiasts.”

" As always with Pimax, the key question with the Sword controllers is going to be actual availability. The company says that Sword is slated to begin mass production “soon” and will “ship out in quantity” during the second half of 2019, with pricing yet to be determined. But that’s for the standard Sword, not the “flagship controller” Sword Sense, which doesn’t have either a release date or price. The company says only that it “aims to offer killer package deals” along with its 5K+ and 8K headsets,"

3 Likes

how do you guys feel about the name “Sword”? I liked it at first but then I realized that the point of the controllers is supposed to be hand presence as opposed to the thing you’re holding. I don’t like that “Knuckles” was changed to “Index Controllers”. I think that name is stupid. “Knuckles” was an awesome name.

I guess its time to order the Index Controllers and base stations 2.0 from Valve considering we wont be getting the Sword Sense anytime soon…

sword is a stupid name, totally unrelated to its function. If it was just a development nickname then fine but as an end product it makes no sense.

so you use the ‘sword’ as a gun?

Also totally unpronounceable by Swedish people :wink:

4 Likes

Or how to try to make a bad news look as if it was a good news :rofl:

This premium Sense version is “miles away”, if it even exist one day. (Pimax promising the moon again…)

Reality of today announcement is Pimax only has a very basic controller to offer for now, something nowhere near valve knuckles… Who wants a trackpad with no finger tracking somewhere between July and December ?..

All this hype for “this”…

1 Like

Sword is basically a Vive wand with a ring around it and a wrist strap.

3 Likes

For Pimax to beat the Index controller I want:

• Trackpad version (no joystick)
  • Finger Sensing
  • Shipped in the next two months (or close to that)
  • Better price than the Index
  • All of the above clearly verified in the next few days

I think the Index controllers are too expensive, but I trust Valve and they’re coming soon. Pimax has to beat them on price, ship in a similar time-frame, and make me believe it. I won’t be able to accept any lingering suspicion that the shipping date will be in 2020 (or later).

I’m fairly sure I’m not going to get what I’m asking for, but I’m trying to be clear with Pimax so they know one customer’s expectations. I still love my 5k and am looking forward to doing more business with Pimax in the years to come.

Was I wrong in my interpreting this comment to be snarky? :wink:

I read the Pimax’s release as being little more than spin on why they are unable to release a fully functional controller. And let’s be clear on that. Touch and now the Index controller has finger-sensing functionality. Anything less is an outdated and crippled controller.

Let me say that one more time… Anything less is an Outdated and Crippled Controller… End of story.

@PimaxUSA promised to be present today (look above) to answer questions pertaining to this release.

Here’s to hoping that he makes good, as the natives are getting restless.

3 Likes

No other way to read it, especially as @PimaxUSA hasn’t been around for his Q&A yet. Good luck to him when he does appear. Feels like lots of Qs and only a few As…

1 Like

FWIW, the Kickstarter page clearly shows finger sensing functionality in the controller picture, with bolded words, “We Offer”.

Pimax, please take notice that there is no way you can spin yourself out of that.

12 Likes