Pimax Crystal Roadshow Review:Through-the-lens video!

16 Likes

It’s good news the binocular overlap is this good, this got me interested again :slight_smile: , i just returned my Varjo because it was far to small for me

3 Likes

There is also good news from this fellow regarding Lens distortion vs the aero.

Too bad to hear about the controller issues. Hopefully they can have that sorted out. Or make sure the LH plate is ready for launch. Though personally just make hybrid tracking to use steamvr controllers melded with Inside out native. No need for the LH plate then.

4 Likes

Yes that’s promising, allthough distortions are subjective but there will be more impressions soon :wink:
I had eyestrain and really bad warping in one eye with the Varjo also, while many people say it’s near perfect and i tried everything maybe this was a bad headset, i dont know…
Typical Pimax decision to go on the road with unfinished headsets :smiley:, thats not convincing to put it mildly, i will wait for Amazon, that’s better then getting a small discount

2 Likes

Indeed promising. Save claiming the Crystal was ready at the end of Sept and would ship in China in Oct with worldwide sales for November. At least they only took $30 reservations vs the full monty.

But still makes pimax lool bad with the unfortunate appearance that the Sept announcement contained half truths. It should be good once it releases as long as they ship with the controllers working properly to Avoid the HTC Cosmos fiasco launch of inside out tracking.

Pimax really needs to work on honest accurate announcements with updates when there are issues instead of pretending everything id on Track. Hopefully one day Pimax will learn this much needed transparency that will help consumer trust and confidence.

9 Likes

i could not have said it better…

1 Like

Great image quality, accurate HDR color and contrast, 120hz refresh rate, low distortion and good binocular vision !! Man, these are everything I ever needed for a VR headset ! Controller issues? Nah, not care at all.
Now I just wait to see if they can host the event in New York City so I can take a look myself. :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t see that happening. We already came from CES2022 with all those shinnanigans forth with. 10 months later we’re in exactly the same boat.

Only 6 weeks to CES2023 and I can’t see all these problems going away especially if they need a hardware revision.

The problems with the Controllers as far as I can tell is to do with the brightness of the LEDs. Turn them down to save battery and the cameras cant see them. If Pimax have coated there controllers blocking the light output then it’s back to the drawing board.

3 Likes
  • eyetracking, auto ipd adjustment etc
2 Likes

I hope Pimax thought about including manual IPD adjustment in their software.

2 Likes

Yeah, here we got a genius who already figured out the solution ! No, it’s not because the complicated interaction between the Quacomm XR chip, headset firmware, and its tracking algorithm to eliminate the light noise. It’s a LED brightness issue. Simply increase the brightness and the problem is gone.

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not.

2 Likes

I think they are- but we also need manual fore and aft adjustment of the lenses to adjust for vision issues and face shapes that need to be at varying distances from the lenses for optimal performance. To me , auto IPD and some sort of fore/aft adjustment is essential to making the new HMD’s user friendly, if not yet ‘plug and play’.

1 Like

I wonder if the fore/aft adjustment could be built into the HMD’s face mask? That might be easier than moving the lenses, and still be convenient for the user. I don’t think offering varying thicknesses of mask padding is a good long term solution.

1 Like

Well this is indeed a cultural related issue and not easy to change. They have gotten to be somewhat better but it us indeed an uphill battle when venturing into worldwide market.

This does seem quite possible even maybe a change in the led colour. Either way you would have thought Qualcomm should have it much more refined as it is there controller tech and is something like there 3rd or 4th hmd using there platform.

At least the controller tracking method here is proven so software can improve it. My understanding about the Cosmos was beyond just software, it was a flawed implementation from the beginning. We can see that when they switched to IR Led style tracking with the Focus 3 then their tracking solution was completely usable while cosmos remains awful to this day.

I couldn’t agree more about the honesty btw. It’s fine if some aspects aren’t ready and need work, just be honest about it and people will be understanding. If you tell people stuff is coming tomorrow and is all good to go but then that’s not the case then what’s the point? Let people enjoy the dream for 1 day and then shatter all good will? It’s just an odd approach.

3 Likes

I thought it was usually the frequency of the pulses rather than the brightness. That’s how Quest 2 had such better battery life, the halved the refresh rate of the tracking LEDs but improved the software to compensate (obviously more than just that but in a nutshell).

2 Likes

I suppose you can do both, turn the voltage down or up the frequency. Either one I’d imagine dims the light output.

You’d think Qualcomm would give a recommendation though. Doesn’t the Quest 2 have a 15 hour battery life?

@Atmos The Quest 2 maxes out at 2.3 to 3 hours. Maybe 4 with some sort of additional battery pack.
I’d think the Crystal should do a couple of hours, and maybe a bit more once they get things sorted. The crystal will come with two batteries that can be hot swapped.
Two hours in VR is a long time for me, but maybe it isn’t for others.

Sorry wee we’re talking about controllers.

1 Like