Pimax Roadshow-Second stop: Yullbe Wunderland

Arpara he never actually recommended though, he was hyped on the very initial impression and then say it was bad after using it a bit more and recommended against it. VP2 I do agree, it’s a flawed headset although there does seem to be plenty of happy users so I guess it depends on the person. StarVR I have no idea about.

…I actually loved that headset lol. But yeah, I would never recommend it to anyone except for as a 100-150 secondhand unit for someone that just wants something cheap.

1 Like

Pico 4 was going to be a hit until it appeared on MRTV. :joy:

Haha, what do you mean?

Actually, how are you getting on with your pico 4? Would you recommend it as a PCVR headset? I’m thinking about getting one as an interim headset until crystal, which I gotta assume is a 2-3 months away at least now.

1 Like

Yes, to be fair, he advertised it as an entry.

The headset is actually very nice. It’s boxed up until Christmas day. I got the Bobo battery pack too.

The Store is limited but I’m sure it will grow with time. PCVR works great with VD and the Pico app keeps getting better. It’s worth the asking price. I say get one and try for your self if you want a filler.

1 Like

There might be a Pico4 Black Friday deal so keep a look out.

1 Like

I’m definitely keeping an eye out but not getting my hopes up as it just released so recently, also they are apparently selling at a loss. If it drops to like 300 sterling then I’ll grab one.

The Black Friday deal just went live but it looks like Software only.

Only software I want is Virtual Desktop lol. Also I really wish it had Bigscreen VR as that’s one of the only titles I really like having as standalone.

Bigscreen - We have nothing to announce about Bigscreen on Pico yet, but we’ve noted the interest and always want to support new VR headsets.

I’m sure they will support it at some point in the near future.

Tbf, there are apparently only 46k Pico 4 sold as of last week and Bigscreen’s main market that actually buys tickets is in the US so I guess it makes sense that they aren’t in any rush.

That’s sad for pimax then who only sold 100,000 in 7 years.

For me Bigscreen needs 8k VR to see a true 4k movie image. I honestly see Apple as THE go to HMD for quality native 4k movie watching.

On a side note I just watched my first live native 4k football match today. Qatar v Ecuador. looked great.

hey Tiktok have much more money in the background

1 Like

True, which means Pimax can’t afford to cockup as much as they have.

3 Likes

I read that the Pico 4 isn’t selling as fast as they’d hoped- 47000 units so far. I think that’s pretty good for the short time they’ve been available.

2 Likes

Why would pimax show the product in this state? You’re asking people to pay $30 in a pre order $1,600 in a final product and you show the product in a pre-alpha state? Haven’t we been down this road before?

It also sounds like the lenses aren’t done. Hopefully you guys aren’t out of money, because I can’t think of any other reason why you would attach this to a Kickstarter for another product, while also taking pre-orders.

I’m really excited for your Crystal headset, and I’m sure when it’s done and ready it’ll be great. Showing the product when it’s in this state to YouTubers, influencers, or at Road shows is going to give people the wrong idea about what ultimately will be a good product just like the 8kx is a good product

3 Likes

Ok, I’ve been reading through the discord Q&A on the roadshow, and it looks like there’s some misinformation in this thread.

1. Kevin says the lens in the crystals at the show are absolutely NOT Fresnel.
    2: one poster quoted a quick outline of an attendees experience with the crystal posted on the MRTV discord, and it was pretty darn positive.
    he wrote:

Tyke — Today at 11:56 AM
reaction from nuclear.pengiun in the mrtv discord :

"Well first of all, I plan to make proper summary later. Unfortunately, I am right already during business trip so my availability is limited.
I spent there like few hours of time discussing with everyone, testing the units. Very good overal experience.

Importaint remarks:

FOV is a little bit higher than Aero, but comparable. I triee both ine sfter another, but its hard to tell how big difference js.
With Crystal, after pushing the facial interface there is a potential for increase with custom covers or even 3D printed gaskets.
Clarity is comparable or even higher than Aero.
Blacks look much, much better than anything I have seen so far. Local dimming is amazing. SweViver made a presentation where he disabled and then enabled it again in pimax experience menu with black background. Amazing.
Edge to edge clarity - comparable or the same as Aero.
Chromatic abberation or distortions are not an issue. I deliberately tried the background with paralel and perpendicular lines ( like #) and distortions were a little bit seen, but only if you really look for them hard. Not seen during text reading, not even mentioning games.
Colors are absolutely great"

Now back to my post here…
Apparently the Portal is getting some good comments too. And Kevin (I think) pointed out that the software is what’s changing from day to day- the hardware is- as I understand- pretty much finalized.
I’ll be interested in seeing what Sebastian has to say when the Road Show gets to his place. Reading between the lines, I think he was a bit skeptical of the Portal. Heck so am I, but what I’m reading so far on the discord makes me think that maybe I wasn’t so dumb buying into the kickstarter.
Cheers All.

3 Likes

Yeah, the fact that it’s not all negative is a good indicator. There will always be issues with roadshow type events and things breaking/crashing. It does sound excessive from the few impressions we heard, although negative tends to be louder than positive, so maybe over the next few roadshows the issues that stem from the environment they are showing it within will be ironed out and impressions will be more based on the experience of the headset itself rather than crashing etc.

My only real concern is the controller tracking tbh. It seems like it hasn’t been working for the most part and the few impressions we got said that it was drifting and not really working well at all, and that’s with the tracking set to “max” mode or whatever, that uses up the battery in 30 mins. I guess the components they are replacing are a big part of the issue and causing interference, so hopefully tracking will really be sorted soon and working well.

I’m not cancelling my pre-order anyway, gonna see how things and see how the crystal is myself in person. I really hope Pimax can pull it off as I’m hoping for this to be my main headset for a few years going forward.

1 Like

did i miss something? Wasn’t that $20 or 30 ?

Review on Reddit