Pimax VR Experience Open Beta 0.50 - Releasing Now!

Hey everyone!

The Pimax VR Experience software has been in Closed/Private Beta for several weeks now and today we are finally going Public Beta after nearly 6 months of development!

The latest Beta 0.50 version is bundled with PiTool version 1.0.2.084, and this PiTool version is based on the 264 functionality. This means, just run the installer PiToolSetup_1.0.2.084.exe and you will have the same functionality as PiTool version 264, but now also including the latest Pimax VR Experience software running from start. Put on your headset and try out the Pimax VR Experience functionality and let us know what you think :slight_smile: From now on, I will refer to Pimax VR Experience simply as “PE”.

Download: PiToolSetup_1.0.2.084.exe

Note: The new PiTool has a higher version number 1.0.2.084 instead of Pitool 1.0.1.264. Although, I recently discovered that after installing the new 1.0.2.084, PiTool still says that a new PiTool update is availale, which is wrong. So please just ignore that for now until we have fixed it.

The Closed Beta category for PE here on the forums will go public later tonight and become a Public Beta Category, so you can read all about the previous versions of PE, follow the development, discuss the progress and ideas and also grab new upcoming Beta versions of PE releasing almost every day: https://community.openmr.ai/c/PEXPBeta/62/l/latest

Additionally, we will update the progress and have some exclusive in-deep progress updates on the new Official Pimax Reddit. In there, we can all discuss the features and ideas, so please join it if you still havent: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax_Official/

I wish I could have prepared a introductional video for this day (as planned), but unfortunately I currently have a cold and slight fever and losing my voice, so I will save that for another day hopefully this weekend. Either way, we didnt want you to wait so we decided to release the first Beta version to public here in the forums, on Reddit and other social platforms.

So the basic functionaliy, (in short):

1. Upon first start, PE imports all your installed VR games from:
    - SteamVR
    - Oculus
    - VivePort
    - Revive
    **- Additionally, you can import custom VR games in the category “Imported”.
    The game can be instantly launched from PE, with and without applying profile settings for the HMD, including SteamVR optimization.
    All these games are sorted in each own category.
    Any game/app can be added/removed to/from the Favorites category for faster access.

2. Settings: PE lets you control/apply basically all HMD settings the same way PiTool does, but instantly in VR. PE constantly communicates with PiTool, so remember that PiTool needs to be running for PE to be properly working. Settings are

3. Advanced: PE lets you control advanced settings, and also manage SteamVR optimization profiles, do more advanced setting adjustments, and manage/edit/add/remove your imported games (this menu is only seen when Advanced mode is enabled)

4. Profiles: This category lets you manage/add/edit/delete setting profiles that you can use individually or profiles dedicated for specific VR games/apps.

5. Customize: Lets you customize the UI look, switch interaction modes, desktop mode and much more.

Interaction supported in Beta 0.50:

• Full VR Controller interaction (laser pointer) with Valve Index/HTC Vive controllers
  • Full Hand Tracking interaction with any Leap Motion device (optimized for Pimax wideFOV UltraHaptics hand tracking modules of course). Note that when this mode is enabled, VR controller interaction is disabled (switch). Additionally, Hand Tracking mode is only available when hardware is detected and connected.
  • Full VR Mouse interaction. Note that this mode can only be enabled when Hand Tracking mode is disabled.

Desktop view:
PE is running in VR, but has also Desktop modes:

• Hidden on Desktop mode (on by default)
  • Window Mode (multiple resolutions available from 540p to 4K)
  • Fullscreen Mode (multiple resolutions available from 540p to 4K)
    Note: VR Mouse interaction requires window/fullscreen mode and window mode is instantly enabled when mouse interaction is enabled.

We will get more in-deep into the functionality further on (with tutorial videos etc), but for now I think this should get you started testing it out :slight_smile:

Now, I would like to highlight something:
Armin Noroozi @arminelec that runs ArtArmin (the developer of Board Games VR on Steam) has since weeks back joined (volunteered) the development of Pimax VR Experience and he is currently spending his entire days - basically on full time - dedicating himself to work on this project together with me.

