[Pimax Response Required] Is there an official solution for eyestrain and IPD issues in the works?

I don’t know if they will, but I think they should offer a narrow IPD version that goes down to 55 mm or less, considering that they said that’s what the 5K+/8K would do.

4 Likes

Bump for recognition

1 Like

Bump for recognition

1 Like

There are people, like myself that still have eye strain issues. The problem here seems to be that the screen separation and IPD values don’t add up. Either the 3D depth is off or eyes are being strained. Seems to me like there isn’t proper hardware IPD calibration and that is what is causing it. In order to have correct vision in VR the hardware IPD and software IPD has to match up. For instance, when I set my correct IPD, then the 3D depth seems to be correct, except my eyes are being pulled apart unnaturally. If I set my IPD lower then the 3D depth is incorrect but my eyes aren’t being strained. This seems like it could be solved with a software patch as the screens themselves don’t physically move (only the lenses from my understanding). Or at least give us the option to adjust screen separation ourselves, apart from IPD adjustment.

8 Likes

Would be nice if we got some kind of update on this issue.
@anon74848233, @mozi, @PimaxVR, @Pimax-Support, @PimaxUSA

Waiting and waiting…

And still waiting. My eye strain lessens when I lower the IPD setting, but it stops at 59.9. I still need to go lower.

2 Likes

i get the impression that Pimax thinks by keeping quiet and not responding to the IPD problem and all the other problems like the cracked casings that the problem will just go away. I DONT THINK SO :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nah just nothing to report as likely still investigating this variance is user experience. This seems to be some of similar ipds affected while most seem okay.

Cracked casing seems there conceding it’s a bigger issue with considering shipping users front housing possibly the ruggedized front casing. :thinking: :smirk: :innocent:

1 Like

The bad eye strain didnt really bother me too much when I first got the HMD because I was so “wowed” by the FOV and awesome LCD colors, but as time went on I knew there was something that wasnt right regarding eye strain. I wonder if most just dont realize that they can have a much better image without the eye strain and they just think its normal in VR

1 Like

It’s possible those whom adapted to eye strain caused by low res & sde have adapted for sure.

But myself I skipped the low Res Sde of early gen1 after trying Oculus dk1 & not being wowed by Rift & og vive. Some got eyestrain from p4k due to fixed lenses with only soft ipd(similar to psvr) or eye strain due to being designed for minor myopia to 20/20 vision.

I do believe they need ipd correction for Asymetry & a proper head mount system. Hopefully the delay on this pitool release is more than XR testing(which don’t make sense as they can test XR features until release of said model) like implementing ipd soft correction.

Plus like Risa explained in detail some of it will be design trade offs to acheive wide FoV. Wide FoV has it’s own limits which are different than round lens restricted FoV vr.

Somethings might simply be like SDE & gen1 vr sickness. One may end up needing to get “legs” for it.

1 Like

Well I just spent the last hour trying to get My Pimax 5K+ working and gave up, will have a better look tomorrow, its all working apart from I can not get the screes to come on, well there on but not displaying anything.
I went back to my OG vive and its not as bad as I though it was going to be, especially the eye strain, I defiantly tell the difference after using the Pimax the Vive is so much better on the eyes. the colors are way way better to, the small FOV gos away and I did not notice it that much after about 5 minuets, SDE was not as bad as I was exspecting ether but the Pimax is much better for less SDE, coming to the conclusion that the Pimax it not that grate so dont think I will miss it when I RMA it.

1 Like

Lately, I’ve been having this issue too. I’ve been able to fix it, by rebooting the headset in PiTool. Sometimes I have to do it twice.

I’ve recently changed my start up procedure based on comments on this forum: First I turn on the headset, then the lighthouse, then I start PiTool. I’m going to try my old order, to see if it makes any difference: PiTool, lighthouse, then headset.

1 Like

Now this would be nice! :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

I was able to get past SDE, P4K’s bad colors & myopia with some reader lens mod, and most other VR anomolies, but I still struggle with the 8K’s eye strain :frowning:

1 Like

Like I said it doesn’t make sense to hold back a pitool release to test an unreleased headset like the XR.

Hopefully they are implementing potential fixes to improve things for a wider audience.

There are some interesting new features in the newly-released beta version of PiTool.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-1-121-beta-test-release-for-brainwarp-1-0/18306?u=neal_white_iii

@stixvr @Possyguset

3 Likes

Thought they might announcement as they released it earlier in a p4k discussion to test NoloVR. :smirk:

Nice! Thanks for posting

2 Likes

That should help. I wonder if it includes IPD centre line adjustment for non-symmetric users as well as overall IPD adjustment?

2 Likes

No, the new beta version does not seem to have that feature, but it sounds like Pimax may try to do it.

2 Likes