Pimax Time to answer the CES train wreck

Unfortunately there are those who unlike yourself didn’t take the time to understand what a kickstarter is & have presumed it was a purchase like a store and are/have treated it as such.

I don’t disagree that there hasn’t been missteps. As for delivering? Better communication on things would be prefered. But as some have said PiMax has been better than alot of the ones they had backed in the past.

But back to delivering; the 90hz issue is still too early as no units have shipped. Theorectically if the components were running at there respected mfgr specs then we’d have the 90hz max* refresh rate.

Imho the team is trying to fast track development. In this what I mean is look at Jan 2017 CES when the 8k concept was demoed V1.

8k not ready for Primetime but 4k impresses. 8 to 9 months look at the reviews on the v2. “You have been very busy since v1” they went from 9 months between versions to a version a month. Imo they are trying too hard to get there & impress us. As a result they are stretching themselves too thin.

Will they be able to reach that “holy grail” of 90hz? Only time will tell. But either way I am confident they will deliver an amazing headset. But only if they refocus on their development. Release minor updates.

Ie We are currently testing new methodes/hardware to try to reach 90hz stable. Will update in a couple weeks.

We need to give them room to breathe & focus on their strengths instead of overreacting. Its not the final release.

I too am very passionate about this project & want them to have every success. (Some would say to extremes).

But if I was ridiculous fanboy; then you wouldn’t see me supporting the idea of Oculus/FB goal of a billion ppl in VR. All parties involved are needed to share in this goal to push vr into the mainstream. PSVR still ranks #1 VR headset in headsets sold (not including Cardboard)

10 Likes

It’s not like vive didn’t have it’s issues as well…after 2 months one of lighthouses broke…took them month to fix and return it to me. I wasn’t happy but I understand these things happen…just give pimax time to continue to work thru problems…in the end it be better for all of us…

3 Likes

When pimax delivers solid product it will force all other vr headset makers to accelerate their next gen headsets…if AMD Ryzen cpu didn’t show up…Intel would continue with minor cpu updates…we need the same from them in gpu market…it only helps us as consumers with price and innovation…

5 Likes

I doubt anyone is saying that the product should be final and perfect by now.

The frustration is piling because they say something and do something else.

They started by hiding the 90Hz issue, they apologised and promised to be transparent, to provide regular updates and take on board feedback.

Yet, still no updates except for some very high level with no technical details. This might be acceptable to some but where I’m from if a company says and promises to do something and they don’t then they are not truthful to their word.

I’m certain that every backer wants Pimax to succeed to help move forward the VR industry by sending a strong message to other HMD makers, however I’m really concerned with their attitude and lack of organisation and preparation.

PR skills cannot be done by everyone hence utilise the stenghs of those who are talented in this area and hire someone who can help make an impact.

Spending more than $200K to gather feedback and amass bad press is not a sensible approach. That money could have been spent in a much better way.

So now we have moved from one issue (90Hz) to multiple issues. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m very much in favour of adding more enhancements however it sounds silly to me that they are trying to add extra tweaks to the display i.e more LEDs while there might be a possibility that the whole display might need chaniging in order to achieve the 90Hz.

Sort out the 90Hz issue first then start tweaking the rest of the display and lenses. Back to the drawing board coz we got ourselves a V1 again.

2 Likes

At this point, I wouldn’t mind if they have prototype 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. I heard 10 is a perfect number because God is 10 and man 7, its symbol is a circle.

1 Like

At this rate we might literally end up with a PI number of prototypes

2 Likes

3 and a bit? think we’re past that already :slight_smile:

Issues aside. I agree the lenses look gorgeous! Definatly not the shit Vive are reusing :wink:

1 Like

Hi, just want point out something here many seems to miss, normally your posts goes in that direction but this time I disagree with your comment customer vs backer where backer = gambler = almost no right. I don’t now if many look but WE as backers have a legal contract with Pimax (Although this could be debated in courts by lawyers :wink: and we have rights!

FROM : Section 4 of https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use

Kickstarter is not a part of this contract — the contract is a direct
legal agreement between creators and their backers. Here are the terms (…)

The middle ground that should govern our exchanges in this forum here is:

Also FROM : Section 4 of https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use :
Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of
effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project
to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a
project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering
something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and
there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from
being able to finish the project as promised.

So it’s now Pimax as obligation to explained to us how affected the delivery and feature after this CES. And normally they can do this in private with us using the normal update channel of the kick-starter site.

The should use the update channel to speak to each backers not only here in the forum.

3 Likes

And to be really precise they don’t need to explain why CES 2018 was not a great success they only need to tell us what is the road forward to the completion of the campaign and when the road end…

1 Like

@deletedpimaxrep1,
Perhaps this is not the best forum but If there is a choice for which wireless module Pimax will integrate with the 8k I would prefer the Intel WiGig module instead of the TP Cast one. Intel seems to be far more capable, professional, and user friendly than the TP Cast.

6 Likes

@benz145 . It would be nice if you could pay a little more attention and support towards real Gen 2 devices. Your so quick to report on anything that comes out of HTC even as far as saying the Pro would tip the scales of being gen 2 if it came with the knuckles controllers.