Armin is a highly skilled VR developer and programmer for many years now with proper Unity knowledge way beyond my level. I am personally a good friend of Armin for several years now, and Im truly thankful for his efforts and dedication into this project - despite the fact that he is not even getting paid and is not employed by Pimax. I think Armin is already now doing some huge progress for the development, and he will become a very important resource for us all to make this application something great for our community and all Pimax owners.

Therefore, he deserves all the respect and a huge thanks from all of us Pimax fans. If you are willing to support him, please dont hesitate to join his Patreon. Believe me, it really makes a difference! https://www.patreon.com/artarmin

Lastly, a BIG thanks to all the Beta testers who have volunteered spending hours and hours on testing, reporting, suggesting and helping us to improve the software over the past 4 weeks or so. Your efforts have really made a big difference and we have solved numerous of issues and bugs - as well as added new features - and this is all thanks to you!

So guys, lets try out the VR Experience together and let us know what you think of it, in it’s current state!

But please be aware… This is still a Beta release. Everything can - and will - be be improved. We are still in early days of development and PE can just get better from now on, so have that in mind! :slight_smile:

Thank you!
/Martin, Armin & the Pimax team.

60 Likes

Just a note; The Pimax Experience runs instead of the “Pimax VR Home” environment, so to enable/disable tick/untick this box:

17 Likes

Yesterday I installed Pitool 264 and before you post this I installed beta 0.50 is there a performance increase too update 1.0.2084? Do we need to push a butten too change the 16384? Or is this automatically done for each game? Could we scroll down white the joystick or TouchPad?

3 Likes

In the Readme they should have told us to put the beta in the old pimax home file but never mind the new Pitool is withe the beta.

1 Like

“They” (SweViver actually) did… :wink:

Here’s a few quotes:

Use PiTool version 1.0.1.264 (or later). PVRHome beta updates do NOT include PiTool anymore, because its not needed anymore.
Just get latest PiTool 1.0.1.264 here: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-264-beta/30809
And simply replace the content of PVRHome folder (read how-to below)

and the “how-to below” part:

1. Install the PiTool 1.0.1.264 (or later) here: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-264-beta/30809
  2. Open PiTool, go to Settings → General and DISABLE/UNCHECK “Start Pimax VR Home”
  3. Go to C:\Program Files\Pimax\PVRHome\ and remove all content inside the folder.
  4. Copy all content from this ZIP/RAR and paste it into C:\Program Files\Pimax\PVRHome\
  5. In PiTool, go to Settings → General and ENABLE/CHECK “Start Pimax VR Home” to start the Pimax VR Experience

It said to remove the contents and replace with the contents of the PVRHome folder (from the .zip file), but as it’s now shipped with PiTool just install and enjoy… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is there an estimated date for the right IPD settings (test) because I cant get it right to feel the 3D depth.

3 Likes

The PiTool is basically 246 and same functionality, except it includes PE instead of the old empty VRHome.

Automatically its 8192 per game as thats the default value for each SteamVR profile created for each installed game. But you can change it to 16384 or other values under Advanced → Manual SteamVR Optimization for individual profiles OR for SteamVR in general.

As of the scrolling with touchpads and thumbstick, not yet and we are working on it… its a bit complicated as the Pimax SDK doesn’t support nor detect these buttons/axis so we are currently working on creating a custom solution.

10 Likes

Thank you very much. I tried immediately.

I could see it on my 8KX, but the mouse cursor didn’t show up and I couldn’t activate the window.
Is it a specification that cannot be operated with a mouse and keyboard?
I felt I needed a hand controller.

So I installed an old Leap Motion.:raised_back_of_hand:
My right arm appeared in the world, but my hands and buttons in virtual space are too far to touch.
My outstretched arm only reached half the distance to the screen in VR. :point_up_2:

I’m wondering how to access the settings without hand controller.

