Pimax VR Experience 0.60.0.0 Beta Available Now!

This is because all default settings profiles for each game has Parallell Projection enabled. And upon launching any game, PE automatically applies the profile (to the headset) - the profile which is linked to each game. This means, if you dont manually adjust your game profiles, it will have PP enabled on default. this is made to prevent crossed-eye rendering issues in games that requires PP enabled. Basically to prevent new (newbies) users to experience a improperly rendered image that happens if you run PP-game without PP enabled.

If you want to skip the automatic profile-apply upon game startup, just (inside PE) go to Profiles → Settings and untick the first checkbox.

Let me explain what the first 2 checkbox does:

• Checkbox 1: Automatically apply settings profile upon game launch. If you disable this option, upon starting any game, the game’s profile settings will NOT be applied to the headset <-this is probably what you want The same profile and settings will be used in the headset upon starting any game.

• Checkbox 2: Automatically apply SteamVR optimization profile upon game launch. Same as above, but enables or disables automatic adjustment of SteamVR settings (based on the games profile) before the game launches. Disable this if you always want to keep the same SteamVR settings for all games.

Checkboxes 3 to 6 are for other things, and I dont think they need any explantion in this thread.

8 Likes

@SweViver

Thank you for the detailed answer.
I had a closer look and it were only the non-VR games.
Sorry I was not aware of that issue and the easy solution: “Add to VR library”.

Is there a way how we could get back to PE after a game ?

At the moment after the game SteamVR home is loading and I can’t go back to the PE settings.
I have to take off the headset and manually quit SteamVR.

Not good when I’m trying different settings to find the best for each game.

And I thought PE would set the maxRes 16384 and GPU 2000 values automatically. But it seems that I have to set these values unter “Advanced settings” for each game ?

1 Like

No worries, I understand it may be a bit confusing at first :slight_smile:

While being in game or in SteamVR Home, just bring up the SteamVR dashboard by pressing System menu on your controller. Now click on the Quit icon, and then Quit VR. This will close SteamVR and bring you back to PE in a couple of seconds automatically.

On default, we set 8192 for maxRecommendedResolution. Thats because 16384 is overkill for some PCs (will decrease performance dramatically, especially if Large FOV is used together with PP). And with anything else than 8KX you will hardly see any big difference between 8192 and 16384 unless you do flight simulators and stare at gauges :slight_smile:

The GPUspeed is set to 1500 on default by PE for all default SteamVR Optimization profiles for each game, as far as I remember. We try to use balanced values on default instead of overkilling it and potentially killing performance on low end PCs. Once we have the online (cloud) profiles, we can elaborate with automatically determinating recommended default settings.

In the upcoming versions of PE, we will create a page where you can easily change all default values for all default profiles (bulk operation) and also restore all profiles to default. That includes SteamVR optimization as well.

We will also add ability to manually re-import games for each category with 1 click

8 Likes

Not sure if this has come up already, I did a quick search but nothing obvious came up.

PE tells me it can’t update the Steam VR settings but when I look at the steamvr.vrsettings file in C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\openvr it appears to have been changed and PE has made backup copies.

Known issue or am I doing something wrong?

It sounds like a bug in PE, let us look into this :slight_smile:

Btw is the file in appdata/local/openvr folder the one that your SteamVR config is reading/using, or does it use the one in %steam install path%\config\ folder? PE apply to both files if they exists, but we probably just messed up when the error popup is supposed to be triggered.

1 Like

Thanks!

I think openvr as I couldn’t find steamvr.vrsettings in any other location. Might have missed it though, any way to check which is being used in Steam?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config - is blank

SteamVR is installed here:
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SteamVR\

and default.vrsettings is here:
G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings

What is also interesting is that PE is reading the unchanged values from somewhere.

1 Like

This is easy when you’re using the controllers, but when I play Project Cars, Elite or DCS, I keep the VR controllers off. Yesterday I was trying Elite with 8KX, I finished and wanted to try RaceRoom, but there was no way to do it with mouse without taking off the headset, because SteamVR was open and PE didn’t restart

I was thinking about the best way to achieve this, but maybe someone has already though something. Or maybe PiTools could have an option to close SteamVR when the game ends?

1 Like

If it was that easy it would have already been implemented… :wink:

During closed beta testing it came up several times.

We (we, mortals who do Google-fu) haven’t found an obvious to way to close SteamVR when the game ends (and when a game is running, PE isn’t).

It would be nice if You could just enable a “close SteamVR on game exit” in SteamVR config.

1 Like

Thank you to @SweViver and @arminelec for all that you do to improve on PE for us!

Is there currently or might there be in the future a feature in PE that allows you to switch to, then view/interact-with, your windows desktop in VR from within PE using mouse or controllers… like you can using that app called VRDesktop or steamvr?

@SweViver @arminelec

5 Likes

If you use a bat\script to launch game. Could you not have the script on game exit kill steamvr processes? Or would this have undesirable side effects?

1 Like

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Yes, implementing such feature is currently in our backlog.

7 Likes

Good news, looking forrward to more clever innovation of PE :beer: have a virtual beer on me!

6 Likes

a brutal way is to run the game with a batch, which kills SteamVR in the end, but a cleaner way most definitely exists.

PE isn’t running during game, but PiTools is, and PiTools knows very well that the game is running

1 Like

@SweViver i have gotten new firmware for my 8kx that fixes my black eye problem in 114hz. But i cant switch to 114hz in the pitool experience… in pitool itself it works…

1 Like

But then it’s not up to the PE devs but PiTool devs and it might be a bit further down the line then… :wink:

1 Like

It also comes down to does SteamVR have a way to exit after game exits without user input? Otherwise pitool would simply be using the Kill Process command type deal as well.

1 Like

I think that’s the only way… :wink:

1 Like

For some reason I’m still having issues launching certain games from PE. Majority of my SteamVR games work, but there are some that still require me to launch them directly from SteamVR.

2 Likes

Great work. I try not to run extra things like this especially Steam but I decided to give it a go. The results visually were much better in DCS and I will try some other titles like Elite and SW Squadrons this weekend.

Thanks for continuing to improve on the product and bring us these fantastic updates!

3 Likes

pitool is arse. and doesn’t come close to what PE offers

3 Likes