Pimax are getting close to havinv this locked down so please give them a little support. Vive is going to have nothing new for you guys to report for at least the next 18 months

Why dont you start by writing a follow up article with Pimax’s official response to the issues their having? http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-time-to-answer-the-ces-train-wreck/4955/97?u=davobkk

Hey @Davobkk, Ben from Road to VR here. Just want to make sure you aren’t mixing us up with another VR publication (as some other people were in this forum). I think this may be the case because you said we have had “little to no reporting on Pimax over the last year and when they have done a report they tend to focus on the negatives,” but here is a look at the chronology of us covering the company:

• Hands-on: PiMAX’s 8K Headset Proves that High FOV VR is Coming - January, 2017
  • Pimax Teases ‘Next Generation’ Accessories for Its 8K VR Headset - September, 2017
  • Pimax Launches Kickstarter Today For 8K & 5K VR Headsets - September, 2017
  • Pimax Kickstarter Blasts Past $2M Funding Mark, Revealing $2.5M Stretch Goals - October, 2017
  • Pimax “8K” Surpasses Oculus Rift as Top VR Headset Kickstarter Project, $2.45M Raised So Far - October, 2017
  • Pimax Kickstarter Nears $3.5M With Less Than a Week Left, Free Eye-tracking Module Unlocked - October, 2017
  • Pimax Completes $15M Series A Funding Round - December, 2017
  • Pimax Ends VR Headset Kickstarter With Over $4.2M and a Truly Massive Job Ahead - November, 2017
  • Pimax Further Revises ‘8K’ Headset Design, January Shipping Date for Consumer Version Unlikely - December, 2017
  • Hands-on: Pimax “8K” Has Come a Long Way but There’s Still Real Kinks to Iron Out - January, 2018](http://)

I would have linked these but the forum won’t let me add that many links – they can all be googled easily.

There’s a big difference between between being bias and being fair; don’t mix up what you want to be true with what’s actually true.

14 Likes

Hey @Riccardo, founder of Road to VR here. Respectfully, I believe you’re mixing us up with another VR outlet. No harassment fiascos to be found here.

We’ve been covering the VR space since 2011 (a year before Oculus was founded), and remain an independently owned publication. We’re very proud of our journalistic approach to reporting on the VR industry.

10 Likes

All your updates have been about kickstarter and financial backing. No information that anyone else with the internet doesnt have access to. How about an interview? Use your media powers and reach out to the marketing manager Xunshu Li. Tested and Linus have both fully reviewed the V2 prototype. All you’ve done here is gone on the stand and reported a bunch of problems leaving everyone confused. Use your powers to interview somone. Get some answers. Theres people posting videos with their cell phones and you cant even string together an interview

2 Likes

100% I tried responding to my remark a couple times, but I think it won’t show unless you expand the comment to view replies. I totally mixed you guys up with uploadvr. It was a bit of a boneheaded mistake on my part. My apologies!

2 Likes

As a backer, I’m thankful you highlighted all these problems so that we can be sure Pimax team will focus on fixing them before delivering. I’m not looking for a repeat of CV1.

I wish you will be able to test their fixed version asap. last gen issues can hide new specific issues (like those related to angular screen) so the tunnel might still be long.

That said, we are all here because we share this common love to VR. Pimax is small a team and try to do big for this community, we all want them to succeed so it’s important to show them all the love we can as long as the critics, they are trying to make some of the enthusiasm VR’s dream becoming true afterall.

7 Likes

Part gamble yes, but many rules are in the kick starter contract event in case of a total failure, for example they must explain where the cash is gone and even gave a partial refund if possible in the case of a complete failure. Yes I know in real life… but this is still the contract we signed with Pimax.

I don’t think Pimax will fail but they must simply explain to us where we are going after this setback…

1 Like

@benz145

Glad you are showing up here and let me thank you for your report from CES.
Just let me tell you don’t take this comments here personal the report you guys were doing is important because it highligted the problems that need to be fixed on the Pimax 8k.
Since you are a major VR Page your words put a lot more pressure on Pimax to adress those issues than any reddit comment could ever do. Not reporting the issues you saw would let Pimax or any other company get away with those problems so thank you for that.

What happened now is you made some backers here nervous because they fear for their investment and they are running in panic mode on the other side you have guys who are a little more relaxed but sometimes are to enthusiastic in defending Pimax. So in short you heated the discussion up a bit and acccidentily ended under the wheel.

6 Likes

Hi Ben,
thanks for your report. As it seems that today reviews are better than the previous ones, maybe they improved the setup at the Pimax booth at CES since you tried the 8k. Do you think it could be worthwhile for you to go again to the Pimax booth and try the hmd again (if there is still time left)? Maybe you could say you are the author of the RtVR review and could get more time with the staff and with the headset itself, maybe try the DCS demo.
Then, if result were like those of a few days ago, you could just let us know here on the forum, while if the experience is actually improved, you could update your article on RtVR (this would be fair for the Pimax team too).
I have another question for you, you wrote that tracking problems were present even with the previous iterations of the HMD, way before CES, while @deletedpimaxrep1 response attribuited them to changes made to the v5 prototype shown at CES. Do you have an opinion on that? This question is for @deletedpimaxrep1 too of course.
Thanks!

6 Likes