3 Likes

I did all the steps but I didn’t read step 4 lol

3 Likes

<This.
No mouse in VR, no flatscreen display of PE on monitor.
Looks nice, but can’t interact without wands etc…

2 Likes

Thanks for answering and for the hard work! the pimax experience looks great!!! Could you also put sound in there so I know if my headphones is selected. I have a 1080ti is 8192 recommended or could I pump it too 16384?

5 Likes

For those of you that do not have any VR controllers:

As the VR Mouse interaction just entered the first “experimental” version in Beta 0.50, we did not set it VR Mouse Enabled on default in this first version. The main reason is that VR mouse interaction requires an active window/fullscreen to work, and we are solving that by using a window/fullscreen handler. Now, this works great already, but we a little are afraid there still could be potential issues with the feature, so this is why we didnt want to enable it on default (and potentially destroy the exprience with a crash or whatever at first PE start).

In upcoming versions, we will make sure to add a feature that automatically enables Mouse mode (and enables window/fullscreen mode) IF no controllers are connected/discovered.

Meanwhile, you will (unfortunately) need to enable it the first time by going into the user settings config file. First, uncheck the “Start Pimax VR Home” checkbox in PiTool (to quit PE it its running).

Remember: This will NOT be needed in next version, as soon as we know VR Mouse brings no issues to anyone :slight_smile:

Now, go to the folder:

C:\Users\ your-username \AppData\LocalLow\Pimax\PVRHome\

Open the file userSettingsPVR.json with Notepad or any text editor, and change these lines:

“monitorMode”: “hidden”,
“mouseEnabled”: false,
to:
“monitorMode”: “window”,
“mouseEnabled”: true,

and

Save the file, and now check the checkbox “Start Pimax VR Home”. Now PE should start automatically with Mouse enabled.

Sorry for this hassle. Its a bit too late to update the version as PiTool team is asleep at this time of day and they cant built a new PiTool installer right now with an updated version.

Also, from now on, new PE updates will also be released standalone, without PiTool (to make it simple and hasslefree), with (as well as without) its own installer that Im currently preparing.

6 Likes

Thank you very much. It was very helpful.
I edited the specified file and the mouse cursor appeared in VR space.
However, it cannot be operated …
The cursor does not follow.

What is the flag to turn on monitor mode?

3 Likes

@SweViver after installing this beta my performance went bad…
Now after installing the old pitool beta the performance is still bad? alot of reprojection(ghosting)

1 Like

Dang. Sorry I forgot:
Change “hidden” to “window” on line monitorMode :slight_smile:

Remember: This will NOT be needed in next version, as soon as we know VR Mouse brings no issues to anyone :slight_smile:

mouseenable

5 Likes

Thank you very much. I can now operate it with the mouse. :smiley:

5 Likes

Im really sorry we didnt enable Mouse on default upon first startup. This will definitely be fixed in next built (tomorrow)

I simply forgot about the scenario when no controllers are available…

4 Likes

Awesome work! :raised_hands: I look forward to trying it out this evening after work. Question regarding importing custom games, is there a directory or location I could use custom covers for the games? Can you use custom covers for existing steam games as well?

Steam gives you the ability to change your covers in the library. I spent hours creating new covers (grid art) for my games one day, only to find out that they don’t show up in SteamVR. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: It would be amazing if I can create my own artwork for the games in PE.

5 Likes

Thanks man! Yes of course, since a few weeks back you can change covers/thumbnail of any game in all categories. Just use the built in file-browser in the Game Management to browse to your image and select it as your thumbnail for the game. you can also change the title and type (game/application) of the game if you want (and runtime for custom imported games). Dont forget to Save your changes :slight_smile:

You can edit the games by browsing them in Game Management, or jump directly to edit a specific game by clicking on the top-right icon directly on the game-page.

6 Likes

Great to hear! You are freaking awesome.

I’m not a big fan of many Steam game covers as they tend to be quite generic. This is great news!

One last question, I see from the screenshot the art is landscape. Is there an option to switch to the portrait covers similar in the SteamVR library menu? I assume it would have to be coded that way so it’s unlikely, but I’m still curious.

3 Likes