Pimax sword Controllers!

Nah screw 76’ers, single player is the way.

But really i don’t get how this is the same.
Because this isn’t just about what people prefer in feeling between thumbstick and trackpad.
It’s about whether it will work right and work comfortably if the game was designed for one and you use the other. Because with oculus and valve now both having thumbsticks as the main control device, that IS what games are going to be designed for.
Pimax have matched the design and functionality of the ‘norm’ controller for VR (sword matched vive wands, sword sense matching index), that is the smartest option for compatibility, cost and design time.
If you really like touchpad this would suck a lot i know, maybe they will do an alternate design in the future.

From your other post

Obviously it is not, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Again the facts go against what you are saying.

How do they? Their latest announcement is that they have essentially completely copied the knuckles/index controllers. if that isn’t same functionality i dont know what is.

1 Like

MRTV presented the forcetube with knuckles but I wouldn’t know if they fit the Sword.

ForceTube Knuckles

forcetube%20knuckles%202

3 Likes

Read up on OpenXR. It removes fragmentation. Steam can already use a wide variety of controllers it’s a pc not a console.

2 Likes

Yes it can use it, but for things designed for thumbstick controller, i doubt it will always feel as good when playing on thumbpad style controller.

1 Like

I hope the connecting piece between ring and handle is made of metal inside. If it’s just plastic and it’s too thin at this point, it might break. Hopefully it’s a higher quality plastic than the case of the PImax.

3 Likes

The reverse is true. Trackpad games work fine on joystick.

Oculus Touch & Razer Hydra work on Touchpad games & Wands work on Oculus Touch games in Revive & Pitool.

Yes Pimax being way behind in Developing well… Everything. Needs a quick fix to be able to offer full packages & give pre orders the option for cheaper extra cost to controller Lighthouse package & receive on release.

Some pimax backers are likely to go with Vive wand sword controllers due to the uncertainty of pimax’s dev cycle.

But those of us willing to wait should get what was promised. Touchpad sense controllers & there is more than enough pimax posts stating that is what we will get.

So unless they are willing to refund backers who no longer want pimax controllers; it could be interesting to see how things play out.

5 Likes

I have a steamcontroller it works fine on either. The rest is true as said in my other post.

PC is about choices. For basic users you have standard XB & PS controllers. For advanced users you have mouse & Keyboard, Steamcontrollers & things like Hotas.

Trackpad vs Stick is a minor thing for ease of use

2 Likes

Well, I get your point but don’t you think that in the end every backer ends up with an even better product than expected?. I really welcome that design that gives us best of both worlds, after all just realize that trackpad only is a product of the past anyway. U’d be best of to get this nice controllers and simply sell one pair instead of taking a probable coupon deal.
IMHO it’s a win win situation. Since I know that you ain’t got any (6dof) trackpad anyway for now believe me if I say you will not miss it. If you tried the Steam Controller for example you know that it’s a piece of garbage and very limited in usabilty. Even Voodoo is not bitching bout sticks anymore. I think that only those that were used to trackpad before are to lazy to admit that after a while sticks are a better option, cuz they did not try it long enough to really compare. And Hey, they throw a mini trackpad on top, what more could you wish for. I seriously hate my wands and they are also a reason why I still use the OD+ more often instead of the Pimax for now.

Edith; Oops I see that you actually seem to like the steam controller. Well, strange but interesting, you’re the first that I heard of who likes em. Tried them for a week (borrowed it from a friend) and really did not understand its purpose.

Steamcontroller is an enthusiast device. If your thinking of a regular controller it’s not. It requires experimenting on what works best. For example in fps games binding Gyro to right pad you can aim just as fast as mouse users vs Stick.

Friends often on a console didn’t like getting the controller after me as I would customize the layout. The Steamcontroller is actually quite good. I only hate when it’s not properly supported; but community game profiles often work.

Yes selling a set would be smarter than accepting a coupon or refund om backer side.

I have 6dof controller it just been buggy but might be better now. Razer Hydra (should have sold it when folks were paying $300 to $500; i bought for $50).

