Pimax Roadshow-Second stop: Yullbe Wunderland

Yeah, I guess I will.

Just another (very short) impression I found:

Translation: I tried the Pimax Crystal today. The resolution is great, the display is okay. Everything else is crap from hell. I had the Pimax 4K which already was plastic garbage and Pimax hasn‘t improved the quality one bit.

He obviously didn‘t love it. But he doesn‘t really specify what he is criticizing, so it’s difficult to determine how wellfounded his criticism is.

2 Likes

Uh, I think most people here would doubt that opinion. Many here like their headsets a lot since the days of the 4K in 2015. It’s like a guy screaming “All toyotas are crap! just like the 70’s!”.

The reviews that actually look at the different pieces and at least say something specific about it have been quite positive.

3 Likes

Those I saw have been a mixed bag - some were positive, some negative in conclusion. But far too few to really draw any meaningful conclusions yet.

I am not sure it was a good choice that Pimax didn’t wait with the road show until the headsets are completely functional. What are the reviewers supposed to say? Hardly anybody will be able to recommend a pre-order as it is uncertain if & when the missing/non-functional/poorly functional features will be successfully implemented/fixed.

8 Likes

Pimax are in denial. They should give a production unit to Linus that way Pimax will get all the credit they deserve.

I hope they do, and I think they will, but probably not as early as the usual VR reviewers etc. They did send them an 8K X but LTT never reviewed it (Linus said he was going to do it but it was unwearable for him, I think he said due to his nose size, but that he might give it to another staff member to review if someone stepped up to it).

3 Likes

Agreed while the black housing was horrible even in some ways compared to the p4k. The Vision blue housing is decent with only a few or so reports of failing.

He only remarks on resolution being good while claiming the panels are only okay. Then no mention of lens quality or really anything else. The p4k never had a real tracking system save a mix mash with Nolo and we all know how well Nolo is. Which made it surprising they temporarily had Artisan’ s packaged with Nolo.

This review posted by @hammerhead_gal posted is much more detail by a fellow in a Flightsim forum.

The good edge to edge clarity with the 140 lenses. In his case he says no distortion compared to the Aero which is veru good news.

On the bad it seems the controllers are not ready so a kin maybe was it Htc Cosmo that had terrible inside out?

I would say should have been resolved for the um… October sales launch that well were still waiting on with it almost being December.

But we all know pimax’s release dates rarely are on time. Most often 3 months to a year or 2 at worst.

So @PimaxUSA I would pressure them to have the LH face plate module ready for purchase whenever the Actual launch to purchase the Crystal. With Christmas just around the corner pimax may find they have lost the window this year to sell as folks start focusing on Christmas.

4 Likes

We have a firmware for it where the tracking is great but it kills the battery life. Striking a balance between accuracy and battery is what the firmware guys focused on mostly.

2 Likes

You would think Qualcomm would have this worked out as this is if not mistaken 3rd or 4th headset(maybe more) using there inside out controllers.

This also clearly demonstrates the Crystsl was not ready for shipping in Oct or even November. So do we have an eta on the new launch?

4 Likes

Isn’t that the tracking that people tried at Berlin that was broken? Not trying to be negative or anything, just you yourself said that it was the high frequency tracking mode that reduced battery time (30 minutes according to people at the roadshow) but that has been what was tried and the feedback from it.

The settings and firmware for the crystal controllers is a challenge because lots of people wanting to try them and the highest accuracy mode does at this time reduce the battery life a lot.

That was the quote from yourself. So far no one has had anything positive to say about the controller tracking, and considering that hardware is being replaced within the headset and controllers to help improve the tracking it seems pretty clear that the controller tracking still needs a lot of work. I’d love to believe you that it’s great right now but that’s a struggle tbh. It could just be that everyone that has reported on trying the controllers so far has been unlucky I guess. A quick video showcasing the tracking of the controllers, even at this high battery use mode, would alleviate the concern. Personally the controller tracking is my biggest worry, although I do think yous will get there with it and LH can work in the mean time for enthusiast early adopters.

5 Likes

I can’t see him as a fair minded reviewer. Even in the video where Linus admitted improvements in the Pimax 8K he damned it with faint praise tItling his review ‘fool me once…’ implying that Pimax was trying to slip something over on him.
I am probably overly harsh here because his voice grates on me. It’s like fingernails on a chalkboard for me,

5 Likes

Haha, I can understand that. He does value clickbait more than objectivity when it comes to titles that’s for sure. I actually can’t remember that review all that well, will need to go back and watch it again. That also makes me wonder why could he handle reviewing that one but not the 8K X when they are the exact same, afaik, in terms of ergonomics etc.

2 Likes

Linus has high expectations of any product but he does give companies leeway if they admit and commit to fixing problems. This is where Pimaxes inherent problems lye. They would rather deny a problem exists and blame the end user. This grates on Linus but it’s a reflection of real world users who will just send a product back to Amazon for a refund.

It’s why my Index lives on and on and Pico 4 gets unrapped on Christmas Day. They just work out of the box. All functions. Non of them have eye tracking to worry about. It’s designed for simplicity.

Pimax are still working on the 8kX firmware and the Sword controllers never became a thing of substance. Crystal looks messy and the 12k is non existent on any level.

Pimax need to do just one thing, but do it well.

3 Likes

He is also a big hypocrite. He criticized Pimax like others about the 8k moniker not being 8k. Then also made a video using 6 4k projectors together calling it 12k which would require 9. 3 wide by 3 high. Where as he had 3 wide by 2 high. lol

If linus is reviewing something he is not into you can see it.

4 Likes

I’d love to see almost anyone but Linus review it, and I’ve still got plenty of issues with the main VR reviewers. The guy is nothing but entertainment and not that great for taking serious opinions from. The quality and polish of their reviews have also been going down quite a bit in comparison to everyone else when it comes to things like GPUs

2 Likes

Agreed VR manufacturers should use single panel resolution.

I think Linus had a brain fart when described 6 4k panels as 12k and not nine. He does those things for fun though and the click bait.

2 Likes

I disagree, I never liked the motto “what’s not there can’t be broken”

There are consumer products for that, Pimax is not a consumer product, it’s a product for enthusiasts, and enthusiasts like me just want one thing: everything.

And if everything doesn’t work out of the box we are proud to contribute as a tester so that it will later. We, the enthusiasts, would pay money to get today the prototype that no one else has seen yet. We are the ones who buy products on Kickstarter two years before they are on Amazon

Everybody else is a lazy consumer user

1 Like

You can only speak for yourself!

2 Likes

Pimax need consumers to stay in business. Pimax has already had $40 million to turn headsets into profit. Investors don’t give their money for free.

The Pimax you are talking about is the Kickstarter Pimax. But the Crystal and 12k are not Kickstarter.

Pimax are burning over $5million a year. They need to make profit from consumers not make prototypes for enthusiasts.

If you want a constant prototype then Pimax is not for you there maybe other Kickstarters that will make your perfect headset.

Pimax now have 300 employees that need to churn out volume before more funding is needed before Pimax runs dry.

1 Like

Pimax cannot compete in the consumer market because that market has competitors that can effortlessly put them out of business. Actually Meta has killed much bigger competitors than Pimax

They could be faster only making headsets dangerously similar to those of their competitors. Pimax survives only creating headsets that no one else would ever make and selling them for $2,000 to users who understand that raising the bar so high is hard and you can’t have everything at once

1 Like

No, I can speak for enthusiasts like me as well, and that’s exactly what I wrote.

1 Like