Pimax Roadshow-Second stop: Yullbe Wunderland

Not sure why the lenses are not your main concern? It were his (“bitepast”) main concern. Fixing eye strain is far from trivial, I’m confident it’s not as easy as just moving the lens forward/backward as he suggests. To me this definitely sounds as THE main key issue. All other things I don’t really doubt they’ll be able to fix. Well tracking indeed might be hard but then you’d just use the LH tracking, which I’m sure they’ll get going too.

The aero really shines in that department, no eye strain AT ALL. If Pimax can’t fix that, I’d take the Varjo over the Crystal any day, even if the colors and FoV would be somewhat better. Eye strain s*cks.

Others reported small sweet spot, it might all be related as ‘bitepast’ thinks it does. Either way this sounds like really a key issue.

No. It’s just $30 fully refundable. We use it to know the production requirement, organize the shipment order and avoid ebay scalpers for the first units. The reservations are much higher than we planned and only 16 people cancelled their reservation in the time the system has been up.

1 Like

someone correct me if i’m wrong but posts can be hidden when a few people flag it for whatever reason using the flag button at the bottom of the post, i imagine that’s whats happened here.

2 Likes

I’ve also experienced that some posts with external links were automatically removed. Algorythms are simply not to be trusted. :rofl:

So far all reports have said the visuals are great, I don’t see any reason to be concerned about the lenses tbh. Bitepast was overall very positive and the negative part I didn’t quite understand. I think they are referring to the sweet spot/eye relief? That can be solved by setting up the headset with spaces etc, not ideal but exactly what I expect from a pimax headset and I’m willing to tinker and work with that (not saying that is good or acceptable, but just that I’m willing to work with that as I have with the 8K X etc). Controller tracking reports so far have been universally “it’s completely broken” so that’s why I’m more concerned as it’s a big issue for me personally.

If other hands on start sharing the same issue then I will be more concerned but for now I’m only really taking opinions on that have been shared by more than 1 hands on impression.

But yeah, if the eye strain is a major issue then it’s a deal breaker for sure I’m just not convinced that it is yet while the controller tracking seems pretty certain already. If more people mention the eye strain issue then it would move up to being my biggest concern.

Wow. Okay, that’s seriously not cool. I’ve never seen that happen here before. That was the screen shot from an official pimax post, right? What’s going on?

Ah okay, reading other people’s posts it seems like an auto flag thing. And it doesn’t appear to have been deleted. Maybe @Heliosurge can rectify it? I have noticed one or two other of @Atmos posts get hidden (that weren’t related at all to this) so maybe there is just a flag on your account or something. I don’t think it’s censorship, let’s wait to hear.

2 Likes

Always keep in mind that the eye tracking isn’t working properly yet, which will fix some visual imperfections.

3 Likes

I think you’re underestimating this big time. It’s not just a matter of moving the lenses. Try it with a lens in your hand, there’s an optimum spot where it’s sharp, if you move if away from that spot it’s going to lose sharpness. I think it’s much more a lens design property. Also, all reviewers until now have had criticism on the lenses, either small sweet spot or eye strain.

5 Likes

For many people who are not so firmly anchored in VR, it is also not clear that there will not be a look through a freshly cleaned window in VR for the next xx years. Things are often called up that cannot yet be solved for technical reasons. VR, until the day a wire is projected into the brain, or directly onto the optic nerve, will always require a compromise.

2 Likes

True but he also said it varied wildly between the headsets present, that’s why I’m not getting too hung up on it for now. If reviewers come out saying that on final units then it’s a deal breaker but it seems much less certain to be objectively bad (that very person you referenced said one of the units was fine) than the controller tracking which seems outright not working from all reports so far.

So… you must be in considerable pain. :joy:

Not sure why that happened. Will need to investigate further. I have restored the post with the screenshot that simply shows pimax missed there launch date and is still in question.

3 Likes

Thank you Heliosurge.

1 Like

Oh ok my mistake

Hi Kevin. The localized dimming sounds extremely promising and could be you best selling point over the competition. Have you tried the Quest Pro? In my opinion it has the worst black levels to date

4 Likes

No reports from the stop-over in Hamburg (Yullbe)? Hmmm. But okay, there were 1-2 positive feedback voices from the Berlin demo so far, so I guess I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

6 Likes

Are you heading tomorrow yourself?

2 Likes

My son lives just outside Austin Texas. I gave him my 5k+ after i got my 8kx. Maybe he ll be able to go to road show there and we can get some feedback.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I will.

Just another (very short) impression I found:

Translation: I tried the Pimax Crystal today. The resolution is great, the display is okay. Everything else is crap from hell. I had the Pimax 4K which already was plastic garbage and Pimax hasn‘t improved the quality one bit.

He obviously didn‘t love it. But he doesn‘t really specify what he is criticizing, so it’s difficult to determine how wellfounded his criticism is.

2 Likes

Uh, I think most people here would doubt that opinion. Many here like their headsets a lot since the days of the 4K in 2015. It’s like a guy screaming “All toyotas are crap! just like the 70’s!”.

The reviews that actually look at the different pieces and at least say something specific about it have been quite positive.

3 Likes