Pimax needs to stop these non sense changes; I’m not Voodoodx. He’s likely just resigning to pimax’s mindscape. Trackpads as @Siberdt said do have a ton of real uses & backers were split around 50/50 on stick vs pad.

So at present with poor communication (no ks update) they have likely once backers know will have upto 50% fallout; assuming they don’t just quietly ship Sword possibly to evergone without notification & due to avoidance of question “choice”.

The Vive Wands were unimaginative copying of wii mote/psmove controllers.

6 Likes

Hey just to note that I have had confirmation from ProTubeVR that they are working with Pimax to produce the Sword cups just as they did with Valve and the Knuckles, and intend to have them ready for day one of the Sword release :+1:

Edit sorry I see Kellerbach did the same!

5 Likes

Hey @PimaxUSA @anon84525399 is Pimax sending out a new survey to confirm which controllers backers want?

I “think” I chose thumbsticks but I can’t remember for sure. After using my O+ for months the Sense is the only sensible choice for me. I am not a fan of the track pad.

Also, there are still a lot of backers that don’t check this forum and so a response through kickstarter would alleviate future headaches.

2 Likes

I believe @PimaxUSA said yesterday that whatever “choice” system is in place will be based on the system the USA offices are using for return processing. He also said it includes a shipment tracking ability. If this is indeed the case then I would imagine backers would be willing to wait a little longer for a Sense shipment, if the current status was easily accessible. Personally, that would be enough for me to wait a few more months to get the Sense controllers and LHs.

EDIT: @PimaxUSA comment: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimaxusa-wheres-mondays-update/19354/255?u=mrscopi

2 Likes

Most games were designed to treat the track pad as a thumbstick so they will work mostly seamlessly.

There will be some differences in input that would feel different. For example, scrolling of a list. On the track pad you can swipe and throw/catch the list like a smart phone. The same sort of scrolling does not work with a thumbstick very well, for example.

1 Like

This may have been asked before but can we use the $100 coupon for controllers?

My understanding is that the controllers are “made by Pimax”, so the coupon is applicable. @anon84525399, please confirm this.

4 Likes

no, no ,no . pimax said that before shipping they would send a survey to let us choose what controllers we wanted. The landscape was completely different when they made us choose the first time.

1. Steam had not yet released input mapping,
  2. HTC was the only steam vr headset, WMR had just dropped and its controller support at the time was iffy at best

I hate trackpads but I didnt want to risk the lack of compatibility with steam vr so i chose trackpad controllers and added $100 for 1 additional right analog.

Since then the whole game has changed. And The knuckles we were promised is the SwordSense which combines both a trackpad to match the index and a joystick.

I better be getting the SwordSense and the extra $100 i paid can go towards wireless

2 Likes

I would have loved to do that , but the arseoles wont ship to canada

In fairness the trackpad was inherently crippled.

1 Like

The pimax controllers were never meant to be anything other than compatible, back when the campaign ran and they put out the trackpad/sense design it was for parity with the then proposed design of the knuckle controller and the thumbstick version was an oddity that was offered because a lot of people were unhappy with touchpads as a walking input.

The knuckles have evolved and become the index controllers so the pimax aim for the now named Sword Sense controller has followed along with the changes, they want to deliver something compatible with the main controllers for steamvr.

The regular Sword controller will functionally be a vive wand replacement, possibly a bit better if that side grip button is analog. It could then be used in the same way as the grip pressure sensor, meaning that only capsense finger positioning is missing.

I did the exact same for the same reason but got a lefty with stick for movement input.

This guy gets it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone whom has followed Steamvr would have known this concern was mostly unfounded.

With Steamvr adding:

• Razer Hydra driver → Joystick support.
  • Oculus Touch added capsense to stick making compatability even better than Razer Hydra (hydra required button press)

But folks always see what they choose to have anxiety over. The Stesmcontroller even demonstrated this concern was minor with it’s input emulation.

It was never cripple save for those whom prefer a simpler control. I have a friend whom surprising can fps game well using a laptop trackpad; almost as good as a keyboard mouse person.

2 Likes